BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/17/2023 9:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish]
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_70410/

Looks just like my 2018 Remlin but twice the price. And I'm not complaining one bit about the price. IMO, they're worth every penny.

Now I'm curious to see what's next.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed the new 336 is almost 3x the price of my Remarlington.  Quality is probably quite a bit better, tho.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No threaded barrel? No go for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 12:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSchell1309] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thebert:
No threaded barrel? No go for me.
View Quote

Keep the blued steel with wood and give me a 16" threaded barrel and the more modern grip angle stock. Done deal, I will throw my wallet at it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By golfish:

Looks just like my 2018 Remlin but twice the price. And I'm not complaining one bit about the price. IMO, they're worth every penny.

View Quote

If you bought a new gun in 2018 for $600 you did good. They regularly sold for more than that even ten years prior.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#5]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

If you bought a new gun in 2018 for $600 you did good. They regularly sold for more than that even ten years prior.
View Quote

Yeah, they were on sale at Turners Outdoorsman in late July of 2018 for $699.99. I really thought I paid $629.99 for it. My bad.

Normal price would have been $739.99 and Turner's isn't all that great so they would have been on GB for closer to $650 or less.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
I've noticed the new 336 is almost 3x the price of my Remarlington.  Quality is probably quite a bit better, tho.
View Quote

Maybe…

I’m out at these prices Ruger wants for the new Marlins. Might as well just buy a JM for the same money.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Have Chris call me when the .45 Colt 1894 drops.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

Maybe…

I’m out at these prices Ruger wants for the new Marlins. Might as well just buy a JM for the same money.
View Quote

I’d rather have the Ruger for the same money. They’ll fix it if it breaks. Who’ll fix your JM?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:

I’d rather have the Ruger for the same money. They’ll fix it if it breaks. Who’ll fix your JM?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triburst1:

Maybe…

Not to mention its a much better built gun. JM Marlins were never great, they were a cheap alternative to Winchester.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
My stainless Remlin with threaded barrel in .357 was about $1k in March 2020 right as society was starting to collapse.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Radiolucent:
My stainless Remlin with threaded barrel in .357 was about $1k in March 2020 right as society was starting to collapse.
View Quote

I think that's about what I paid for mine but can't remember exactly when it was. I had set notifications everywhere and had given up actually finding one. Months later I got one from Grabagun and snagged it and they went out of stock immediately and I never saw another before it all went to crap with Remington.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep…. Looks just like this Remlin .357 I picked up NIB on Monday for $900. This gun is nicer than my JM Marlin but my JM Marlin was only $600.

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By usncorpsman1:
Yep…. Looks just like this Remlin .357 I picked up NIB on Monday for $900. This gun is nicer than my JM Marlin but my JM Marlin was only $600.

https://i.postimg.cc/vT5xcbz0/IMG-1487.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/yYXSK6Wd/IMG-1488.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Dwv4wVbc/IMG-1489.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/0yVM6tY1/IMG-1490.jpg
View Quote

Looks nice! I think some of the JM idolatry is off. Remington had their issues, but I’ve had plenty of JM rifles that weren’t anything special. The later Remlins were good. Ruger has seemingly taken the brand to a whole new level. My 1895 is a piece of art and I plan to buy more. Side note: Rossi has brought their game up too with the 92s.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruger took all of the new CNC machines and other that Remington upgraded too and basically started building the same guns that Rem did in the later years. By the time Remington got it right it was too late for them. Their reputation was already in the crapper.

They couldn't make any money selling their guns at such a low price.

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Ruger took all of the new CNC machines and other that Remington upgraded too and basically started building the same guns that Rem did in the later years. By the time Remington got it right it was too late for them. Their reputation was already in the crapper.

They couldn't make any money selling their guns at such a low price.

View Quote

Ruger did extensive tolerance stacking studies and made the appropriate adjustments to the cnc machines before production began in earnest. That’s why the rollout has been so slow. To say that the later Remlins are the same as the Rugers is incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Damnit! Just when I thought I was done spending money. . .
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#18]

Ruger did extensive tolerance stacking studies and made the appropriate adjustments to the cnc machines before production began in earnest. That’s why the rollout has been so slow. To say that the later Remlins are the same as the Rugers is incorrect.
View Quote

Or maybe Remington "did extensive tolerance stacking studies and made the appropriate adjustments to the cnc machines " but continued to sell guns until they hit the sweet spot in 2018.

