Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
The IWI carmel (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/9/2023 5:32:24 AM EDT
I guess the old thread fell off. Has there been any news?

Iirc the release date was supposed to be Q2, but maybe they've gone back and fixed that terrible handguard?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I saw Q3 at some point so it should be soon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Still waiting. Also hoping for an Arad
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]
2 on gunbroker right now listed at mrp.
The listings show different models/furniture.

I haven’t followed the development of this but are there two furniture options?

Likely short barrels in the future?
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:22:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SperlingPE:
2 on gunbroker right now listed at mrp.
The listings show different models/furniture.

I haven’t followed the development of this but are there two furniture options?

Likely short barrels in the future?
View Quote

No way they are going to be selling the original unmolested version alongside the Americanized version. I'd really be shocked if that was the case.

Probably just using the wrong picture on that one listing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#5]
If you read the description on the auction showing the Israeli model, it states model #CSR16...which is the Americanized M-Lok/no sights version. They're description also says "1:8" twist, when all the specs I've seen say the rifle is 1:7".

I think it's a case of the seller grabbing the first stock internet photo when they Google'd "IWI Carmel" and using it as they're as pic...or maybe they did it on purpose to try and reel someone in that thinks they're getting the Israeli model and counting on the buyer not wanting to deal with the hassle of sending it back. I also noticed they say their lead time for shipping after receiving payment is 7 - 10 days. All red flags to me to stay away from that seller.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
They say they are on their instagram feed. I'd be interested if they kept the original forend, but the front half of the gun is now just another mlok AR looking rifle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv2V9TrLexs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
And they are sold off of GB
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 6:41:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#9]
I’m curious how much the weight is and what the balance is like. Seems redundant to the Bren 2 carbine in the collection but cool none the less.

Looking at some shot show videos of it, it looks like people are flipping this thing around pretty easily so maybe it’s so polymer intensive that the weight and handling will be significantly better than the overbuilt Galil aces?

Maybe it’s more like the love child of a Bren 2 and ARX100.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely not buying until the original version or conversion is available.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Definitely not buying until the original version or factory conversion is available.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m not buying until I can locate one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Want!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1003725838
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Definitely not buying until the original version or factory conversion is available.
View Quote

You do know that IWI has a whole manufacturing facility here in the US where they will be making parts for it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
You do know that IWI has a whole manufacturing facility here in the US where they will be making parts for it?
View Quote

Yes... they’re the ones that changed it from exactly what I want to what I don’t want.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Park-Hit-Run:
Definitely not buying until the original version or conversion is available.
View Quote
This times 10.

The US model makes me puke. Loved the original design.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Yes... they’re the ones that changed it from exactly what I want to what I don’t want.
View Quote

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I checked one out in the flash and the handling on. It feels pretty good. Close to a Bren 2 in terms of overall weight and balance. I’m headed home with it to get a weight on it and will post a table top comparison video on banggangguns on YouTube.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve been fortunate enough to talk to the VP of sales in person and a few of the IWI employees. They’re all great dudes and excited for the Carmel. Honestly I don’t like the name but they don’t pay me to name their stuff so that’s out.  

Talking to them they say this rifle really shines suppressed and is superbly accurate.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#21]
I uploaded a quick tabletop review.

The IWI Carmel is Here! Tabletop Review, Weight, unboxing, comparisons vs Bren 2, X16, JAKL, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I am interested
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#23]
Originally Posted By Citizen904:
I uploaded a quick tabletop review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZsPPxoTFE
View Quote
Excellent video.  

I do have an ACR (SBR) and Beretta (ARX) SBR in addition to the fact that I liked the earlier look of the Carmel better (mainly handguard) but it is a nice rifle.

