Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2024 3:41:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar]
Price looks to be around the MSRP of $1400 at the few places that have it, but they're all Ruger direct dealers.  Distributors should be getting them soon, hopefully with lower prices.  No word on the blued/walnut version.

All I know is that I'm getting one.  I regret selling the one I had years ago, and damn the torpedoes, I'm getting one and keeping it.  Probably filing a form 1 to make it a 10.5" SBR like GoLoud's.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I like that it’s threaded from the factory.

Buddy has a 44/77 and it’s nice but not very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d be interested at half that price, maybe. $1400 I’m not interested
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't these have obscene accuracy and feeding issues?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got one of the factory threaded ones. Runs great and even more fun suppressed. I’m glad more are coming out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AJE:
I don't understand what makes them so much more expensive than the American rifles.
View Quote

Completely different action.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
View Quote

New production should have very nice hammer forged barrels.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like they started to hit.

UPC 736676074198

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/736676074198

Looks like the dealer price is in the $800's.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn it, another rifle that I want but don’t need.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

The one I had did.  I didn't have it long.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#11]
I don't understand what makes them so much more expensive than the American rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Economy of scale. Compared to the Americans and parts comparability, these might as well be custom guns. Outside part of the fcg that works with the 77/22 and other oddball 77 rifles, they are essentially unique in Ruger parts.

The original ones were very picky on ammo, but .357 isn’t the most accurate round out there. With some tweaks and/or hand loads guys here were getting good accuracy though. I think one person was loading something like 342gr HCGC subs for big hunting.

Feeding (if I remember right) boiled down to making sure there weren’t burrs on the mag or rifle itself, there was a sharp lip in some mags that would catch. I polished mine out and didn’t have any issues in the 1000rds or so I put through it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By arndog123:
Damn it, another rifle that I want but don't need.
View Quote
same here
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#13]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
same here
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Originally Posted By arndog123:
Damn it, another rifle that I want but don't need.
same here

Fyi, the Volquartsen 77/22 sear is almost a drop in part.  Sometimes you need to take of 0.001" from the top of the safety pawl, but it makes the trigger freaking fantastic.  You can still find the target sear on fleabay.  I've had one sitting in my parts bin for years waiting on these rifles to come back in stock.

The bolt shims also help with tighter lockup and accuracy, pretty easy install as well.  The only other modification I did to mine was to put a Volquartsen 10/22 mag release in, as they come factory with the oooold 10/22 flush mag release.  Plenty of iron or sight mount options for them too.

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_m77.php
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:14:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#14]
Here's one of the old archived threads.  I'd swear there was a 40+ page one, but can't find it.  And Pete's article on these.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Ruger-77-357/20-434362/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/21/ruger-77357/
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Here's one of the old archived threads.  I'd swear there was a 40+ page one, but can't find it.  And Pete's article on these.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Ruger-77-357/20-434362/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/21/ruger-77357/
View Quote

I read that thread and article so many times. I first got a 77/357 back in 2017 or so. I had it threaded and set up nicely. Then I sold it and wished I hadn’t. So more recently I found the newer threaded version and have been enjoying it. I plan to upgrade it like the last one, but i have been enjoying it as it is for now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Call me when they make one with blued steel and a walnut stock.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
View Quote

That was a limited run that isn’t even listed on their site anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#18]
Just snagged a new one on gunbroker for $1050 after shipping and transfer.  Way better than Midway wanting $1400+ shipping.  I'll give it a once over when it arrives and report back on how it looks internally.  (My new SP101 Wiley Clapp had a lot of burrs.  An hour worth of work cleaned it up, but still annoying.)
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Just snagged a new one on gunbroker for $1050 after shipping and transfer.  Way better than Midway wanting $1400+ shipping.  I'll give it a once over when it arrives and report back on how it looks internally.  (My new SP101 Wiley Clapp had a lot of burrs.  An hour worth of work cleaned it up, but still annoying.)
View Quote

Nice! Keep us posted with the mods you do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Neon_Horse:

Nice! Keep us posted with the mods you do.
View Quote

The only things planned are shimming the bolt for a bit better accuracy and installing a Volquartsen sear, other than making sure it’s free of burrs and crud. It’ll be a while before I SBR it. Might just order a whole new barrel so I can keep the factory barrel as a backup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got home from picking it up. I’ll take some photos of the internals when I get it apart here in a bit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:34:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#22]
Alrighty then.  If there are requests on a certain part, I can get the camera gear out this weekend.  These are just crappy iphone photos before doing any clean up work.
The neat: Magazines are now 5 rounds, not 4, with a better feed angle.  No issues feeding JHP style snap caps.

