Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 10:00:59 AM EDT
Anyone using this, or has used this?  I'd love to get into thermal, but I don't want a $6k RH25 sitting in a drawer unused for most of it's life.  If i could as least shoot it during the day at the range, it would seem more reasonable to purchase.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You can use them during the day but if you’re in a hot and dry area everything will kinda be the same color
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
You can use them during the day but if you’re in a hot and dry area everything will kinda be the same color
View Quote

I'm in GA too
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:19:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#3]
It works, but the contrast on an uncooled thermal won’t be a stark and things may bleed together.  Best bet is a wooded/leafy/temperate backdrop scenery or winter with snow.  Arid/hot/dry isn’t going be easy, but it can be done.  Very high %RH & DP are bad for thermal too.  This is true day or night.  Water is opaque to thermal (which is why foliage is excellent cover) and lots of water in the air is hard on image quality.  You can have low %RH and high DP or high DP and low %RH and the thermal works fine (each would actually be low air water content) but if both are high the image seems washed out.

I zero my thermals in the day all the time. I use the toe/boot  warmers that have the adhesive on one side and just slap it on a target.  They don’t last long with good air exposure in warmer temps - they burn themselves out in like half an hour. In the winter out in the open they shine for like 2 hours. They only last so long in boots and gloves because there’s bad ventilation there.

Now, cryocooled thermal surveillance grade thermal doesn’t care too much. It’ll see contrast in the desert and cut through the mirage while doing it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Primetime_1:

I'm in GA too
View Quote

I messed with a few thermals in the desert and Texas. Daytime was interesting, but at night it’s amazing. I’ve heard here in GA summers with the humidity stuff gets washed out but haven’t seen it myself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Works great in the woods when it's cold and rainy. Almost as useful as at night.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You will need the rubber thingy on the eyepiece to limit light.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Bedded down

Up and moving

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
You will need the rubber thingy on the eyepiece to limit light.
View Quote

In direct sunlight yes. In the gloom I run the mount out as far from my eye as I can and you keep your binocular vision and look through the thermal when you want kinda like a hud. Seems one of those new sting ir would be awesome for this since it wouldn't block as much of your vision as larger thermals.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an RH25 that i clip on in front of my builds to shoot during the day all the time.  As other have said its not as nice during the day as it is at night, but its pretty good to train with.

The RH25 is amazing.  Scanner, head mounted, clipon.  The resolution is fantastic
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top