Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2024 12:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain]
Found a Benelli M2 at a local gunshop in fantastic shape.  Has ghost ring sights, pistol grip, removable chokes (comes with 3), extended mag (not sure if it's factory, help me ID) and some sort of rubber side saddle that is attached to a rubber pic rail that mounts on top of the receiver

Priced at $1k.  Worth it?  Any idea what mag extension it may have?  The end of the mag tube has almost a follower type end plug that pushes in if pressed.  Is a tube more or less a tube?

The side saddle / pic rail rubber attachment any good, or is it garbage?  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What type of choke does it have in it?

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
4 notches is cylinder

Benelli extensions work like that, with a cap that captures a spring.

Side saddles are m1/m2 problematic. IIRC from armorer school  they dampen necessary recoil inertia

When I had them on my 18” M1 and my 14” M2, I would have to shoot buck/slugs for reliable function.

They cycle fine with highbrass #8 without the side saddle.

You’ll never wear it out if it is kept clean.  

I would pass at 1k. Theres newer tech in both Benelli/Beretta.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:23:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#3]
I'm aware there is "newer tech", however the "newer tech" is $500 more in the beretta and $1k more for the benelli, so not really a fair statement.

That's like someone saying they'd pass on a $400 pump gun because there is "newer tech" in semi autos.

For what the M2 is, is $1k a great price for it considering it is like new and comes with factory extension?  From what I've seen the factory tactical M1s without the extension go for $1,300 new min.  Around $1,500 with it!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Just do it

A deal is a deal.  Does not appear to be damaged or neglected.
If it suits you, snag it... I'd pass for a duck hunting application though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I paid $500 for mine 10 years ago at a pawn shop. They did not know what it was. Smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnGA:
I paid $500 for mine 10 years ago at a pawn shop. They did not know what it was. Smooth as silk.
View Quote

Wow, now that's a steal!

How many rounds do you have through it?  How does it cycle with various loads?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#7]
$1,000 puts you into a Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol that is gas driven, softer recoiling, will cycle even light recoil loads and you can make changes without worrying about causing reliability issues with the inertia system. The A300s gas system is a proven design. The 1301 Tactical can be found for around $500-$600 more but you get better sights, a faster gas system, the ability to use some of the newer designed stocks and even folding stocks on the market for the 1301. There certainly isn’t anything wrong with an M2 but for the same money better options like the A300UP exist. Unless you really want an M2 I would pass. It kind of sounds like you’ve already made up your mind and just want others to co-sign your decision.

$1,000
https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/beretta-a300-ultima-patrol/
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:25:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#8]
Originally Posted By MK318:
$1,000 puts you into a Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol that is gas driven, softer recoiling, will cycle even light recoil loads and you can make changes without worrying about causing reliability issues with the inertia system. The A300s gas system is a proven design. The 1301 Tactical can be found for around $500-$600 more but you get better sights, a faster gas system, the ability to use some of the newer designed stocks and even folding stocks on the market for the 1301. There certainly isn’t anything wrong with an M2 but for the same money better options like the A300UP exist. Unless you really want an M2 I would pass. It kind of sounds like you’ve already made up your mind and just want others to co-sign your decision.

$1,000
View Quote

You do realize that's thr whole.point of the Benelli system, is to not be a gas system, right?  Benefits are stupid clean and light.  No gas system weight.  No gas system girth, no gas system cleaning, no gas system adjustment.  I'd probably give you more grief - but your user name is too cool, so I stop here

They do kick though - that's true.

Here's my post a long time ago on a shotgun forum.  

https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/441-benelli-m2-my-review/

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Blain:
I'm aware there is "newer tech", however the "newer tech" is $500 more in the beretta and $1k more for the benelli, so not really a fair statement.

That's like someone saying they'd pass on a $400 pump gun because there is "newer tech" in semi autos.

For what the M2 is, is $1k a great price for it considering it is like new and comes with factory extension?  From what I've seen the factory tactical M1s without the extension go for $1,300 new min.  Around $1,500 with it!
View Quote

I would agree and feel like is a very reasonable price. There is nothing wrong with this older tech. It’s only continued to prove it has a place.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

You do realize that's thr whole.point of the Benelli system, is to not be a gas system, right?  Benefits are stupid clean and light.  No gas system weight.  No gas system girth, no gas system cleaning, no gas system adjustment.  I'd probably give you more grief - but your user name is too cool, so I stop here

View Quote

You also have the ability to swap barrel lengths with the M2.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:09:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

$1,000

Weight? Bulk? Adjustment? My guy, you could have literally said you have never handled a 1301 without having to write all that. The 1301 weighs the same as the M2, (actually it’s a couple of ounces lighter), I have gone over 1,000 shells in a weekend without cleaning. I have over 15K shells through my Gen 1 1301 with no parts breakages, it just works. I have never adjusted anything and it runs everything including cheap AA win loads from Walmart. What bulk? It is slim. The M2 is a great shotgun but nobody is designing intera driven shotguns in 2024 and everyone has moved towards gas driven. Those drawbacks you noted haven’t been a thing for a long time now. Gas guns have changed a lot. Beretta/Benelli have them figured out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]

$1,000
View Quote

It sounds like I "made up my mind" because I don't think someone telling me to pay 2x more for an M4 is a viable answer?  Sounds like you're just trying to start an argument!  

