Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/5/2023 7:14:06 PM EDT
They’re coming, Tommybuilt says price should be around 3K, with a release in about 2 months and a sign up list going up in about a month/end of this month.

Initial 500 will be in 4.6x30 with 5.7x28 coming later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
So in
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
In….
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Want
Hard to justify at that price and limited spicy ammo selections
But still want
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Still wondering why HK didn't license an Umafex based 22LR clone of this like others.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in on a 5.7 if it works.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
As an owner of another of his builds, my body is ready.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m in for a 5.7
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BadRREngineer] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Where was this announced?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure, why not
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Recently picked up a FN PS90 for my PDW caliber needs but good to finally hear some information about MP7 clones.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah I'm in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#13]
They will go quick if that number is accurate

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 670:
View Quote

Went to hkpro to check and apparently it’s from a facebook post from yesterday.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:17:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aphex] [#15]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:

Went to hkpro to check and apparently it’s from a facebook post from yesterday.

View Quote

TommyBuilt's FB story about it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 670:
View Quote

Facebook.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Intriguing.  

The 5.7 flavor sounds most compelling since I’m already deeply invested but I’m not opposed to 4.6.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#19]
God I don’t need one of these. But the kid in me says get one in the original caliber because I love punishing myself.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By home_alone1:
God I don’t need one of these. But the kid in me says get one in the original caliber because I love punishing myself.
View Quote

Only way Id do it

Its a bragging rights gun anyways
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#21]
Looks neat but at that price,, I don't think my wallet can handle it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Are the polymer pieces 3D printed or injection molded?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Are the polymer pieces 3D printed or injection molded?
View Quote

I’m sure they’ll be injection molded like his TMP and TG36. I believe he has Choate mold them for him.

Interesting to note, that he doesn’t say he’ll make a full 5.7, just that he will have barrels and mags. So guess I’ll have to buy a 4.6 and convert it to 5.7
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By patw:
Looks neat but at that price,, I don't think my wallet can handle it.
View Quote

Had I known it was going to come out this soon, I wouldn’t have bought an SP5L and SP5k last month.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I am definitely in for one.  $3K for a small volume production and ground up reverse engineer firearm seems pretty reasonable to me.  I would maybe start to balk at $5K but $3Kish I am all in.

I really like the FN 5.7 conversion aspect as well.  I would want one in the OG HK 4.6 caliber (just to have) but to actually shoot it I would rather stick with 5.7 as I have other guns in that caliber already so could share ammo stash between them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kaotic504:
I’m sure they’ll be injection molded like his TMP and TG36. I believe he has Choate mold them for him.
View Quote

I hope so.

The few already released that were made from HK parts kits looked 3D printed to me. As are some of the other parts, for example the MP7 style handguards, on his site.

$3k and all injection molded, sure. $3k and all 3D printed, nope!
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kaotic504:

Interesting to note, that he doesn’t say he’ll make a full 5.7, just that he will have barrels and mags. So guess I’ll have to buy a 4.6 and convert it to 5.7
View Quote

Is it Choate or Bailey? I was under the impression Bailey was doing them for him.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jbntex:
I am definitely in for one.  $3K for a small volume production and ground up reverse engineer firearm seems pretty reasonable to me.  I would maybe start to balk at $5K but $3Kish I am all in.

I really like the FN 5.7 conversion aspect as well.  I would want one in the OG HK 4.6 caliber (just to have) but to actually shoot it I would rather stick with 5.7 as I have other guns in that caliber already so could share ammo stash between them.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Is it Choate or Bailey? I was under the impression Bailey was doing them for him.
View Quote

For the TG36, I’m pretty confident it’s Choate. For the TMP, I’m not as sure. But I do have a Gideon Shadow and a TMP and they are slightly different.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#30]
My understanding is that Bailey makes the receiver molds, and sells them to other manufacturers. The manufacturers are then free to contract injection molding companies to manufacture the receivers on an FFL variance from the ATF.

But, I don't know anything and I'm probably wrong.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I am in for a 5.7mm.  Got some hot ammo to try in it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

I hope so.

The few already released that were made from HK parts kits looked 3D printed to me. As are some of the other parts, for example the MP7 style handguards, on his site.

$3k and all injection molded, sure. $3k and all 3D printed, nope!
View Quote

I would doubt he would do anything less than injection molded on a project this big.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought an MP5 UMP brace from Tom that was 3D printed. To his credit, he refunded me and was professional and responsive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By eodinert:
My understanding is that Bailey makes the receiver molds, and sells them to other manufacturers. The manufacturers are then free to contract injection molding companies to manufacture the receivers on an FFL variance from the ATF.