I only have a 2018 Remington made 1894 to compare to a 2023 Ruger made 336. I can't say they're "the same" but they are both great guns and the fit and finish on both are equal. I wouldn't say the Ruger is better or worse.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Or maybe Remington "did extensive tolerance stacking studies and made the appropriate adjustments to the cnc machines " but continued to sell guns until they hit the sweet spot in 2018.

I only have a 2018 Remington made 1894 to compare to a 2023 Ruger made 336. I can't say they're "the same" but they are both great guns and the fit and finish on both are equal. I wouldn't say the Ruger is better or worse.

View Quote

My experience with a late model 1894 Remlin was quite different. The first one had rifling that looked it was cut with a cold chisel and the bolt had about 1/16” lateral movement with the action closed. That went back and was replaced by a gun that had about 3/32” gaps in the wood to metal fit. It also had large ripples in the trigger guard plate that a blind man couldn’t miss. It astonished me that a part so obviously flawed was held in someone’s hand and installed anyway. Whatever Remington was doing to improve QC was too little too late.
Don’t get the impression that I’m a Ruger fan, I’m most definitely not. I’m not very enthusiastic about their policy of having firearms built 100% by assemblers and not gunsmiths. A little gunsmithing here and there is a form of quality control. By all reports, however, they seem to be doing a good job with the Marlins. I wish they would make the same effort in there other product lines. All of their single action handguns have a burr in the exact same place that has managed to get by everyone. It can be fixed by a swipe or two of a small round jewleler’s file but assembler’s aren’t allowed to do that so the same flaw keeps getting shipped out year after year. Ruger can’t seem to get the barrel indexing just right and there are inconsistencies in their polishing and bluing.
As prices continue to rise I find myself less likely to be forgiving of small imperfections.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#20]

My experience with a late model 1894 Remlin was quite different. The first one had rifling that looked it was cut with a cold chisel and the bolt had about 1/16” lateral movement with the action closed. That went back and was replaced by a gun that had about 3/32” gaps in the wood to metal fit. It also had large ripples in the trigger guard plate that a blind man couldn’t miss. It astonished me that a part so obviously flawed was held in someone’s hand and installed anyway. Whatever Remington was doing to improve QC was too little too late.
Don’t get the impression that I’m a Ruger fan, I’m most definitely not. I’m not very enthusiastic about their policy of having firearms built 100% by assemblers and not gunsmiths. A little gunsmithing here and there is a form of quality control. By all reports, however, they seem to be doing a good job with the Marlins. I wish they would make the same effort in there other product lines. All of their single action handguns have a burr in the exact same place that has managed to get by everyone. It can be fixed by a swipe or two of a small round jewleler’s file but assembler’s aren’t allowed to do that so the same flaw keeps getting shipped out year after year. Ruger can’t seem to get the barrel indexing just right and there are inconsistencies in their polishing and bluing.
As prices continue to rise I find myself less likely to be forgiving of small imperfections.
View Quote

Oh my! It sounds like my experience with Rossi..

Do you know the manufacturer date of the 2 Marlins?  It's like I said and you, by the time Remington got it right, it was too late. They had ruined the Marlin name and not too many people wanted to take a chance.

I do like my Ruger 336 but I'm surprised the price hasn't come down on them. I lucked out on mine and ordered it right when they came out from my local gun store. The prices are really high on them ($1700 +) and I suspect the price on these new 1894's will stay above 2k for a while.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Yesterday, went to the local Gun Store to see if they had any new 336s.

Sure enough, just got one in. Very nice fit up of wood to metal joints, great coloring of wood and action relatively smooth. Trigger still flops around but broke cleanly.

The clerk also stated they had other 30-30 lever actions too including a Rossi and Henry side-gate.

The wood on the Rossi was unfinished. Stain lacked in spots along stamping on fore-end. The action was smooth and trigger was heavy.

The Henry had an octagon barrel with buckthorn rear site. The action was stiff with a lack-luster trigger. The brass receiver looks nice but honestly felt like I needed to wear a suit to take it out on a date hunting.

Prices. The Rossi was two Benjamins less while Henry was two Benjamins more.

Still feel the prices of these 336s are outta line, especially when in 2006, I picked up a 1895XLR Stainless 45/70 for nearly half of today's price of the new 336s.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
The pricing on the Ruger Marlins in the wild are all over the chart. The .44 mag 1884s are settling down a bit. There are several on Gunbroker with “ buy it now prices of $1049 or less. Craig’s Firearm Supply in Tennessee is selling them for $959. They had some 336s also but I don’t know their price on them. I think the .357 mags will probably remain high until demand wans.
I don’t get the high price of the 336 though. I guess enough people want them to keep the demand up. I saw a couple of boxes of Federal 30/30 at WM yesterday for $27 & change per box. The pre covid price was around $12. No thank you. It’s a crazy market.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#23]

I don’t get the high price of the 336 though. I guess enough people want them to keep the demand up.
View Quote

Its been the only Ruger Marlin I've wanted so when they were first released in April I ordered one from my LGS and got it for $1099.99. They're more of a "tactical" shop so it was probably the only one they thought about ordering (too bad for them) I don't care much for laminated stocks or stainless steel guns so the rest don't interest me.

