Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2023 12:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21]
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, and yes - I ran a search for this before posting...  Mods please lock or move if this is in the wrong place!

So I've gathered all the info I need about filing a form1, and I want to avoid lots of  ATF-related posts here - I'm just interested in the actual BUILDING part of this, I have a friendly connect at a local machine shop, and I have a bunch of questions:

- First, it seems to me most of the "kits" available online are garbage. Super-thin aluminum monocores that will probably stand up to about 3 shots of 5.56, and a lot of "D-Cell" stuff also made of whoknows quality aluminum. Am I wrong in thinking most of this is junk and I would need AT LEAST stainless or possibly titanium ($$$) for the baffles or cups, but aluminum is okay for the shell?

- I hear rumors everywhere of people coring-out the Surefire Trainers and making them into functioning suppressors but is that even a thing? I've got one... I also see these ads from machine shops for modifications to these trainers and the SF Wardens but I'm unclear on exactly what these mods are for....

- There seems to be no uniformity whatsoever about the sizing of cups or baffles available. 95% of what's available looks like it needs to be drilled, but I did find THESE - they look like they would be ideal except I can't find any prefab tube they would fit tightly in..

All in all it seems like the easiest (and best looking) solution would be to core-out my SF trainer... then I would just need to find baffles and an endcap to fit the correct diameter...

Wish I could find something like this that would be the correct diameter for my SF trainer, or even ANY prefab tube with an available prethreaded cap...

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 1:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ringsting] [#1]
Rut row! Pepper your dogs and hide your Angus!

ETA - I thought that this was GD - my bad. But it still applies!
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a F1 30 cal can.

Used my own machines did my own batfe papers.

Everything was from scrarch.

1.5 inch SS tube
SS end caps
SS baffles

The stainless was a real bitch to turn between the work hardning and amount of heat from the chips.

My can is hearing safe.

I went with volume 9 inch can 3 inch blast chamber 6 baffles
Weighs 17 Ozs (less  then a YH 30 cal can)

It's also take apart for easy cleaning.

My suggestion is since you're going to be using machines to start with all virgin material and do it right.

Cobbling some other tube and washer stuff together just sounds like janky dremmel work not worth the 200 bux and wait time for approval.

I mean why not thread both ends for maintnence  or/and make a mount that is QD for what ever the latest muzzle attachment is?
Those baffles you show are easy to make on a machine setup is where you lose time.
So if that is the baffle you want just make them.
My machines are all manual with DRO so I wasn't lucky enough to just push a button and wait.

Part of doing the F1 is bragging rights.
I listed mine above.

I was also kinda getting a laugh when the batfe was pissing theirself over the solvent trap stuff.
I at no time worried about that since I went with 100% raw materials.

My F1 can with my FA 556 upper.

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DWPW:
I want to avoid lots of  ATF-related posts here -

View Quote

For what it's worth, my advice would be to go back and focus on as many of the ATF related post that you can find on here because some of what you are asking about is borderline legal under current ATF regulations and the pre drilled cones you linked to have never been a legal option for Form 1 builds

The Form 1 world these days is a living example of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and no, much of the ATF's regs do not make any sense but that is the reality of the situation
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DWPW:

I'm just interested in the actual BUILDING part of this, I have a friendly connect at a local machine shop

View Quote

The bolded will save you if true.

Now that you have done the research to figure out how to fill out and file a form1, get that done and research what design you want to go with while the form is pending.

Take that info to your "friendly connect" and have them help you make the design.

The legality of anything bought off the shelf and used without modification is questionable (or situational) at best.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VinnieBoomBahReborn] [#5]
Also be aware that you need to be there at the machine shop while parts are being made so you are "in direct control"* of the parts at all times, this can be an issue if the machine shop doesn't allow customers in the work area while machines are being run

* I have heard the ATF opinion on how close you need to be to the parts expressed differently, some say 'in close proximity' with no definition of what that means, others have said that these days you pretty much need to push the start and stop button after the machinist sets it up to run.  I can't tell you for sure what the correct answer is, but I can tell you the wrong one is for the shop to run the parts while you are nowhere to be found

And before it comes up:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT ASK THE ATF FOR A LETTER
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Another source of baffles is s/s or titanium valve spring retainers. You have to turn the OD to fit your tube and spacers. I went with freeze plugs and my 8 x 1.5 inch can is hearing safe with 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
Another source of baffles is s/s or titanium valve spring retainers. You have to turn the OD to fit your tube and spacers. I went with freeze plugs and my 8 x 1.5 inch can is hearing safe with 6.5 CM.
View Quote

Quiet, I'm sure.  But you're just deaf, supersonics aren't hearing safe.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
They are all hearing safe if you shoot them long enough without ear pro
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By VinnieBoomBahReborn:
Also be aware that you need to be there at the machine shop while parts are being made so you are "in direct control"* of the parts at all times, this can be an issue if the machine shop doesn't allow customers in the work area while machines are being run

* I have heard the ATF opinion on how close you need to be to the parts expressed differently, some say 'in close proximity' with no definition of what that means, others have said that these days you pretty much need to push the start and stop button after the machinist sets it up to run.  I can't tell you for sure what the correct answer is, but I can tell you the wrong one is for the shop to run the parts while you are nowhere to be found

And before it comes up:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT ASK THE ATF FOR A LETTER
View Quote

I was not aware of this requirement. Well.... that kills this idea dead.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
View Quote

They are all 'hearing safe' if you shoot them long enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top