Yes, I realize that the 1301 and M4 are better shotguns with more advanced tech.  I also can't get them for anywhere near $1k.  I also won't be going into combat with light field and skeet loads so it's not a huge deal if the M2 doesn't cycle those 100% reliable.  All I care about is that it will cycle 100% every time with moderate power buck and slugs.  That's realistically all you need a combat shotgun to be able to do.  Will the M2 do that?  If not, then I'll pass on it.  If I can get a semi in the same price range that can do that, but better WITH the same features (ghost ring sights, extended mag, chokes) then I will consider those alternatives and might again pass on the M2.  From what I've seen a tactical M2 with a factory extended tube, which this appears to have, usually goes for around $1,500 so this seems like a really good deal if it is reliable.  

I will look into the A300, didn't realize it could be had for around the same price.  Is it as proven / reliable as the 1301?  I know the 1301 gets all the hype / press, so I never bothered to look into the cheaper beretta offerings.  Figured something about them must be substandard to be selling for less than the 1301 (like with the benellis).  Also, does it take / come with chokes?  The M1 being able to accept chokes and extend my effective range with buck is a major factor to me.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say price is a tad high. Just for perspective I watched a m1 super 90 tactical with a surefire/LP lighted forearm and factory extension sit for sale on a local forum for $650 for about a month before I gave in and bought it. I would say the biggest complaint is the factory pistol grip stock is not very comfortable. The standard stock is better for recoil in my opinion.

The fact the m2 is threaded for chokes is nice. But realistically for a defensive shotgun it doesn’t matter much.

Now the a300 seems to be all the rage at the moment. For 1k new I think it’s a better choice. Better availability of accessories for the a300
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#15]
A grand is about what they're going for here, give or take. They don't come up very often. Looks like a factory mag extension, hard to tell. Anything you add to the thing, like a sidesaddle could cause it to short cycle. It's recoil operated= adding mass. No bueno. But shoot and try. Also depends on which recoil spring is installed.  Match that with the ammo you're using. Low recoil, standard target, heavy target, etc.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#16]

It sounds like I "made up my mind" because I don't think someone telling me to pay 2x more for an M4 is a viable answer?  Sounds like you're just trying to start an argument!  

Yes, I realize that the 1301 and M4 are better shotguns with more advanced tech.  I also can't get them for anywhere near $1k.  I also won't be going into combat with light field and skeet loads so it's not a huge deal if the M2 doesn't cycle those 100% reliable.  All I care about is that it will cycle 100% every time with moderate power buck and slugs.  That's realistically all you need a combat shotgun to be able to do.  Will the M2 do that?  If not, then I'll pass on it.  If I can get a semi in the same price range that can do that, but better WITH the same features (ghost ring sights, extended mag, chokes) then I will consider those alternatives and might again pass on the M2.  From what I've seen a tactical M2 with a factory extended tube, which this appears to have, usually goes for around $1,500 so this seems like a really good deal if it is reliable.  

I will look into the A300, didn't realize it could be had for around the same price.  Is it as proven / reliable as the 1301?  I know the 1301 gets all the hype / press, so I never bothered to look into the cheaper beretta offerings.  Figured something about them must be substandard to be selling for less than the 1301 (like with the benellis).  Also, does it take / come with chokes?  The M1 being able to accept chokes and extend my effective range with buck is a major factor to me.

View All Quotes

$1,000

Literally nobody told you to buy an M4. They said there is newer tech with the Beretta/Benelli in the same price range. The A300U can be had for the exact same price is the newer tech they were eluding to. The A300 is not new, it has been around for a long time now and yes, I’d say it is as proven as the 1301. Lots and I mean lots of duck hunters carry the A300 into some very rough environments. Like I said, you’ve made up your mind already you’re just looking for a pat on the back. Thing is you’re paying 2024 prices for a 90s era combat shotgun when better options exists for your money. You asked the question about the M2 and now you’re hurt you’re not getting the glowing response you wanted. You want the M2 buy it, but when you pose the question if the M2 is worth it, at $1,000, no it’s not. There are better options for $1,000.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#17]

Literally nobody told you to buy an M4. They said there is newer tech with the Beretta/Benelli in the same price range. The A300U can be had for the exact same price is the newer tech they were eluding to. The A300 is not new, it has been around for a long time now and yes, I’d say it is as proven as the 1301. Lots and I mean lots of duck hunters carry the A300 into some very rough environments. Like I said, you’ve made up your mind already you’re just looking for a pat on the back. Thing is you’re paying 2024 prices for a 90s era combat shotgun when better options exists for your money. You asked the question about the M2 and now you’re hurt you’re not getting the glowing response you wanted. You want the M2 buy it, but when you pose the question if the M2 is worth it, at $1,000, no it’s not. There are better options for $1,000.
View All Quotes

