Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 4:56:19 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Howell 45 Colt conversion cylinder for my Uberti 1858 New Model Army. After some swearing I figured out the trick to getting it in. Once it's in,  it locks up tighter than a bank vault. Dummy 45 Colt rounds chamber perfectly.
Attachment Attached File

It does take a shorter COAL.
Attachment Attached File

I have a few more tools en route for reloading this caliber, and loading this with the Holy Black as well. Fun times!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.  Waaaay back in college (90s) the dad of one of my friends did one of those himself.  He was a former Green Beret and was always tinkering with guns.  He had a small machine shop and did all kinds of stuff with guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean your nasty keyboard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Element94:
View Quote

Blow me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Howell conversion cylinders for all my cap and ball revolvers. (Inside the plastic canisters)
Unfortunately, I have to run all my 45 Colt factory ammo on a belt grinder to make them short enough to chamber correctly.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#5]
Very nice collection, sir.
I had heard that all BP revolver cylinders are shorter than a 45 Colt cylinder, and that was why some people use 45 Schofield instead. The dummies I show are loaded with the Lee 255gr cast seated at the crimp groove, and it seems to be the correct length, but a wee bit shorter than the called-for COAL. With lighter "Cowboy" loads or black powder loads, I expect that shouldn't be a major issue. I could use Schofield, but I just started with this caliber, don't want to expand out again just yet!
I see that none of the firing pins have springs in them - normal?
On the side, for grins and giggles I looked up the Kirst Konverter setup perhaps for my Uberti 1860. Not cheap, but sure looks good, especially set up with ejector and cut out.
If you are loading BP cartridges, what lube do you use for the bullets and how applied? I was going to simply powdercoat, but was told that won't work well with black powder.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I don’t load black powder cartridges.
When using BP, I love the experience of loading loose powder, placing the lubed wad, and levering in the lead ball into each cylinder chamber.
It is cathartic for me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Howell or two. And an open top with a conversion similar to the Richard’s Mason.
But my bucket list is a Kirst or several. Just can’t figure out which to do. OP, does the trigger guard bite you on the 58? Everyone of mine does.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:42:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#8]
No, as a matter of fact the Remington frames seems to fit me better than many of the Colt Army or Navy grips. That's why the only gun really on my wish list right now is a Taylor/Uberti Remington 1875 in 45 Colt.
My sizing die is taking forever to get here, got it from Titan Reloading, an outfit I had never heard of before but my gunsmith buddy LAGS has dealt with many times.
I looked at the Kirst Konverter after I got the Howell, and I have to say, very nice with the add on ejectors etc., but the price tag is nuts. To convert my 1860 to the Kirst with ejector came out to just under $500, and I can get a new strong revolver for about the same that can handle all 45 Colt ammo, not just Cowboy/Black Powder. On the other hand, a Konverted 1860 WOULD be cool as all get out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:
I don’t load black powder cartridges.
When using BP, I love the experience of loading loose powder, placing the lubed wad, and levering in the lead ball into each cylinder chamber.
It is cathartic for me.
View Quote

I've done that for years.

I've also done paper cartridges as well, just for grins and giggle. They worked very well in the New Model Army.

I'm just wanting to try something different, that's all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
So here is what I did, in pictures.
I didn't have a cookie cutter for the BP lube, so boolits were dipped, then sized with a Lee push through sizer. Lube is a beeswax/olive oil/something I can't remember lube I used with paper cartridges, so I know it works OK in black powder.
Yes, that is a cat food can full of lube. That is my hot plate I use to warm up molds.

They look goofy.

I also powdercoated and sized other boolits for smokeless loading.

Dipped boolits sized - what a mess. However, it looks like they got the grooves lubed.

First ever BP cartridges loaded. I loaded 10 total, 5 with 29, 5 with 29.5gr Olde Eynsford 3F.

Perfect fit.

Shorter COAL for a shorter cylinder

And at the end of all this, I looked at the other mold my buddy sent to try - THAT looks like a black powder lube groove! Gonna cast some of them up this weekend, I guess.

Now off to the range ASAP.

