Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2023 10:09:59 PM EDT
I've always liked the looks of a shorty bolt action.  Seems so taci-cool - short for handling and a bolt action for both accuracy and ability to use a suppressor on for sentry and dog and streetlight work.  Or shooting paper as the case will be.

I saw for a couple of years, Remington was making a pistol version of their 700, with a sub-16 inch barrel, and if I remember correctly, a rail section on the back so you could put whatever brace on it you wanted.  I'd probably just get that and drive on, but they're not made anymore and apparently are quite popular, as last time I looked they were going for high prices on Gunbroker.

Questions:

1. Who makes such a shorty bolt action these days, preferably with, as Remington did, the ability to take on/off a brace, depending on court rulings via ATF's brace Rule, or eventually make it a SBR and put a stock on it?

2. I'd want one with a magazine, preferably the AICS pattern so I can use Magpul mags with it, of which I have quite a few already.

3. What caliber?  I'm thinking 300 BO would be the choice - supers for long range work, and for situations where you wanted a rifle's power, and subs for laughs at the range with a can, when it goes "Pop".  And sentry duty too.  But open to other calibers too.  

Any pictures of your shorty bolts would be useful and appreciated.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Savage, Q and Christensen have your pick.  Unless you want used or custom.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The Savage one looks interesting, and in 300 BO too.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Pork Sword is what you seek.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Savage is a Left Bolt Right Port so not ideal if you are trying to shoot it like a conventional rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#5]
I've been interested in that too.  Looks like the most viable alternative would be to SBR a Ruger American Ranch or Howa mini.  As much as it would be a shits n giggles gun, I can't justify the cost of a custom.  I think if PSA built a braced bolt gun they'd do really well.  OR if Ruger made a "charger" version of the RAR.  There's no affordable version (I don't count the weird lefty Savage) in the market, and I think whoever does it first could do quite well.   As it stands now, for me, the SBRd RAR or Howa is likely the way I'm going to go...

ETA SBR'ing a CZ 600 Trail might also be an option.  It's already in a chassis, so although the rifle costs more upfront, you wouldn't have to pay more for the chassis.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Normlizer] [#7]
I would go Q
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#8]
Ok, please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't .300BO require a .223 bolt face?  That would limit your choices of actions.

FWIW, it looks like the CZ 600 trail also qualifies for a $100 rebate from CZ.  $800-something for a .300 BO rifle in a chassis isn't too shabby

cz rebate info
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
I've been interested in that too.  Looks like the most viable alternative would be to SBR a Ruger American Ranch or Howa mini.  As much as it would be a shits n giggles gun, I can't justify the cost of a custom.  I think if PSA built a braced bolt gun they'd do really well.  OR if Ruger made a "charger" version of the RAR.  There's no affordable version (I don't count the weird lefty Savage) in the market, and I think whoever does it first could do quite well.   As it stands now, for me, the SBRd RAR or Howa is likely the way I'm going to go...

ETA SBR'ing a CZ 600 Trail might also be an option.  It's already in a chassis, so although the rifle costs more upfront, you wouldn't have to pay more for the chassis.
View Quote

If you buy a Howa barreled action you can build a pistol if you want. I’d just do the SBR but some guys really want a pistol.
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Ok, please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't .300BO require a .223 bolt face?  That would limit your choices of actions.

FWIW, it looks like the CZ 600 trail also qualifies for a $100 rebate from CZ.  $800-something for a .300 BO rifle in a chassis isn't too shabby

cz rebate info
View Quote

Yes same bolt face but almost every manufacturer makes a 223 or 300 gun at this point.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
what is your price range

ruger just came out with the gen 2 american and ranch rifles , nice guns at a good price point.  you could drop one of those into a sharps bros heatseeker chassis pretty cheap and just add your brace or stock of choice. i think that or the cz 600 trail would be good lower cost options.  i picked up a ruger american ranch in 300blk on black friday and it's a great handling little rifle

if your budget is higher there's been alot of good suggestions so far to look at including building one just how you want it , with remage and prefit barrels it's pretty easy to build one

"3. What caliber?  I'm thinking 300 BO would be the choice - supers for long range work, and for situations where you wanted a rifle's power, and subs for laughs at the range with a can, when it goes "Pop".  And sentry duty too.  But open to other calibers too."