$1,000

"New tech in the benelli", tell me, what is the benelli shotgun with new tech over the M2?  The M4, which costs twice as much.  So, yes it was insinuated that I pay up to 2x more.  "Pat on the back"?  "I'm hurt?"  I was right, you really are trolling and looking to just start an argument.  Every thread I see you post in, you try to troll and cause drama and arguments.  From your 2022 join date, high post count, and "My guy" lingo, you're obviously young in age and extremely immature.  You follow whatever trend the "in crowd" says is the new best thing and parrot it without question.  I'm not bothering engaging in your trolling responses anymore, because you're not on my level or worth my time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#18]

"New tech in the benelli", tell me, what is the benelli shotgun with new tech over the M2?  The M4, which costs twice as much.  So, yes it was insinuated that I pay up to 2x more.  "Pat on the back"?  "I'm hurt?"  I was right, you really are trolling and looking to just start an argument.  Every thread I see you post in, you try to troll and cause drama and arguments.  From your 2022 join date, high post count, and "My guy" lingo, you're obviously young in age and extremely immature.  You follow whatever trend the "in crowd" says is the new best thing and parrot it without question.  I'm not bothering engaging in your trolling responses anymore, because you're not on my level or worth my time.
View All Quotes

$1,000

Not gonna lie - dude kinda does come across as a bit of a jerk - for a tech-forum post.  Might actually be right on stuff; good choice in ammo at least, but... eh, I guess some days I have to work on my people skillz too I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#19]

View All Quotes

$1,000

I’m probably older than most here, in fact I find it interesting how personal some of you get over a response that isn’t totally coddling your wants and desires. You took my opinion about the question you posed about if spending $1,000 on a used Benelli M2 and made it completely personal to the point you actually said “you’re not on my level” and I’m the young one? I’m the immature one? You actually post more than me by the way. It seems that maybe your post is projecting your own self and feelings. Look, you want the M2 buy it. You don’t need an eco chamber full of strangers on the internet telling you it’s great. As long as you’re happy with it, that is all the matters. If you’re going to pose a question though, don’t get your feelings hurt if not everyone is in agreement with you. My opinion, the M2 is a fantastic shotgun and in its day it was the best you could own but in 2024 for $1,000 the Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol is a better gun and since you are halfway there and if you can spring for it the Beretta 1301 and the Benelli M4 is the best you can get.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#20]

$1,000
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Not gonna lie - dude kinda does come across as a bit of a jerk - for a tech-forum post.  Might actually be right on stuff; good choice in ammo at least, but... eh, I guess some days I have to work on my people skillz too I suppose.
View Quote

What you call a jerk, I call forward and direct. I didn’t realize I should soften the blow then you started out your factually incorrect post with the arrogant “You do realize that's thr whole.point of the Benelli system, is to not be a gas system, right?” Then went on to rattle off totally inaccurate statements about gas system shotguns like weight, bulk, tuning a gas system, cleaning and such. You saw me as coming off as a jerk because I pointed out you were being a lazy engineer and relaying concerns about gas driven shotguns that haven't been relevant in well over a decade. If you were immature like I have been referred to and followed trends and actually shot regularly and went to courses regularly, you’d know that for some time now most of the scatter guns that show up are various versions of gas driven with a sprinkling of pump action and almost nobody outside of comp shooters who are using $4K custom tuned guns are using an inertia system. Modern fighting shotguns are gas driven and they work, reliably. Even the comp guys see the writing on the wall, the cutting edge for them are gas driven with a detachable magazine. I’m not saying you have to follow all the trends but don’t fool yourself about modern gas system. Any drawbacks have been fleshed out these days. It’s weird how I get called names but I’m supposed to be the young and immature one and yet somehow was able to address both of you without calling you names or trying to belittle you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]

What you call a jerk, I call forward and direct. I didn’t realize I should soften the blow then you started out your factually incorrect post with the arrogant “You do realize that's thr whole.point of the Benelli system, is to not be a gas system, right?” Then went on to rattle off totally inaccurate statements about gas system shotguns like weight, bulk, tuning a gas system, cleaning and such. You saw me as coming off as a jerk because I pointed out you were being a lazy engineer and relaying concerns about gas driven shotguns that haven't been relevant in well over a decade. If you were immature like I have been referred to and followed trends and actually shot regularly and went to courses regularly, you’d know that for some time now most of the scatter guns that show up are various versions of gas driven with a sprinkling of pump action and almost nobody outside of comp shooters who are using $4K custom tuned guns are using an inertia system. Modern fighting shotguns are gas driven and they work, reliably. Even the comp guys see the writing on the wall, the cutting edge for them are gas driven with a detachable magazine. I’m not saying you have to follow all the trends but don’t fool yourself about modern gas system. Any drawbacks have been fleshed out these days. It’s weird how I get called names but I’m supposed to be the young and immature one and yet somehow was able to address both of you without calling you names or trying to belittle you.
View All Quotes

$1,000

meh, 2 lines in, then gave up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

$1,000

Doesn’t surprise me. Just like it doesn’t surprise me that both of you are in pissing matches together in multiple sections on ARF. You want eco chambers and get hurt when it’s pointed out you were wrong. I'd probably give you more grief - but your user name fits, so I stop here.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:50:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#23]
Used for $1k?  Ehhh... I might pass.  $1k isn't a terrible price if it's like new condition with box and everything it's supposed to come with... but it's not a "buy it on the spot" price either.  You could do worse.  But you could also probably get into a new one for within $100 if you shop around or find a good sale. I got my Montefeltro (basically an M2 dressed up in wood with a vent rib) for $1k NEW (on sale) at like Dicks or Cabelas or something.  I got my M2 Entry SBS for like $1100 new from IMPACT.

