Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2024 10:15:46 PM EDT
New owner of a Tikka TX1, 16" threaded bbl/ Just wonderful, light trigger.

My FFL buddy convinced me (against my instincts, I should've known better) to buy a Shepard scope. Went to the range yesterday & it was a complete disaster. Maxed out the elevation but was still 5-6" from the X-ring. If I aimed at a light colored target, the middle of crosshairs simply disappeared to my eyes. This is with the illumination on, both red & green. In short, it's going back for a refund.

I've always been a Nikon scope guy, but sadly, they no longer make scopes.

I like Bushnell, Burris & can tolerate Simmons. Shopped all of those hard & long. I want something like a 4x12x40 in order to not overwhelm the size of the rifle. IOW, no 50, 56mm or whatever objective.

I think 75%+ of the scopes I looked at had either mil-dot or bullet drop reticules. Neither of which I want. I just want a simple, plain 1960 style crosshair reticule. Surprisingly, there's not many made in the configuration I want.

Found several of the Nikon Prostaff & a couple of Monarch models on GB. Found a lot more on ebay, so I'm watching those. Also found a couple of Bushnell & Burris scopes that might work as well.

My question is, when did 75%+ of current scope models go "tactical" with the mil-dot & bullet drop stuff? All it does (to me) is clog up the sight picture. Are shooters now too stupid to think, "I'm shooting an extra 50-100 yards, maybe I need to hold over a couple of extra inches?" Rhetorical question, I don't expect someone to know that answer.

The good news is, there seems to be a nice bunch of scopes in the less-than-$325 range, IMO. With a .22LR, I won't be shooting beyond a 100 yards. 98% of the time it will only be 50 yards, IMO.

But boy, I sure do miss the Nikon line of scopes........................    
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I also think Nikon glass was always great bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at Leuopold.  They have some very good non-tactical glass at reasonable prices.  I find their optics brighter and provide a wider field of view than several competitor brands.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
One good thing about bass pro/big box stores.  They are big, and usually have a target like thing on a far wall for comparing glass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:49:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#4]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1094688154901?pid=617477

I like this one for just under $200. It’s 4-16x40 with a 1 in tube and mildot reticle so you can use the mil-dots at 16x for hold over like a BDC reticle by running a ballistic chart with drop in mil.

If you want to spend more buy a Vortex.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/tikka-t1-scope-mounts-t1x-lightweight-alloy-scope-mounts/

Rings

There is a learning curve and once you understand what is going on you may reconsider the duplex choice:

BDC on a Second Focal Plane scope is only true at the highest power. First Focal Plane Scopes the reticle appears to get larger as magnification increases. FFP Mil-Dot marks are one Mil at every magnification. One can determine what the BDC or Mil Dots represent on a Second Focal Plane scope by zeroing at say 100 yds (the center X always represents the same thing at any power) . NOTE on a 2FP field of view is wide at low power and narrow at high power so at every different power the reticle marks represent something different.  Once your 100 yd zero is set take a large paper or cardboard target and shoot. A three shot group at 100 then aiming at the center move back to 200, 300, 400 etc shooting three shot groups knowing they will hit below center. Go spray paint where the groups hit marking the target. Now return. To those distances and make notes on how the marks in your reticle correspond to the groups on the paper. Make notes for the lowest power say 4x then dial to 6x and make notes …    Keep in mind that you brighten the image in low light by dialing down the magnification to about 6x or lower.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Im with you OP.  Ol school pro staffs  or buckmasters with simple duplex reticles are on my rifles. Bdc stuff is not for me
I could not wrap my head around nikon gettin out of the game.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:13:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#6]
Ah there you are! Leupold's target audience! I was wondering who they keep making duplex reticle scopes for despite advancing on all other aspects of their product lines.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran into the same trouble a couple years ago. For 22LR target shooting I like duplex reticle and parallax adjustment. I have a Nikon with just that. Everything new seems to have moa or mil reticles. I rather have target knobs than busy reticle.

For centerfire hunting rifles I like B&C reticles. Those are almost non-existent now. Leupold dumped most of them to go with MOA hash marks and elevation target knob.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Leupold is all I use.   They've got every range, every use, high quality, made in USA.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#9]
MOA is easier for some to wrap their head around than MIL.
For practical purposes 1 MOA is 1 inch at 100 yds and each 1/4 MOA adjustment click should move point of impact 1/4 inch. But at 200 yds One MOA is  2 inches so each 1/4 MOA click moves point of impact one fourth of the two inches so 1/2 in per click. At 300 yds one MOA is 3 inches so 1/4 MOA click moves 3/4 inch.  At 600 yds one MOA is 6 inches so 1/4 MOA click moves impact 1.5 inches…

MIL  one MIL is 3.6 inches at 100 yds so each 1/10. MIL click moves point of impact .36 inch about 1/3 of an inch at 100 yds.