The good:  No burrs or machining issues notable.  At worst, there were some casting marks but that's cosmetic.  Feed ramp was very nice out of the box.  I'm not a fan of it, but all parts that aren't polished came in a uniform and very smooth stone washed/polished finish.  Trigger pull was around 4-4.5# out of the box and pretty crisp. Down to 2.5# with the sear and sear spring swap.

The bad:  Nothing major noted, a few small marks on the barrel crown, but nothing I'm concerned about.  From the factory the barrel wasn't free floated.  Front screw was 40 inch pounds ish with the rear being finger tight, which was likely the cause.  Corrected on reassembly to 30 inch pounds on both.  Barrel appears to be floated, but I'll clean out the barrel channel a touch over the weekend.

Parts wise, the fluff and buff was pretty simple with all surfaces already pretty well polished.  I am an idiot and forgot that it is the 77/22 magazine releases that work on these, not the 10/22, so a new one is on the way.  Volquartsen sear went in quick and easy with the safety only needing a single swipe with a diamond file and polish to work perfectly with the different part.  I ended up using the .003" shim to tighten the bolt lockup, but it was pretty solid out of the box.

Weigand scope rail incoming as well.  Sear photo is Volquartsen (left) and Ruger (right)

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:37:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#23]
The lugs are far enough back you could run black powder.  Interesting.  Never expected to see a new rear-lugged bolt action in my lifetime.

ETA:  OP, could we get some more pics of the magazine & the bolt, particularly the lugs and bolt extension, and the receiver recesses in the rear for the bolt lugs if you can get a picture of em?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
The lugs are far enough back you could run black powder.  Interesting.  Never expected to see a new rear-lugged bolt action in my lifetime.

ETA:  OP, could we get some more pics of the magazine & the bolt, particularly the lugs and bolt extension, and the receiver recesses in the rear for the bolt lugs if you can get a picture of em?
View Quote

Sure, it might be the weekend (new job is kicking my butt) but is doable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  The lugs are far enough back you could run black powder.  Interesting.  Never expected to see a new rear-lugged bolt action in my lifetime.

Congrats on the new job in this economy, don't put yourself out, just curious.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#26]
It blows my mind how many people are willing to pay $1,000+ for this. It's a good thing I don't work for Ruger doing sales projections, because I would have thought this would be a flop at this price point. It's a cool rifle in theory, but they've never been known to shoot well, this is about the cheapest budget stock, finish configuration they could have put on it, etc. For this price point, it should have nice walnut at minimum imo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
It blows my mind how many people are willing to pay $1,000+ for this. It's a good thing I don't work for Ruger doing sales projections, because I would have thought this would be a flop at this price point. It's a cool rifle in theory, but they've never been known to shoot well, this is about the cheapest budget stock, finish configuration they could have put on it, etc. For this price point, it should have nice walnut at minimum imo.
View Quote

Scale of economy and inflation. They only do runs of these every 5 years or so and all the tooling is pretty well custom to the 77/357 and sister models. Hell, regular production GP100 models are $800-1000 these days. Midway sold out instantly at $1400 but street price is going to be closer to $1100 likely.

Accuracy wise, they can be pretty darn good assuming you either see what ammo they like or hand load for it. In my case, the factory barrel is getting pulled and it’ll end up as a 10.5” suppressed SBR.

Personally it’s one of the guns I regret selling, so I’m very ‘damn the torpedoes’ in regards to getting another. They really are stupid fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:55:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#28]
Edit: apparently the Power Custom ones were known to need a fair bit of hand fitting to work.  I had missed that one tidbit.

The Power Custom 77/22 magazine release apparently needs some extensive modifications to work.  Considering mine is pretty well trashed from hand fitting for clearances, I'm going to see what I can do to convert it to a functional unit.  It needed a couple thousandths trimmed off the top ledge so it wouldn't hit the magazine pawl, and passed function check without the triggerguard assembly being installed.  After installation, there wasn't enough movement in the lever to remove the magazine without a massive pain in the ass.  I suspect that it is the oval shaped head on the Power Custom mag release that's taking up what would be free movement.  Other ones I can google are significantly flatter on one side or the other.  The Volquartsen (that I know works) is non-existant these days.  I'll measure it out this weekend and modify if I have time.