Don't overlook the comfortech stocks either - very nice.  In addition to obviously reducing felt recoil, the comfortech stocks have flex build in them to allow the inertia system to function reliably.  The inertia system needs the gun to have some minimum amount of rearward velocity.  If you hold the gun buttstock firmly against something immovable like a wall or large tree so the gun literally can't kick backwards and then fire it... it will not eject the spent shell and cycle.  That's why if you hang too much shit off a Benelli, the extra weight soaks up recoil velocity and then weaker loads can begin to fail to cycle.  It's not a problem with full power buckshot, slugs or duck loads... just gamer and sporting loads.  But basically, just don't feed it soft loads while weighing it down with 87 accessories (3 side saddles, bayonet, 4D maglight, tight bandolier sling, heat shields, etc... etc...) and they are very reliable.  I have a mini red dots and esstac velcro 6-shot side saddle cards on both my Benellis and they're very reliable.  They've never missed a beat even shooting clays with cheap walmart clay loads.

Otherwise, excellent shotguns.  Very clean. Very simple.  Very light and slim.  Very little maintenance.  You know how people joke about "if I were going to explore another planet, and I had to pick one rifle to take with me, I'd take an AK because they just work"?  Well, If i were taking just one shotgun to explore another planet it'd be an M2 because they're simple and reliable.  And M2's can be ghost-loaded (aka: float a shell, carrier-load, etc...) with very minor modification to get 5+1+1 capacity 100% reliably.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]

You do realize that's thr whole.point of the Benelli system, is to not be a gas system, right?  Benefits are stupid clean and light.

View All Quotes

You do realize that's thr whole.point of the Benelli system, is to not be a gas system, right?  Benefits are stupid clean and light.

Don't listen to that guy.  He is straight up lying.  For one he claims the Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol is "lighter" than the M2 tactical....no it isn't.  For one Beretta doesn't list the weight on their website, but from what I've been able to gather from people who have weighed them, the A300 Ultima Patrol weighs ~ 7 pound 2 ounces.  The M2 tactical listed weight is under 6.5 pounds, so over half a pound in weight difference.  For the comparable duck gun versions of each, the M2 counterpart is much lighter as well (what I noticed reading review comparisons of them).

The ironic part about this individual is that he uses projection hardcore.  He states over and over again how I allegedly "made up my mind", when he is clearly the one who has already made up his mind to the point where he is spouting plain falsehoods to try to justify his stance.

He refused to answer any of my questions and ignored me plainly stating that if one can find reliability issues for the M2 with regular buck / slugs I would instantly lose interest.  As I said, I would not be going into combat with cheap bulk field loads so how it cycles with those is not relevant.  He insults and belittles me in his posts and then gaslights that I am the one who is doing that to him...

Pay him no mind.  

You follow whatever trend the "in crowd" says is the new best thing and parrot it without question.

If you were immature like I have been referred to and followed trends and actually shot regularly and went to courses regularly, you’d know    ...I’m not saying you have to follow all the trends.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#25]
Originally Posted By chrishag:
I would say price is a tad high. Just for perspective I watched a m1 super 90 tactical with a surefire/LP lighted forearm and factory extension sit for sale on a local forum for $650 for about a month before I gave in and bought it. I would say the biggest complaint is the factory pistol grip stock is not very comfortable. The standard stock is better for recoil in my opinion.

The fact the m2 is threaded for chokes is nice. But realistically for a defensive shotgun it doesn’t matter much.

Now the a300 seems to be all the rage at the moment. For 1k new I think it’s a better choice. Better availability of accessories for the a300
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chrishag:

I mean, I don't know the details of your shotgun (age, configuration, condition) but if it was in similar condition and configuration to mine (full factory mag extension, ghost ring sights, like new condition) sounds like a steal!  Those local forums don't get near as much traffic as a larger site like this one (or gunbroker) so even good deals can tend to sit for a while.  Again though, if it's say a 30 year old gun, non GS sights, non factory mag extension, maybe rougher condition, then I don't really see how you can list it as a fair comparison.  Even though they are similar guns, the M2 does have newer features and the tech is tweaked / enhanced a bit (Also comes with chokes which is a big deal to me).  

Also, sometimes you just come across good deals.  I bought a 357 Desert Eagle for $550 and an original 357 Magnum Coonan for $650.  That doens't mean that if one found those guns for double those prices that they would be "bad deals" just because I happened to steal them...