One MIL is 1 yard at 1000 yards
One MIL is 1 meter at 1000 meters
One MIL is 36 inches at 1000 yards
One MIL is 18 inches at 500 yds
One MIL is 14.4 in at 400 yds
One MIL is 10.8 in at 300 yds
One MIL is 7.2 in at 200 yds

(Known ) Height of Target in inches X 27.78 divided by (measured in reticle) MIL = distance in yards

Now to make it all simple. Kenton Ind will custom engrave knobs for most scopes given info on what bullet you use.
https://kentonindustries.com/

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Leupold is all I use.   They've got every range, every use, high quality, made in USA.
View Quote

The best advice you will get in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mindless:
Look at Leuopold.  They have some very good non-tactical glass at reasonable prices.  I find their optics brighter and provide a wider field of view than several competitor brands.
View Quote

Love them, but my budget is to stay below $300, hopefully in the $250 range.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1094688154901?pid=617477

I like this one for just under $200. It’s 4-16x40 with a 1 in tube and mildot reticle so you can use the mil-dots at 16x for hold over like a BDC reticle by running a ballistic chart with drop in mil.

If you want to spend more buy a Vortex.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/tikka-t1-scope-mounts-t1x-lightweight-alloy-scope-mounts/
View Quote

All I want is simple crosshairs. I don't like mil-dots, never have.

Talley already has gotten enough of my $$$$, thankyouverymuch......................  
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Ah there you are! Leupold's target audience! I was wondering who they keep making duplex reticle scopes for despite advancing on all other aspects of their product lines.
View Quote

*I* wouldn't call it "advancing" at all. We old farts know how to do a "hold over" w/o filling up the sight picture.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Trijicon is my go to since Nikon went away. The Huron line is tough to beat for the money. Euro optic has some great deals on some close outs right now
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I got the Vortex Crossfire II in 4-12x44 for my bolt action .22 and have been more than pleased. It has held its zero and been reliable for me. Glass is pretty decent, I’ve got no complaints. Got it at my local Academy Sports for like $170. Something to look into anyway.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-4-12x44-riflescope+reticle-Dead-Hold®~BDC~MOA
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:06:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s] [#16]
Originally Posted By chainshaw:
Trijicon is my go to since Nikon went away. The Huron line is tough to beat for the money. Euro optic has some great deals on some close outs right now
View Quote

Came to post this.

Trijicon Huron 3x9

Better for a little more

Trijicon Huron 2.5x10x40
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Is Mueller still in business? They used to make some really good scopes for .22's and other light recoiling rifles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Here you go:

https://www.muelleroptics.com/product-category/rimfire-scope/
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Athlon, the best bang for the buck in glass, IME
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a fan of mil/ Christmas tree reticle so no help there. Once you get used to them, very handy for longer range shooting and holding wind or running in timed events where adjustment for elevation at various ranges may take too much time ( I shoot prs type matches with 22’s to 300+ yards and couldn’t be effective without the christmas tree.)

For plain cross hair stuff meuller is well regarded in the budget category, and athlon or vortex might have something that fits your needs/ budget

Bear in mind all scopes in this price range will be made in china!

Another option is to look for used leupolds
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By USPguy:
Are shooters now too stupid to think, "I'm shooting an extra 50-100 yards, maybe I need to hold over a couple of extra inches?"
View Quote

Maybe they just prefer to use a tape measure (mil / moa reticle) instead of eyeballing it. It's a lot easier to be repeatable if you have marks to go off of.

For precision I like an open center style reticle or one with a very tiny dot.

Something like this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Doesn't Trijicon have basic cross hair reticle around the 350 price point? I think Primary Arms has some basic cross hair reticle under 200.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
A little more than you budgeted for, but maybe this is will fit your needs.

I just bought one, but I haven't had it out yet to give you any details.  However, the glass is clear edge to edge.

Europtics gave me free shipping and paid the sales tax about a month ago.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#24]
the vortex diamondback HP (NOT the regular or tactical) is a great scope and is around $250. adjustable parallax and very good glass for its price. it is available with a simple duplex reticle too.

i don’t think vortex makes them anymore but you can find them online and sportsmans warehouse has them in store too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Companies make fewer duplex scopes because they don't sell.

Leupold has a bunch of duplex scopes that no one buys. If I was getting a duplex I would probably get a leupold.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Leupold VX-Freedom is a bit over your budget but absolutely worth it, especially in low light situations
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
A little more than you budgeted for, but maybe this is will fit your needs.

I just bought one, but I haven't had it out yet to give you any details.  However, the glass is clear edge to edge.

Europtics gave me free shipping and paid the sales tax about a month ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/Screenshot_20240204-193309_2_png-3118724.JPG

View Quote

This is by far my favorite scope for a 10/22. Only problem is I put it on my kids rifle. It is about 25% smaller than the similar Nikon with nicer sharp crosshairs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Are shooters now too stupid to think, "I'm shooting an extra 50-100 yards, maybe I need to hold over a couple of extra inches?" Rhetorical question, I don't expect someone to know that answer.

View Quote

Its more for when you are shooting an extra 300+ yards, when i'm shooting at 700 yards with my FAL zeroed at 100, im holding much higher than a few inches above the target.