Volquartsen and IQMuntions compared to Power Custom

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote

So it does look like I'll probably want to remove the bolt shims as it's flexing under load when the bolt locks.  (shown in the lug photo)  

Bolt lockup is at the rear of the receiver like you thought.  Pretty solid lug to butt into as well.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:38:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#30]
Just straight avoid the power custom mag release. It’s too much of a pain in the ass to get working. I’m going to try to find a volquartsen but will likely order an IQ Munitions mag release.

Edit: No dice on the Volquartsen, so I ordered an IQMunitions.  $27.50 shipped isn't too horrible.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll be looking forward to seeing how it shoots.
You going to shoot full power or are you going to load up some subsonic?

It is a little saddening to see how the surface finish has suffered.
I have a 77/44 made in 1997. Blued with a walnut stock. The finish on the bolt is nicely polished as well as the fit and finish are very good.
Trigger is actually nice right out of the box. It does not appear like it has been touched.

I am currently working on some subsonic loads and have narrowed it down to 3 different powders and loads. I just gotta load up some more and test side by side.
Then I will be sending it out to be threaded.

I debated between the 77/44 and a henry lever. While the henry came threaded, it was only with a plastic stock. It would have added a lot more to it to buy the wood and ad it to it. The 77/44 actually came out cheaper.
Yea capacity is 4+1 as opposed to the 7 rounds of the henry. But I do not care.
Call me old fashioned, but I just love blued steel and walnut. To me, stainless and plastic is butt ugly. Stainless and walnut just does not look right either.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:09:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#32]
I'll be shooting supers for now, but will be working up a load for subs once I get a suppressor that'll work with it.  I've got to admit I'm a little disappointed in the tumbled finish, but it'll end up cerakoted if I cut the barrel anyhow.  I just need to get a decent optic for it so I can get to the range.

Btw, Ruger still swaps out rings for different ones.  Heard back from their CS yesterday, so I might swap the 1" for 30mm rings in case I go with an Accupoint 1-4 TR24G.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Can a fella rechamber this to 256 winchester magnum?  Rim is a 357 mag.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By country_boy87:  Can a fella rechamber this to 256 winchester magnum?  Rim is a 357 mag.
View Quote

Sure.  But why?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#35]
Installed the IQMunitions mag release a few minutes ago. Maybe 2 minutes to install and works great. Makes mag swaps super easy, although pushing it still helps with mag insertion as well. Might not be as pretty as a Volquartsen, but you can still get these.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#36]
Possibly Ruger is "hedging" it's bets and keeping a bolt-action, mag fed, pistol caliber firearm available in the event Antis manage to ban Semi-Auto firearms.

This is a "complete" guess on my part, and no special knowledge.

Stay tuned for possible "extended" capacity mags.  If you see "extended" cap mags, suggest that might be "interesting".

Historically, Bolt action rifles worked better for "military" purposes than did lever-action, tube-fed rifles, as long as bolt action rifles could use a relatively quick charging clip, or a magazine of "decent" capacity.

I fully understand OP's issue with "improving" his firearm with aftermarket items, and fitting them.

Doing so myself, but with some Ruger SA revolvers.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By raf:  Possibly Ruger is "hedging" it's bets and keeping a bolt-action, mag fed, pistol caliber firearm available in the event Antis manage to ban Semi-Auto firearms.

This is a "complete" guess on my part, and no special knowledge.

Stay tuned for possible "extended" capacity mags.  If you see "extended" cap mags, suggest that might be "interesting".

Historically, Bolt action rifles worked better for "military" purposes than did lever-action, tube-fed rifles, as long as bolt action rifles could use a relatively quick charging clip, or a magazine of "decent" capacity.

I fully understand OP's issue with "improving" his firearm with aftermarket items, and fitting them.

Doing so myself, but with some Ruger SA revolvers.
View Quote

Probably the reason they bought Marlin is there's a large portion of the American market that just likes lever-actions.  A customer's .44 Ruglin is enroute to me now.