I can't even imagine what these new 94s are going to reach. The 44s don't set any kind of example because most people don't want a 44 mag..
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in the market for a .357 lever action and this looks like it will be just what I need.  Just have to wait for the price to come down a little.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

How much?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Have Chris call me when the .45 Colt 1894 drops.
View Quote

I’m hoping for a .41
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
I'm in the market for a .357 lever action and this looks like it will be just what I need.  Just have to wait for the price to come down a little.
View Quote

To what? If it's like their 45/70's they never have gotten low.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

How much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

How much?

For what?

Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:

I’m hoping for a .41

Brother, I'd love to have a 94 in 41 mag..
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]
The only Marlin I ever had was a 1995 336 that was a legit 10 moa gun at best. I don’t know how bad Remington did with them, but if Ruger makes them as good as their Single Action revolvers, they’re still junk and will require a gunsmith to make somewhat right.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

To what? If it's like their 45/70's they never have gotten low.
View Quote

I know they won't go as low as years past, but I was hoping for something less than $1000.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll pony up the cash when they do a 16 inch.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By shasta69:
Yesterday, went to the local Gun Store to see if they had any new 336s.

Sure enough, just got one in. Very nice fit up of wood to metal joints, great coloring of wood and action relatively smooth. Trigger still flops around but broke cleanly.

The clerk also stated they had other 30-30 lever actions too including a Rossi and Henry side-gate.

The wood on the Rossi was unfinished. Stain lacked in spots along stamping on fore-end. The action was smooth and trigger was heavy.

The Henry had an octagon barrel with buckthorn rear site. The action was stiff with a lack-luster trigger. The brass receiver looks nice but honestly felt like I needed to wear a suit to take it out on a date hunting.

Prices. The Rossi was two Benjamins less while Henry was two Benjamins more.

Still feel the prices of these 336s are outta line, especially when in 2006, I picked up a 1895XLR Stainless 45/70 for nearly half of today's price of the new 336s.
View Quote

That was 17 years ago. (it hurts to say that)
We've had at least a couple years of record inflation in the intervening time. And Ruger did a complete overhaul, if reports are to be believed, of the production line including tooling and machinery, which is not a quick or cheap process. So I'm not surprised that new production examples are substantially more expensive than they were almost two decades ago.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I want one with a threaded barrel and the ghost ring sight+rail they put on the SBL
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperEighteen] [#35]
I’d like to see a stainless trapper in either .45 Colt or .357.  Either wild fit my needs. Looking forward to seeing one.

Edit. My first real firearm purchase was a Marlin 336CS. Bought it at K-Mart for $159.00
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

There was a video of the plant tour of the Mayodan, NC plant where Ruger builds the Marlins.  They said they made a lot of changes to the process to increase tolerances and fitment of parts.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#37]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:

There was a video of the plant tour of the Mayodan, NC plant where Ruger builds the Marlins.  They said they made a lot of changes to the process to increase tolerances and fitment of parts.
View Quote

I'd be interested in that video. Is it on YouTube?

I have no doubt that Ruger is making good guns and improved them. I have the OP gun made by Remington in 2018 and I have a 336 made by Ruger (April this year) They are both beautiful guns and work perfect. I wouldn't say that one is made better than the other.

I believe that Remington got it together in 2018 and started making good guns, maybe as good as what Ruger is making now.  Around that time they figured out that they couldn't make any money selling them for $700.00. (Çheapest "buy now" on GB is $1230) probably one of the main reasons they sold Marlin off, IMO of course..

It's nice to see that this model is selling for MSRP..

The dark walnut on these new 94s is really nice. I wish my 336 had that.

The Remington is on the bottom.

The 336 Ruger made Marlin

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Probably a bit impractical to thread?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:33:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#39]
@golfish

Here’s a video or the Ruger / Marlin factory that goes through the different steps of the process.

Start at the 14:40 mark for Marlin rifles. The sound quality is crap.
Ruger/Marlin factory
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By steve8140:
@golfish

Here’s a video or the Ruger / Marlin factory that goes through the different steps of the process.

