Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2024 9:08:04 AM EDT
Years back I did a form 1 build using an SDTA threaded adapter to a Griffin taper lock end cap.  Seems that those two don’t want to stay tight.  Every time I go to remove the can the Griffin adapter stays on the barrel then I have to remove it and screw it back on to the can.  
What is the best thread locker to use on a silencer that gets as hot as they do?  If I use a little red loctite, will it last or burn up the first time I use it again?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Green loctite is what you seek. It will still come loose but will take longer and more rds down range. Heat is the loctite killer. Don't over heat it and it will last longer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:54:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#2]
This is exactly what Rockset was made for. Working temp >2000F
<500F will degrade Loctite 294 (green)
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
This is exactly what Rockset was made for. Working temp >2000F
<500F will degrade Loctite 294 (green)
View Quote
This.  I have went through this first hand and Loctite will melt like butter on a can.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gotterdammerung:
ST-3A thread sealant
View Quote

Max working temp = 400F
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I always start with blue and work my way up, if loctite won't get the job done then move to rockset.

Even though the heat will breakdown the loctite, there is usually enough resistance to allow the barrel thread to break free first which still counts as success in my book.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Rockset ordered.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top