Ruger still has the molds and CAD programs, and older .357 bolt models are selling for good money on GunBroker - whenever the average GunBroker price rises above a money-making retail price, Ruger will likely crank out a few.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Would be better if they had a 20rd mag and made it in semi-auto.
For a pistol caliber bolt action with plastic stock at that price; no.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Lazyshooter:
Would be better if they had a 20rd mag and made it in semi-auto.
For a pistol caliber bolt action with plastic stock at that price; no.
View Quote

Ron Williams used to make AR uppers using Desert Eagle mags sleeved into 20rd mag bodies as an adapter. One is on my list too if he still makes them.  

These are popular in straight wall states for hunting or with idiots like me that want to shoot heavy subs with a can.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#40]
There is no such thing as a "Ruger direct dealer".  Ruger sells guns to 16 customers, and they are all wholesale distributors.  That gun has been shipping for several months.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
There is no such thing as a "Ruger direct dealer".  Ruger sells guns to 16 customers, and they are all wholesale distributors.  That gun has been shipping for several months.
View Quote

That’s odd since I used to deal directly with Ruger and their rep for years, on top of distributors. Either way, that’s not the point of this thread.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Installed the IQMunitions mag release a few minutes ago. Maybe 2 minutes to install and works great. Makes mag swaps super easy, although pushing it still helps with mag insertion as well. Might not be as pretty as a Volquartsen, but you can still get these.

https://i.imgur.com/AoOLPkH_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand
View Quote

I just ordered one of those mag releases for my 77/44, and went ahead and got one of their 10 round mags to try out.
They says they can have feeding problems with bullets shorter than 1.60.  My bullet/load is 1.55 (because of the cannelure).
Before I ordered, I emailed them as asked what the feeding problems were.
They said that under some circumstances that the rim of one of the rounds can jump in front of the one on top of it, causing rim lock.
I decided to go ahead and take a chance and give it a try.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#43]
If they had the .357 mags in stock I'd have snagged some.  Let us know how the .44 ones work out for you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Got the mag in. Man it is HEAVY. Very solid feeling. I think you could use it as a club to beat someone with.
I tested it and it fits my 99/44 deerfield (mini 14 style 44 mag carbine).
However it will not fit my 77/44. It wants to hit the stock inside the mag well.
Granted, they specifically mentioned that in the product description and the included paperwork as being a possibility because of variations in manufacturing.

I have not tried loading it or shooting it yet. I bought it mainly for my 77/44, as I do not shoot my 99/44 much because parts are not available.

However I am torn. I have always been part of the "mod the cheapest part" crowd. Part of me does not want to start sanding on the stock of $1000-$1200 rifle and would rather sand on a $165 magazine.
However sanding on wood is easier and quicker than sanding down machined aluminum. Plus the mag is anodized. So it would look like crap afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#46]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

They did before, but it was a custom run for Davidson’s. You never know, but it wouldn’t count on another. Last one was ~10 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#47]

They did before, but it was a custom run for Davidson’s. You never know, but it wouldn’t count on another. Last one was ~10 years ago.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2016/07/14/5678051_01_ruger_77_357_walnut_blued_640.jpg
View Quote

Yep, but finding one is pretty much impossible. I have been looking off and on for months now and always come up empty handed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:08:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#48]
Small update. I finally got to the range with the rifle and it’s shooting reasonably accurate. Around 2.5-3moa at 100 but that’s plenty good considering it’s still in the Tupperware stock, etc. it’ll get a Boyds and bedded soon enough though. Let alone I was shooting blaser aluminum 158gr in 7mph cross winds.

The only malfunction was occasionally getting rim lock in the mags but that’s a super easy fix to poke the rounds to reseat them.

It was absolutely hilarious to shoot suppressed but it had a weird 12” ish POI shift UP when adding the can.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice!   I’ll be picking mine up tomorrow.  Will be mainly shooting 38’s suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#50]
I was cleaning the rifle yesterday and had it leaning against my work table.  Stupid me knocked it over and it fell on my plastic cleaning supply tackle box.  The impact knocked the brass bead off and bent the mounting hole on the sight.  Somehow managed to find the brass bead and crimped it back in place with a pair of pliers.  Looks like cr@p but I'll be running a red dot on it once my rail shows up. My OCD wants to replace the sight though and figure might as well go with a fiber optic  Anyone know if they make a front fiber optic replacement sight for?  I couldn't find one from searching.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top