/\ this was the question i kept going back and forth with.  i originally wanted a pork sword in 300blk but the availability sucked so i decided to just build a shorty bolt gun off a R700 action.  i ended up going with 308 win over 300blk for my build.  it has more case capacity to work with for supers , for subs 30 cal subs are pretty much same same whether it's 300 blk or 308 win.  if you don't handload 300 blk would be a much better choice though for subsonic ammo availability

i guess i'll be the first pic whore in your thread

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#11]
here's a current GD thread with some inspiration: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Let-s-talk-about-super-compact-SBR-bolt-action-rifles-Who-has-one-What-options-exist-/5-2695222/&page=3&anc=107225576#i107225576

I always liked the idea and want one, but honestly don't have a use for it. If they were under 1k all done, yeah sure I'd grab one. But really I just went with a semi auto rattler instead. subs and no can and it's a bolt action. Subs with the can it's pretty damn quiet for centerfire. Supers and it's making a big impact in a small package. The damn thing folds and fits into a kid's sized backpack, which makes travel nice and easy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 5:54:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#12]
Savage PCS. Multiple caliber options. I have the 300 BO. Fantastic. With a can and subs, whisper quiet!

https://savagearms.com/content?a=product_summary&p=firearms&s=57797

Also, Ruger charger for 22LR or 9MM

https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html

https://ruger.com/products/pcCharger/models.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Christensen Arms MPP in .308.
It’s 12.5 carbon fiber barrel and hand guard. Light little package.
It had the brace but it kicked me in the mouth every time I shot it.
Had it SBR’d and now it has a basic non collapsable MagPull stock on it.
Hit about 1.25-1.5 “ and 100 yards.
I generally run it with a SIG suppressor.
It chronos on average at 2397 with Federal non-typical 150gr.
It hits hard enough to swing the steel at 200.
Fun toy. Useful on deer inside about 150.
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Savage is a Left Bolt Right Port so not ideal if you are trying to shoot it like a conventional rifle.
View Quote

Yeah that's the downside to the Savage, the left handed action.  I suppose it's faster to use and less impactful on your sight picture than a right handed one, but this is a bolt action so not really looking to get high volume of fire out of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 1stID:

Yeah that's the downside to the Savage, the left handed action.  I suppose it's faster to use and less impactful on your sight picture than a right handed one, but this is a bolt action so not really looking to get high volume of fire out of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1stID:

It's just made to be shot as a pistol like they've done for years. Works great because you can keep your firing hand on the gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]

It's just made to be shot as a pistol like they've done for years. Works great because you can keep your firing hand on the gun.
View Quote

Exactly. Can actually keep my eye on the scope too while chambering another round. Which one do you have alaskanfire?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:

Exactly. Can actually keep my eye on the scope too while chambering another round. Which one do you have alaskanfire?
View All Quotes

I don't have any bolt action pistols. Closest was my TC that I SBRed. I have a Howa I'm going to SBR. I have no real desire for a braced pistol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]

I don't have any bolt action pistols. Closest was my TC that I SBRed. I have a Howa I'm going to SBR. I have no real desire for a braced pistol.
View All Quotes

Have no plans to put a brace on mine. Have a bipod on it. Can drop the left leg and grab that with left hand while right hand on the pistol grip. Works pretty slick standing and shooting. Wouldn’t do all day but works good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Have no plans to put a brace on mine. Have a bipod on it. Can drop the left leg and grab that with left hand while right hand on the pistol grip. Works pretty slick standing and shooting. Wouldn’t do all day but works good.
View All Quotes

That's how I shot my charger and it works.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#20]
It isn't an actual bolt action but Solo300 has their .300BO straight pull uppers and unbarreled uppers. You could use one of those on a pistol AR15 lower with a picatinny mount plug in place of the buffer tube.

You couldn't use AICS mags but it might be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
It isn't an actual bolt action but Solo300 has their .300BO straight pull uppers and unbarreled uppers. You could use one of those on a pistol AR15 lower with a picatinny mount plug in place of the buffer tube.

You couldn't use AICS mags but it might be worth looking into.
View Quote

Yes I've seen those, and have thought about going that option.  I could use that with one of my AR SBR's, and not have to fool with the brace.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Theres a Remington 700 CP in .300blk on gunbroker right now. Already has a brace on it. Right hand bolt.

All for the measly BIN price of $2400
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
Theres a Remington 700 CP in .300blk on gunbroker right now. Already has a brace on it. Right hand bolt.

All for the measly BIN price of $2400
View Quote

lol definitely not worth that. Wasn't the MSRP like 1200 or 1400? That was a tough enough sale.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

That’s how I started. My charger works great shooting it the way. When I saw the PCS come out, I knew I was going to do the same thing. A bit heavier with my can on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#25]

lol definitely not worth that. Wasn't the MSRP like 1200 or 1400? That was a tough enough sale.
View Quote
Yeah around there if I remember. Think these were made for 2-3 yrs though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top