But I kinda agree, within about 250 yards or so Its pretty meaningless. But thats what FFP's are for imo, shrink the clutter when you dont need it, zoom it in when you do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Bushnell Engage scope on one on my 22 rifles. Been very happy with it for the price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jkees:

Its more for when you are shooting an extra 300+ yards, when i'm shooting at 700 yards with my FAL zeroed at 100, im holding much higher than a few inches above the target.

But I kinda agree, within about 250 yards or so Its pretty meaningless. But thats what FFP's are for imo, shrink the clutter when you dont need it, zoom it in when you do.
View Quote

Not with the rainbow like trajectory of 22 LR !

I shoot a lot of prs/nrl matches, and having a 50 yard zero then dialing for targets anywhere up to 300 yards, a lot of dialing or a significant use of the Christmas tree is critical. And the targets are generally pretty small. In some cases a 2” diameter target at 100, a 3-4” diameter target at 175-200. You simply can not “hold off” with a regular reticle and be effective in these circumstances.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I prefer Leupold especially for low light dawn and dusk.  I also liked Nikon but they dropped firearm optics. The Primary Arms and Vortex are decent but if you want as good a glass as Leupold has then you are back to Leupold.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mindless:

I hit 'reply' to say I've bought several of their scopes in that range for plinkers/rimfires, but then I remembered it's 2024 and I paid a buck-fiddy for an onion the other day...
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Buy a used Leupold it has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Should be able to find a VX Freedom for under 300... I paid 200 for my 1-4 pigplex.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#36]

View Quote
I am with ya.  All of these tacticool reticles have nothing to do with my shooting style.  Leupold makes one of their rimfire scopes with a very simple ballistic drop reticle that I don't mind at all.  I am on my tablet at the moment but I'll post a link to it shortly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#37]
As posted by others, it's the VX Freedom 3X9.

Here is the reticle:

Here's the scope (as also shown above...my OCD is kicking in)

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I have put two Vortex scopes on rifles for my kids in the last couple years. One is a larger/heavier target setup, the other is a lighter weight set-up (2-7 maybe). Both are very good scopes for the money.

-shooter
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
As posted by others, it's the VX Freedom 3X9.

Here is the reticle:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23042/VX_Reticle-3032158.jpg

Here's the scope (as also shown above...my OCD is kicking in)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Leupold_VX_Freedom-3032157.jpg
View Quote

Can confirm that this is a very good rimfire scope for your money.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I might wonder if the OP being unable to get on the target was a scope fault or if whatever rings he was using were somehow mis matched?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I might wonder if the OP being unable to get on the target was a scope fault or if whatever rings he was using were somehow mis matched?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:51:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#42]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

Can confirm that this is a very good rimfire scope for your money.
View Quote
Yup. My dad loves it and shoots very good groups.with it.  ( 50 yards, precision 10/22)

I would still prefer a more simple cross hair design and a wee bit thinner to boot....but it's all we can get with Nikon out of the game.

I do not like the turrets all that much.  The clicks are kind of fuzzy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#43]
You can get that Leupold with the hunt-plex reticle instead of the rimfire MOA

180592 for the 2x7x33
181307 for the 3x9x40
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
View Quote

Same here. It saddens me that they no longer offer a gloss finish version of anything. Matte looks ugly on a gloss blue rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

The best advice you will get in this thread.
View Quote

Except Leupolds budget stuff is not made in US.

In my limited experience Leupold was my favorite, bright clear glass, good value(on the low end).
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I went with a Vortex Diamondback rimfire and Warne back to zero rings. For the mounts I got warned maxima 10/22 mounts from Warne itself.

I wanted to be able to use both the irons and scope for plinking on a Ruger/Talo 10/22.

Sorry for all the links but I thought pictures would help especially with the scopes recital. The combination just barely fits over the rear sight folded down but I wanted it as low as I could go.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:35:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#47]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Companies make fewer duplex scopes because they don't sell.

Leupold has a bunch of duplex scopes that no one buys. If I was getting a duplex I would probably get a leupold.
View Quote

Respectfully disagree.  Hunters, I mean real hunters that spend a lot of time in the woods, realize that game is most active at dawn and dusk in low light.  Shots are at relatively short distances within the so-called point blank zero or hunter's zero in which the trajectory does not deviate more than 3" from point of aim,

Those scopes do not have or need complex reticles.  Less is more.  Duplex or German #4 (duplex with top stadia missing) remain the best choice.  Some may have a simple illuminated dot at the center of very visible crosshairs.  Tbese scopes have capped turrets because shots are not going to be taken beyond max point blank range.  Larger objectives and relatively low power variables like 2-7 up to 3-10 or so are preferred for good low light performance. Light weight is important.

This is not tactical or target shooting.  Its serious hunting.  And, Leupold knows its market and excels at it.

These same principles apply for general purpose rimfire rifles.  

For rimfire general purpose use its hard to beat a Leupold 2-7x or 3-9x with basic duplex reticle zeroed at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:

Except Leupolds budget stuff is not made in US.

In my limited experience Leupold was my favorite, bright clear glass, good value(on the low end).
View Quote

VX-Freedom scopes are made in the USA.  What low end are you referring to?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top