Originally Posted By Millennial:
Used for $1k?  Ehhh... I might pass.  $1k isn't a terrible price if it's like new condition with box and everything it's supposed to come with... but it's not a "buy it on the spot" price either.  You could do worse.  But you could also probably get into a new one for within $100 if you shop around or find a good sale.

I haven't seen anything new or used listed in that configuration (factory extended mag tube, GRS) for around that price.  Keep in mind, this is the tactical version NOT a duck gun (which usually don't move as fast)...  I haven't seen the tactical versions of the M2 on sale new or used for near that price in this configuration.  If you know of a source of one for that, please show me though.  If I could get a brand new one for only $100 more, than this used one wouldn't be much of a deal at all!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:22:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#26]

Don't listen to that guy.  He is straight up lying.  For one he claims the Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol is "lighter" than the M2 tactical....no it isn't.  For one Beretta doesn't list the weight on their website, but from what I've been able to gather from people who have weighed them, the A300 Ultima Patrol weighs ~ 7 pound 2 ounces.  The M2 tactical listed weight is under 6.5 pounds, so over half a pound in weight difference.  For the comparable duck gun versions of each, the M2 counterpart is much lighter as well (what I noticed reading review comparisons of them).

The ironic part about this individual is that he uses projection hardcore.  He states over and over again how I allegedly "made up my mind", when he is clearly the one who has already made up his mind to the point where he is spouting plain falsehoods to try to justify his stance.

He refused to answer any of my questions and ignored me plainly stating that if one can find reliability issues for the M2 with regular buck / slugs I would instantly lose interest.  As I said, I would not be going into combat with cheap bulk field loads so how it cycles with those is not relevant.  He insults and belittles me in his posts and then gaslights that I am the one who is doing that to him...

Pay him no mind.  

View All Quotes

Pay him no mind.  

You follow whatever trend the "in crowd" says is the new best thing and parrot it without question.

If you were immature like I have been referred to and followed trends and actually shot regularly and went to courses regularly, you’d know    ...I’m not saying you have to follow all the trends.

I never said anything comparing the A300 and M2s weight, specifically I said 1301 is lighter than the M2 because it is, it’s right up there if you scroll up. You are totally making up the other stuff. You never asked me about buck or slug performance. You are the one who said that “I wasn’t in your level” but I belittled you? Like the other pissing matches you’re in around the various sections of the site, you come off delusional to the point you spin your own tail while pulling others into your nonsense. Now I understand why you were removed once before. You two want to play off each other and cause problems, that’s your business. I and others have answered your question about the M2. Sorry you didn’t like the answer. What you do with that is up to you. What I’d suggest though,

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a used M2 Field about 6 months ago.  It fits me, I shoot clays well with it, and I don't feel bad bringing it out in the rain and through the brush while hunting birds.

Your pic shows an IC choke in the barrel.

5 notches = cyl
4 notches = IC
3 notches = mod
2 notches = IM
1 notch = full

I spent $1050 on mine because I found exactly what I wanted.  I've shot the pre 2023 and the current-gen models.  I like that the Comfortech stock has the ability to accept combs for different heights and I think the older-gen stock with the comb, pad, and chevrons shoots softer than the cheaper stock on the 2023+ models.

Benellis hold their value very well.  If you don't like it, you likely will be able to sell it for just a very small loss.  I do not have any experience with the tactical model, but I'm quite happy with my field model.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Nothing wrong with that M2. I haven’t priced one in a while.  But the price seems ok.   I own the 1301 , M4 and an M2 field grade.  It’s extremely light.  It runs really clean. It’s retarded simple system.  It’s as reliable as any of the ones already mentioned.  All of them are great and proven. I got my 1301 gen2 tactical at a low price for when it came out.   With what 1301’s are selling for now , I would have went for a M2 tactical instead.  That’s how much I believe in that system.   Ending this in saying if I could only have one , it would be an M4.   I like it better than the 1301 .  The 1301 is light.  It is light because it is made with thinner , lighter materials.  My opinion, the M4 is just a rugged mother fucker.  Marine tough I guess you could say.  This is nothing but my opinions.  Means nothing.  Wardawg
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:11:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#29]
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
Nothing wrong with that M2. I haven’t priced one in a while.  But the price seems ok.   I own the 1301 , M4 and an M2 field grade.  It’s extremely light.  It runs really clean. It’s retarded simple system.  It’s as reliable as any of the ones already mentioned.  All of them are great and proven. I got my 1301 gen2 tactical at a low price for when it came out.   With what 1301’s are selling for now , I would have went for a M2 tactical instead.  That’s how much I believe in that system.   Ending this in saying if I could only have one , it would be an M4.   I like it better than the 1301 .  The 1301 is light.  It is light because it is made with thinner , lighter materials.  My opinion, the M4 is just a rugged mother fucker.  Marine tough I guess you could say.  This is nothing but my opinions.  Means nothing.  Wardawg
View Quote

Do you think the M4 is worth 2x the M2?

Which would be your #2 choice?  How does the M2 compare to the 1301?  Pros and cons of each?  Is the 1301 straight up a better shotgun?

