Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2024 1:13:41 PM EDT
Hello all,

So I have an old 1911 that I’ve inherited from my Dad.. nothing special it just a basic Springfield 1911A1 Milspec.
It has been sitting in the safe since my Dad passed away but I’d like to give it a new life.

I was thinking about having the slide machined for better sights and maybe cut for a RDS. The frame may be modified slightly as well. Nothing too extreme anyway.

How should it be refinished?
I’m a total noob as far as Cerakote (that’s what the shop that would do the machining suggested)… none of my guns is cerakoted.. I’m a true parkerized fanboy.
How durable is it?

If cerakote is the way I’m open to ideas as well.. feel free to post pics.
My idea would be something like grey slide & od or some shade of bronze for the frame… leaving the original barrel SS

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Cerakote is a spray-on paint if you will.  Parkerizing chemically changes the surface of the metal.  If you want a color that isn't blue or gray, then Cerakote is the answer.  Parkerizing would be the more traditional choice and likely cheaper.  Cerakoted surfaces are not prone to rust so that's an advantage.  Both are durable if properly cared for and cleaned as needed.  I've had pistols with both finishes and holster wear seems similar.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Speaking finish types only, Cerakote is great for 1911's as it doesn't add a lot dimension--it's very thin. Parking is going to be a little thicker, so consider that if you have tight tolerances.

Speaking on value, I would recommend you keep the original finish and leave the gun stock. It may be "nothing special" today, but that can change in the years to come. Admittedly I'm no expert on 1911's, nor specifically Springfield 1911's, but I do know that over time the desirability of a particular date range, or serial range, can sometime go higher than one might ever imagine. A Cerakote job, or even a re-do of the same original finish type will destroy a gun's value if it would have been considered collectible in original condition--worn or not.

But really beyond that financial value, I personally would find sentimental value in keeping it like your old man had it. How cool would it be to find a photo of him holding that same gun, and you have it preserved in the condition he left it? If it really is "nothing special" in terms of financial value, what's the harm in buying an inexpensive 1911 like a Tisas (surprisingly good quality for the money) and building it up as you would like to with the Springfield? That way, you can enjoy the 1911 setup that you "want" while keeping the old man's 1911 in it's original condition.

Your gun, this is just my opinion, but I'd keep it original. If you do cut into it, and refinish, Cerakote is a great product for 1911's due to it's properties.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Deep rust blue.  

If you're considering Cerakote, look at Duracoat as well, it's a spray on epoxy finish that you can do at home.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ankratz:
Speaking finish types only, Cerakote is great for 1911's as it doesn't add a lot dimension--it's very thin. Parking is going to be a little thicker, so consider that if you have tight tolerances.

Speaking on value, I would recommend you keep the original finish and leave the gun stock. It may be "nothing special" today, but that can change in the years to come. Admittedly I'm no expert on 1911's, nor specifically Springfield 1911's, but I do know that over time the desirability of a particular date range, or serial range, can sometime go higher than one might ever imagine. A Cerakote job, or even a re-do of the same original finish type will destroy a gun's value if it would have been considered collectible in original condition--worn or not.

But really beyond that financial value, I personally would find sentimental value in keeping it like your old man had it. How cool would it be to find a photo of him holding that same gun, and you have it preserved in the condition he left it? If it really is "nothing special" in terms of financial value, what's the harm in buying an inexpensive 1911 like a Tisas (surprisingly good quality for the money) and building it up as you would like to with the Springfield? That way, you can enjoy the 1911 setup that you "want" while keeping the old man's 1911 in it's original condition.

Your gun, this is just my opinion, but I'd keep it original. If you do cut into it, and refinish, Cerakote is a great product for 1911's due to it's properties.
View Quote

Thanks

As for the sentimental value you raised some good points…
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ceracote is a decent product and has some use on firearms but to me it is not a cure all for all finish problems.

On really horrible condition firearms that you want to put back into some type of useable condition it can be a great choice.

Success is of course somewhat dependent on surface prep and skill of the guy doing the application .

Also consider that once you go that route you pretty much have a coated gun with no good way to go back to what you had before you started .

My thought is when you buy , are gifted or dig up some rough condition firearm you pretty much have what you have . No type of restoration ,refinish , reblue
or coating will be worth the cost . Lower end coatings and refinish jobs will somewhere down the road look like crap or have function problems . High end refinish and restoration projects cost so dearly that they never reach a break even on the guns value.

If you desire a new , minty looking firearm just buy what you desire.

About the only time a restoration level blue job makes sense is if the firearm has sentimental value and the owner wants great grandpa's gun to look like it did whrn he bought it.

My thoughts are mine , you do you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top