Start at the 14:40 mark for Marlin rifles. The sound quality is crap.
Ruger/Marlin factory
View Quote

Sweet!  Thanks for posting that up, brother..
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I cringed when the Ruger Marlins first started hitting the market and the prices were so god awful high, but I really have to bring myself to understanding that it's not a "three hundred bucks at Jimbob's Gun Shop" world anymore.  It looks like the Walnut .44s are going for a grand at CDNN, and I'm sure the .357s will come down to a vaguely reasonable cost as well.  I'd have ZERO problem paying a thousand bucks for a .357 once they even out, and this "should" drive down the prices on the Henrys and Rossis.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I always thought a .357/.38 lever gun would be a great rifle, and wanted one for years, so I got myself an early Christmas present.

Now to research what ammo it might like, and I bet I'll end up with a pistol in the same caliber.   Down the rabbit hole I go.

Any thoughts on the new rifling since it won't be the micro-groove, but standard rifling.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By tvone:

Any thoughts on the new rifling since it won't be the micro-groove, but standard rifling.
View Quote

Mine likes 158gr bullets and up. I mostly load 180gr these days for my 357 long guns.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 6:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DH243] [#44]
Saw a 44 and a 357 today at local fun store.  Nice fit and finish, wood was ok on 44 and really nice on 357.  995.00 for the 44 and 1025.00 for 357.  These had a rm prefix and the bullseye on buttstock had the red center.  The shop also had some jm marlin and remlin in 30-30 and 45-70, could definitely tell difference in quality, but jm did have a crooked front sight.  They must have bought some estate guns, there was 4 octagon barreled 45-70 jm marlin 1894(I think) express models.  3 longer barrels and an 18"(I think).  There was a very cool, pristine half rd half octagon express 3 45-70.  I hate to say this but the Henry 30-30 had a smoother action and less machine marks than the 3 jm marlins.  The jm marlins did have lighter, slightly crisper triggers.  They were used, Henry's were new.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DH243:
 I hate to say this but the Henry 30-30 had a smoother action and less machine marks than the 3 jm marlins.  The jm marlins did have lighter, slightly crisper triggers.
View Quote

JM guns are all over the place in terms of quality.  There was a short period of time right after Remington bought Marlin that the guns were absolutely terrible, at that time an average JM gun was better quality then an average new Remington made gun.  
Remington fixed the QC issues in the first year or so and then the average Remington made gun was better than the average JM gun.

The triggers wear in over time and get better, so an older Marlin often has a better trigger than a newer gun.  

Henry are awesome guns and consistently very high quality, they just don’t have as much of a following as Marlin since they’re such a new company.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#46]
The new rifles are definitely nice, but I not selling any of my JM marked ones. Most of what I have are made in the 70s
  I’m sure at some point they will make a 45lc which is really what I want.   I already have multiple.44s and a .357

As long as Ruger keeps fitting nice walnut and building them right I think the prices will stay about the same.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

JM guns are all over the place in terms of quality.  There was a short period of time right after Remington bought Marlin that the guns were absolutely terrible, at that time an average JM gun was better quality then an average new Remington made gun.  
Remington fixed the QC issues in the first year or so and then the average Remington made gun was better than the average JM gun.

The triggers wear in over time and get better, so an older Marlin often has a better trigger than a newer gun.  

Henry are awesome guns and consistently very high quality, they just don’t have as much of a following as Marlin since they’re such a new company.
View Quote

I should clarify, the 45-70 jm were very nice.  The run of the mill jm 30-30 were the rifles that were less nicely machined than the henry.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Went into a local shop and left with a .357 Ruger made Marlin 1894. I was looking for a Miroku Winchester 1892 but they only had Rossi and Henry, and one last .357 1894, and these new Ruger Marlins were a very close second to a Miroku 92 for me.

There’s enough meat on the end of the barrel to have it threaded and I’m really tempted so I can stick my can on it but it’s gonna look dumb.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone know why Ruger is making the .44 in 20" and the .357 in 18.5"? I think Remington and Marlin did the same thing on their standard models.

Originally Posted By CapnJazz:
Went into a local shop and left with a .357 Ruger made Marlin 1894. I was looking for a Miroku Winchester 1892 but they only had Rossi and Henry, and one last .357 1894, and these new Ruger Marlins were a very close second to a Miroku 92 for me.

There’s enough meat on the end of the barrel to have it threaded and I’m really tempted so I can stick my can on it but it’s gonna look dumb.
View Quote

Hey, Teddy Roosevelt had threaded leverguns!
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Sigh, I'll probably buy it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top