What are your thoughts on picking an A300 tactical over the M2 as some have suggested?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

The M4s thick ass 4140 ord steel barrel and most people have a steel mag tube on them, give a lot of the heft to the M4. The 1301 has a thinner profile barrel made out of Berettas proprietary Steelium, CHF, chrome lined barrel but the rest of the gun, including the mag tube is aluminum which saves you a lot of weight. The M4s thicker barrel was needed to pass the corrosion salt spray testing, similar to the Mossberg 590A1 and its really thick barrel. I assume to allow for pitting and heavy rust but still being serviceable. The Steelium that Beretta is using in some of their rifles and shotguns is pretty interesting. I don’t believe the A300UP gets a Steelium barrel but the 1301 does. The material allows for a thinner and lighter barrel but still being very durable, especially with the CHF process and chrome lining but more than that the longer forcing cone of 65mm makes for a more consistent pattering shotgun. Beretta owns Benelli, I’m not sure why Beretta hasn’t brought this same tech to the higher end Benelli guns. While modern shells like the flite control 00 have really changed the game when it comes to accuracy, it’s nice to have that longer forcing cone for when you might find yourself using shit tier ammo like those old green hull Winchester military 00 buck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I ended up picking up a M2 Tactical on this site.  I went with the M2 because I wanted to be able to slap a longer hunting barrel on it because I'm usually borrowing a buddies shotgun when he invites me out to goose hunt.

I went to a couple gun shops over the past weekend and ran into two used M2 Tacticals.  Both were priced at $1200 from two different shops.  I paid $1000 for mine and feel like I got a good deal on what I was looking for.  

I may look at something like a M4 in the future but I honestly don't see myself spending the money.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#32]
What shop is that?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Which would be your #2 choice?  How does the M2 compare to the 1301?  Pros and cons of each?  Is the 1301 straight up a better shotgun?

What are your thoughts on picking an A300 tactical over the M2 as some have suggested?
View Quote

Honestly I  use a shotgun for Home Defense.  I also take them to my range and shoot drills with them on steel plates.  I occasionally go shoot skeet/sportsman with buddies.  That’s the reason I got the M2.  It’s ran mainly cheap ass Walmart Winchester white box.  Never had a stoppage.  The M2 is a great shotgun.  The others mentioned are too. I sadly know nothing about the A300.  A lot of people like it .  But my opinion is its following has spiked due to price.  I got pulled into the 1301 by great reviews and the price was great compared to the M4. But since I got it the price has went up stiffly.  The A300 is priced as the lower range of great autos.  I like the M2 tactical version.  Did that one your looking at leave the factory as a tactical model?   I see you doing well with that M2 or the A300.  Can’t lose actually.  I know I didn’t answer you 100% …..Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Honestly I  use a shotgun for Home Defense.  I also take them to my range and shoot drills with them on steel plates.  I occasionally go shoot skeet/sportsman with buddies.  That’s the reason I got the M2.  It’s ran mainly cheap ass Walmart Winchester white box.  Never had a stoppage.  The M2 is a great shotgun.  The others mentioned are too. I sadly know nothing about the A300.  A lot of people like it .  But my opinion is its following has spiked due to price.  I got pulled into the 1301 by great reviews and the price was great compared to the M4. But since I got it the price has went up stiffly.  The A300 is priced as the lower range of great autos.  I like the M2 tactical version.  Did that one your looking at leave the factory as a tactical model?   I see you doing well with that M2 or the A300.  Can’t lose actually.  I know I didn’t answer you 100% …..Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:03:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#35]

I never said anything comparing the A300 and M2s weight, specifically I said 1301 is lighter than the M2 because it is, it’s right up there if you scroll up. You are totally making up the other stuff. You never asked me about buck or slug performance. You are the one who said that “I wasn’t in your level” but I belittled you? Like the other pissing matches you’re in around the various sections of the site, you come off delusional to the point you spin your own tail while pulling others into your nonsense. Now I understand why you were removed once before. You two want to play off each other and cause problems, that’s your business. I and others have answered your question about the M2. Sorry you didn’t like the answer. What you do with that is up to you. What I’d suggest though,

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/throwTheTowel-551.gif

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/200-816.gif
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4199_jpeg-3169061.JPG
View All Quotes

Pay him no mind.  

Dude I have no idea who Blane is, but between your speed to attack and gusto behind it, and cybersnooping people around this forum, you got issues man. Screenshotting other people's text in a gun forum is just weird.

On the technical front, I did look it up, the Beretta is a few oz heavier than an M2 - though not by much, better than gas used to be.  I wasn't going to bother saying anything as I didn't want to be petty about it - and dropped this thread anyway.  But sure, your Beretta looks like a neat shotgun.  Glad you like it. It's still gas operated and subject to fouling from that - but you seem happy, and gas is softer, so has some appeal - so great.

You can kindly remove my name and profile from your bookmarks list or whatever now and go cyberstalk someone else now.  K'thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 3one5:
I ended up picking up a M2 Tactical on this site.  I went with the M2 because I wanted to be able to slap a longer hunting barrel on it because I'm usually borrowing a buddies shotgun when he invites me out to goose hunt.