Critique away.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you going to chronograph them?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By armoredman:  And at the end of all this, I looked at the other mold my buddy sent to try - THAT looks like a black powder lube groove! Gonna cast some of them up this weekend, I guess.

https://i.imgur.com/xP3v9V6.jpg

Now off to the range ASAP.

Critique away.
View Quote

Will .452" seal properly in a .455" bore?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:07:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#13]
Originally Posted By armoredman:

Blow me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Originally Posted By Element94:

Blow me.
Yes, it needs a leaf blower.  

I see Howell makes a Uberti .45ACP that is out of stock.  I put myself on the list.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
So I was impressed and not impressed.

We start with smokeless, because that really was the original purpose of the conversion cylinder to begin with. Also remember, these are literally the very first 45 Colt loads I have ever done, so I am starting with a clean slate.

No issues with loading/unloading, everything worked perfectly.

I realized from the first loads I was aiming to high - these revolvers were generally supposed to be shot at 50-75 yards, at a man on horse. But when I got my POA/POI aligned, well, not too shabby, I don't think. Of course, every single person on Arf can shoot rings around me, all day and twice on Sunday, but this is a good start for me.

Then I switched to black powder 45 Colt. That was...different.

First, I doubt that was enough lube on that bullet, shit started gumming up after the first cylinder full. Group was not impressive.

The second group, shot by my son, was even worse, with one obvious keyhole. I think the lube wasn't close to being enough and it showed. However, I did get this photo.

That's 29.5 grains of Olde Eynsford 3F.

I am good with the conversion cylinder, it worked perfectly, did everything I was supposed to do.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:
Are you going to chronograph them?
View Quote

I considered it, but I want to find a load that works first. Maybe if the other bullet style I have available works better with black, maybe I will.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Will .452" seal properly in a .455" bore?
View Quote

I use a .454 sized ball when loading black, and it shaves a nice ring, so I think, based on what I saw, that the bullets are close enough to the same diameter to work. If the conversion cylinder was known to shoot nothing but inaccurate softballs, I think I would have found that in all the web searching I did for reviews and such.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]
@armoredman
You should see if it’s possible to search “GUNS” magazine archives for John Taffin’s past articles.

I’ve been a subscriber for years and Taffin writes about black powder loads in sixguns every month.

Load development, different powders, pistol brands, conversions, etc.

Always my favorite read.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting, thank you for the tip, much appreciated. I am just about to go start up the lead pot to cast some better bullets.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I think these will do better, softer lead, giant lube groove. 200gr.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#20]
So we tried the Howell with some new loads, but since the sticks broke on my paper target holder, all I had was steel, and I don't like steel any closer than 25 yards with handguns. Nice thing - nobody else was out there, which is REALLY rare! These loads are all the Lee cast 200 gr bullet cast of recovered range lead, powder coated, over smokeless powder - I don't have my lube cutter quite yet, (from a HECKUVA nice buddy), so I won't be doing any black powder loads.

And we're off to the races! Target is an AR500 3/4 scale IDPA, and yes, it's been around for a while. This is the last time we see this revolver all nice and shiny.

Hold at the top of the orange aiming point, and this was from a braced bench position. Not bad.

10 rounds, missed a couple.

Now this fell out when I unloaded the conversion cylinder on these round, which, BTW, needed a punch to get all the brass out. This seemed like a pretty substantial chunk of lead, but it never happened again, and I found no evidence of any side spitting.

Onward, Accurate Number 2, a powder I use a LOT with 9mm and 38 Special. Notice how dirty the Ramshot ZIP is.

Oh my. I like this.

Yes, liking this. Long distance picture, other people showed up on the firing line.

I think I have found a direction to go with this. The conversion cylinder worked perfectly. Funny thing is, I swore that diva of a revolver complained at cleaning time, "I am supposed to have a hot bath, WITH BUBBLES!" Sorry, Princess, you are a smokeless revolver now, you get cleaned like the big boys.
I think these 200 grainers are a real winner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#21]
I we finally got back to black powder cartridges once all the stars aligned.

The "cookie cutter" I mentioned earlier.

The Bore Butter turned out to be bad, had to throw it out.
'

Started with a center target hold, saw the first two impact, switched to a 6 o'clock hold - quite nice. Gonna make some more of these.

Cleaning was not fun, but it never is. On to the next step.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top