I forget if it has quick barrel changing options?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#24]
That thing is a pig
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
That thing is a pig
View Quote

Jiminy Christmas 8.5 lbs slick. WTF.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Yup, not buying it unless it at least has the OG handguard. It’s not Israeli made, it’s overweight, the 2x4 hand guard looks generic as shit, doesn’t have QD bbl, they removed the adverse gas setting, etc there is literally no reason to buy one for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
Excellent video.  

I do have an ACR (SBR) and Beretta (ACR) in addition to the fact that I liked the earlier look of the Carmel better (mainly handguard) but it is a nice rifle.

I forget if it has quick barrel changing options?
View Quote

They ditched the QD barrel. Rumor is there are accessible retention fasteners after removing the HG. But it's not field strip capable. A single accessible fastener would've been fine, but IWI abandoned it altogether, my guess is for improved accuracy. AUG & ARX are the only 2 rifles out there with tool-less QD barrels.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

They ditched the QD barrel. Rumor is there are accessible retention fasteners after removing the HG. But it's not field strip capable. A single accessible fastener would've been fine, but IWI abandoned it altogether, my guess is for improved accuracy. AUG & ARX are the only 2 rifles out there with tool-less QD barrels.
View Quote
Appreciate you.
Only reason I asked is, I prefer shorter barrels - I would probably SBR a Carmel
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By METT-T:

Jiminy Christmas 8.5 lbs slick. WTF.
View Quote

Kinda chubby.  My gen 1 Ace, in 7.62x39, is 8lb 2oz with sights.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I was pretty interested in it and got to shoot it some at the IWI booth. Not sure what "specs" that one had , but it was a nice shooter. Did not feel overly heavy with a small red dot on it. Depends on price once they settle down some if I will buy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#31]
922r is a thing, and it’s not going away anytime soon.  IWI could avoid it by making the entire gun here, but that’s likely not going to happen either.  So we have to get a gun that’s imported in a neutered condition, with some features deleted, and then foreign parts get replaced by US made parts.  A US made mag is easy, and AR grips and US made handguards are common, and cheap replacement parts.  That said, they could have spent some time and effort in making a US handguard that looked more like the original instead of the monstrosity that they put on it.  It’s very unlikely the IWI will import factory replacement parts that replace their U.S. parts, even assuming that they fit the US spec receiver, which they may not.  Similarly, it’s unlikely that they’ll spend the resources to make new US parts that more closely resemble the military guns.  It’s likely that we’ve gotten what we’re going to get from IWI.  We’ll probably have to depend on aftermarket producers like Manticore Arms and HBI.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
922r is a thing, and it’s not going away anytime soon.  IWI could avoid it by making the entire gun here, but that’s likely not going to happen either.  So we have to get a gun that’s imported in a neutered condition, with some features deleted, and then foreign parts get replaced by US made parts.  A US made mag is easy, and AR grips and US made handguards are common, and cheap replacement parts.  That said, they could have spent some time and effort in making a US handguard that looked more like the original instead of the monstrosity that they put on it.  It’s very unlikely the IWI will import factory replacement parts that replace their U.S. parts, even assuming that they fit the US spec receiver, which they may not.  Similarly, it’s unlikely that they’ll spend the resources to make new US parts that more closely resemble the military guns.  It’s likely that we’ve gotten what we’re going to get from IWI.  We’ll probably have to depend on aftermarket producers like Manticore Arms and HBI.
View Quote
. It was my understanding this is entirely US made.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:
View Quote

I hadn’t heard that, but if it’s true then some of the changes they made are completely mystifying.  There’s nothing with the gun or in the manual saying you have to use a U.S. magazine or anything.  On the other hand, the receiver markings both say IWI-Israel and IWI US-Middletown PA.  I wouldn’t think they would say IWI-Israel if was completely US made.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#34]

I hadn’t heard that, but if it’s true then some of the changes they made are completely mystifying.  There’s nothing with the gun or in the manual saying you have to use a U.S. magazine or anything.  On the other hand, the receiver markings both say IWI-Israel and IWI US-Middletown PA.  I wouldn’t think they would say IWI-Israel if was completely US made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

I had also heard it was entirely US made in an effort to avoid ATF shenanigans like they’ve had with the Tavor where parts were suddenly and randomly disallowed for import like the 9mm and .300BLK parts.  I suspect the Israeli markings are likely because of international patents and such.