I went to a couple gun shops over the past weekend and ran into two used M2 Tacticals.  Both were priced at $1200 from two different shops.  I paid $1000 for mine and feel like I got a good deal on what I was looking for.  

I may look at something like a M4 in the future but I honestly don't see myself spending the money.

View All Quotes

Interesting.  Did they all have the ghost rings and extended mag tubes (the one you got for $1k and the two used you saw)?  The one you got was $1k + shipping, FFL fees, etc?  Or $1k all in?

Originally Posted By 03RN:
What shop is that?

Contact me

The A300 is priced as the lower range of great autos.  I like the M2 tactical version.  Did that one your looking at leave the factory as a tactical model?   I see you doing well with that M2 or the A300.  Can’t lose actually.  I know I didn’t answer you 100% …..https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_1963_jpeg-3169965.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_2233_jpeg-3169967.JPG

I called benelli, they said it was a 2013 production gun, came from the factory with the ghost rings, factory mag extension, but had a ComforTech stock.  The owner must have replaced with a pistol grip stock later.  I need to have them double check the box to see if it also has the original stock.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#37]

Dude I have no idea who Blane is, but between your speed to attack and gusto behind it, and cybersnooping people around this forum, you got issues man. Screenshotting other people's text in a gun forum is just weird.

On the technical front, I did look it up, the Beretta is a few oz heavier than an M2 though not by much, better than gas used to be.  I wasn't going to bother saying anything as I didn't want to be petty about it - and dropped this thread anyway.  But sure, your Beretta looks like a neat shotgun.  Glad you like it. It's still gas operated and subject to fouling from that - but you seem happy, and gas is softer, so has some appeal - so great.

You can kindly remove my name and profile from your bookmarks list or whatever now and go cyberstalk someone else now.  K'thanks.
View All Quotes

Pay him no mind.  

On the technical front, I did look it up, the Beretta is a few oz heavier than an M2 though not by much, better than gas used to be.  I wasn't going to bother saying anything as I didn't want to be petty about it - and dropped this thread anyway.  But sure, your Beretta looks like a neat shotgun.  Glad you like it. It's still gas operated and subject to fouling from that - but you seem happy, and gas is softer, so has some appeal - so great.

Dramatics and the text I screen shotted was my own, but you knew that, you are just trolling at this point. You two both are in the handgun section engaging in the same shit with other people in that section, it is right there on page one and it has happened enough times recently no searching or stalking or lists or whatever is needed. I could care less about you but when you say some dumb shit that isn’t correct, expect to get called on it. The claims you made about gas systems was outright bullshit and you were so smug about being wrong it was kind of funny. Even more so that you are still spreading incorrect information. I bolded and underlined it. Explain to me how the M2 is a few oz lighter. The weight listed from Benelli is without the extended magtube, just the 5 round tube. The extended tube adds almost 4 more oz which would put it over 7 pounds. Your claim about fouling with the 1301 is wrong too. That along with your claim about bulk, weight, and tuning the gas system shows you have no knowledge or experience with the 1301 and I’m guessing the M4 either. You can blast shells all weekend long, thousands of shells through the M4 or 1301 and fouling isn’t going to be an issue. Your fouling comment reminds me of the mouth breathers you hear in a gun store telling people to buy a revolver because they can’t jam.

Beretta 1301 tactical 7+1 tube 6.7 pounds.
Benelli M2 Tactical 5+1 tube 6.7 pounds.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Dramatics and the text I screen shotted was my own, but you knew that, you are just trolling at this point. You two both are in the handgun section engaging in the same shit with other people in that section, it is right there on page one and it has happened enough times recently no searching or stalking or lists or whatever is needed. I could care less about you but when you say some dumb shit that isn’t correct, expect to get called on it. The claims you made about gas systems was outright bullshit and you were so smug about being wrong it was kind of funny. Even more so that you are still spreading incorrect information. I bolded and underlined it. Explain to me how the M2 is a few oz lighter. The weight listed from Benelli is without the extended magtube, just the 5 round tube. The extended tube adds almost 4 more oz which would put it over 7 pounds. Your claim about fouling with the 1301 is wrong too. That along with your claim about bulk, weight, and tuning the gas system shows you have no knowledge or experience with the 1301 and I’m guessing the M4 either. You can blast shells all weekend long, thousands of shells through the M4 or 1301 and fouling isn’t going to be an issue. Your fouling comment reminds me of the mouth breathers you hear in a gun store telling people to buy a revolver because they can’t jam.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4214_jpeg-3170020.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4216_jpeg-3170021.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4218_jpeg-3170022.JPG
View All Quotes

Pay him no mind.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4214_jpeg-3170020.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4216_jpeg-3170021.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4218_jpeg-3170022.JPG

Dude, seriously - you have issues.    I have no idea what you're even talking about - but apparently I piss you off enough to make a mark and take up real-estate in your head.  Ah well.