IWI is pretty careful with their planning now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Direct from a significant employee at IWI.

“Barrel
Receiver
Bolt carrier
Bolt
Some barrel components” are US made.

Everything else is kosher.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Direct from a significant employee at IWI.

“Barrel
Receiver
Bolt carrier
Bolt
Some barrel components” are US made.

Everything else is kosher.
View Quote

Are you saying that list is of the US parts, or foreign parts?  The mag and grip are definitely US parts.  I’d be surprised if the handguard wasn’t US made also.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Are you saying that list is of the US parts, or foreign parts?  The mag and grip are definitely US parts.  I’d be surprised if the handguard wasn’t US made also.
View Quote

It’s not the exact list of everything but the barrel and other components listed are made in the USA. The handgaurd I think is US made as well.

But everything else is made in Israel. Form my understanding. I didn’t ask him for an exact list of what’s what but that’s the gist of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#38]
So basically the stock is they only thing isreali made.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:11:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoDakWolfPack] [#39]
Whoa! This thing was very quietly released.  Ive been following it for two years, and I had no idea it’s been out for two weeks.

The regular YouTube shills and online rags must’ve not been given free samples
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:
Whoa! This thing was very quietly released.  Ive been following it for two years, and I had no idea it’s been out for two weeks.

The regular YouTube shills and online rags must’ve not been given free samples
View Quote

I suspect because more people would have made noise about the handguard.

I'm still holding out hope they'll release a version with the correct handguard.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Jm11513:

I'm still holding out hope they'll release a version with the correct handguard.
View Quote

You know, an aluminum copy of the correct handguard would probably be lighter than both of the current variations.  Hopefully we can get that, at the very least.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#42]

You know, an aluminum copy of the correct handguard would probably be lighter than both of the current variations.  Hopefully we can get that, at the very least.
View All Quotes

I wonder about that. Is aluminum really lighter than polymer given the same dimensions? I know with the ARX when you remove the barrel and BCG that the polymer upper (with stock) and lower are like a feather. I believe if the ARX had it's upper machined out of aluminum that it would end up being heavier. I think the reason that the ARX is the lightest of the 3rd Gen rifles is because it's mostly polymer.

A PMAG is heavier than an aluminum mag, but the dimensions are very different.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#43]
The Carmel is on my wishlist.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#44]
IWI US Expert's Corner: Carmel Rifle Disassembly and Reassembly
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#45]
IWI Carmel - The Whole Story
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#47]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

Aluminum is 2-3 times  denser than the polymers typically used in firearms.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

I wonder about that. Is aluminum really lighter than polymer given the same dimensions? I know with the ARX when you remove the barrel and BCG that the polymer upper (with stock) and lower are like a feather. I believe if the ARX had it's upper machined out of aluminum that it would end up being heavier. I think the reason that the ARX is the lightest of the 3rd Gen rifles is because it's mostly polymer.

A PMAG is heavier than an aluminum mag, but the dimensions are very different.

Sven
Manticore Arms

So given similar dimensions aluminum would be heavier. At least that's what I'm hearing you say?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Are you by chance going to make some that at least looks similar to the OG hand guard?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I like it.

The IWI Carmel Rifle is Coming to the USA
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I was just noticing how on IWI's advertisement of the Carmel (that stamp shaped thing that appears on some gun sites), the barrel is DEFINITELY shorter - to offset the frankly weird balance of longer, 16.1" barrels (plus muzzle devices) that also were affecting many other rifles (ARX, ACR etc.)

Have a look - seems like probably a pinned and welded barrel

I don't blame them, it's a US federal thing but still

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
The IWI carmel (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top