Thanks for the correction on the weight for the $1800 version list price shotgun.  The site I looked at said it was 7lb. In either case a remarkable improvement vs the clunky heavy fat front-end gas systems used to have to have.  Go go Beretta.    

TBH, if you want cheap gas, Tokarev's are underappreciated and tiny - but dense and require a lot of break-in - and are cheap with no resell value or soul, and will probably break soon enough -  but hey -  since we're here to shit on OP's post and tell him how much better other guns are.  Right now, that crazy gun is actually my personal favorite, and it's remarkably good with instant swing and a green HUD sight, at crushing clays.  I personally don't care for shotguns with tube magazines at all - as they become silly reloading speed tests with absurd shot-shell management systems, more than anything in 3-gun matches.  The magazine concept needs work, but is improving.

Standing by for your next shit-post.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
What shop is that?
View Quote

Are you asking me or the OP?  Mine are in Northern, CO
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Dude, seriously - you have issues.    I have no idea what you're even talking about - but apparently I piss you off enough to make a mark and take up real-estate in your head.  Ah well.

Thanks for the correction on the weight for the $1800 version list price shotgun.  The site I looked at said it was 7lb. In either case a remarkable improvement vs the clunky heavy fat front-end gas systems used to have to have.  Go go Beretta.    

TBH, if you want cheap gas, Tokarev's are underappreciated and tiny - but dense and require a lot of break-in - and are cheap with no resell value or soul, and will probably break soon enough -  but hey -  since we're here to shit on OP's post and tell him how much better other guns are.  Right now, that crazy gun is actually my personal favorite, and it's remarkably good with instant swing and a green HUD sight, at crushing clays.  I personally don't care for shotguns with tube magazines at all - as they become silly reloading speed tests with absurd shot-shell management systems, more than anything in 3-gun matches.  The magazine concept needs work, but is improving.

View All Quotes

Pay him no mind.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Interesting.  Did they all have the ghost rings and extended mag tubes (the one you got for $1k and the two used you saw)?  The one you got was $1k + shipping, FFL fees, etc?  Or $1k all in?

Contact me

I called benelli, they said it was a 2013 production gun, came from the factory with the ghost rings, factory mag extension, but had a ComforTech stock.  The owner must have replaced with a pistol grip stock later.  I need to have them double check the box to see if it also has the original stock.

View Quote

They both had the shorter factory magazine extension, pistol grip stock, and ghost ring sights.  Mine is in the same configuration but includes a mounted optic rail and I paid $50 more to get the field stock as well.  I will have a $30 FFL fee on my end when it arrives but shipping was covered in the transaction.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Contact me

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I think that’s a decent deal. Since you checked with the factory. M2’sl ike that  are selling new for about $1400.  I just looked at a few sights.  Didn’t look everywhere.  Buds , europtic ,  Try $900 then $950.  Still $1000 I would  pay that .  Good luck , WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Pay him no mind.  

They both had the shorter factory magazine extension, pistol grip stock, and ghost ring sights.  Mine is in the same configuration but includes a mounted optic rail and I paid $50 more to get the field stock as well.  I will have a $30 FFL fee on my end when it arrives but shipping was covered in the transaction.  

How much do you figure for you to add the factory extended mag tube?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_5508_jpeg-3170073.JPG

I think that’s a decent deal. Since you checked with the factory. M2’sl ike that  are selling new for about $1400.  I just looked at a few sights.  Didn’t look everywhere.  Buds , europtic ,  Try $900 then $950.  Still $1000 I would  pay that .  Good luck , WarDawg

$1,400 without the factory extended mag tube!  Then you have shipping, FFL fee, etc.

The place this is at does NOT negotiate at all.  The price is the price, though it seems to be a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Holy Crap, they have a Kittery Trading Post in Somalia?!?!

KTP's prices are generally reasonable on used prices. I like the ones I have bought there.

I'd fo for that price. Every M2 I have shot has been solid.

Thinking about one in 20g for a lighter duck gun to upgrade from the M3020, my shoulder is not doing better as I get older so the 12g of my youth is becoming a thumper.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Pay him no mind.  

Thank You!  You're not quite as stalky as I was beginning to wonder.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Is that a Benelli pistol grip stock ????  The comfort tech stock from what I can tell is $$$$$$.  But I’m sure somebody makes a bolt on stock that you could add kick ezz or limbsaver on.  I honestly don’t know if the Benelli comfort tech is all that.  It’s certainly cool looking !! 😬
Again if it looks barely used , it might have been fired a few times and put in the safe.  Please report back …. I think I paid like  a little over a $1000 , 8-9 years ago for my field grade.  Wardawg
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I am happy enough with my A300 ultima patrol in the high 8xx range that I’d have a hard time suggesting an M2 in the 1k range used.

The beretta will need a new magazine tube spring, but other than that it is an excellent shotgun that has some nice features out of the box that the M2 doesn’t (MLOK for mounting a light).

I also have been able to get my A300 to run shells that, not from experience but from research, would likely give the M2 problems.  

I’d vote new A300 ultima patrol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#50]
A better picture of my field grade M2. Attachment Attached File

Again I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top