But, I don't know anything and I'm probably wrong.
View Quote

If it helps your understanding, Bailey doesn't have anything to do with the T7P whatsoever.  Regarding the TG36 and the TMP, Bailey doesn't really make those molds either unless you count paying for the molds as making them.  He simply owns those molds and the rest is as you outlined.  Choate is not running the T7P, a different mold shop is running them on a variance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm confused because I see both preorder and buy list, I don't mind plunking down the cash for an MP7 clone, but I'd prefer not to drop the cash and wait 6 months for it, I'd rather pay when the product is ready to ship.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#39]
I don’t get the complaining. No one is forcing anyone to preorder, all it does it guarantee you you’ll be first in line for a product that will be sold out for likely a while, even at $3500 apiece.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#40]
As an 07/02, this leaves me with ideas and questions....
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Okay…so as I understand it the original patents have run out for the Mp7 making them fair game for clones to be made. My question is how come a small outfit is the one bringing these to market and not a bigger company with some manufacturing expertise and money behind them? Not knocking the guy for doing this but just wondering why Brownell’s or PSA or someone like that isn’t in on this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BoSanders:
Okay…so as I understand it the original patents have run out for the Mp7 making them fair game for clones to be made. My question is how come a small outfit is the one bringing these to market and not a bigger company with some manufacturing expertise and money behind them? Not knocking the guy for doing this but just wondering why Brownell’s or PSA or someone like that isn’t in on this.
View Quote

Presumably for the same reason nobody's been making P90 clones for the last 13 years…not enough market demand to offset the cost for a major outfit. A boutique like TommyBuilt has less overhead and is already established with the niche/collector market anyway, so it makes a little more financial sense for him to attempt this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rudderbutter:

Presumably for the same reason nobody's been making P90 clones for the last 13 years…not enough market demand to offset the cost for a major outfit. A boutique like TommyBuilt has less overhead and is already established with the niche/collector market anyway, so it makes a little more financial sense for him to attempt this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoSanders:

Nobody makes P90 clones because FN makes the PS90. All the AUG clones died once Steyr started selling it again too. HK on the other hand has a history of not being aggressive in pursuing the US commercial market, he's betting on there never being a SP7 in the US. I'd say it's a safe bet, it took them 25 years to bring the MP5 back to the US commercial market despite incredible demand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rudderbutter] [#44]
Originally Posted By mak0:

Nobody makes P90 clones because FN makes the PS90. All the AUG clones died once Steyr started selling it again too. HK on the other hand has a history of not being aggressive in pursuing the US commercial market, he's betting on there never being a SP7 in the US. I'd say it's a safe bet, it took them 25 years to bring the MP5 back to the US commercial market despite incredible demand.
View Quote

So nobody makes M16/M4 clones because Colt makes the 6700 and 6920?

ETA: HK gets a lot of flak for things that are actually due to the import laws of the US and the export laws of Germany. This is a good example:

HK94 disappeared because of an import ban in 1989.

SP5 showed up because the rules changed, and rather than an "assault weapon", they were able to import a "pistol" that made enough points in the right places.

The reason we don't get "polite" versions of guns like the UMP and MP7 directly from HK is because they're legally prohibited from doing so by German export laws, not because HK doesn't like making money from the US commercial market.

If there was mass-market demand for a P90 or MP7 clone, there would be one. This is a niche gun for a niche audience.

I'm definitely getting one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
I don’t get the complaining. No one is forcing anyone to preorder, all it does it guarantee you you’ll be first in line for a product that will be sold out for likely a while, even at $3500 apiece.
View Quote

The problem in the past with full cost pre order is when you get burnt you get burned hard.   Tommy has enough business that things would have to go very wrong for that to happen but crazier things have happened in the past.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#46]

HK94 disappeared because of an import ban in 1989.

SP5 showed up because the rules changed, and rather than an "assault weapon", they were able to import a "pistol" that made enough points in the right places.
View Quote

The rules didn't change. When the 94 was banned there was no reason to import guns like that as a pistol because you could import them as a rifle.  Once they were banned, some clever folks looked at the rules and realized that some things could be imported as pistols.  Everyone besides HK did it for many years, and HK finally hopped on the bandwagon with the SP5.

HK gets crap because companies like FN import everything in their lineup to the US, rendering the 'US import law' excuse moot.  Other euro manufacturers do the same.  However, HKs lack of interest in updating guns they already are able to sell (A1 versions of MR556 vs A5 version the rest of the world gets) suggest that yes, they could sell an A5, but no, they don't give a fuck.

HK has a manufacturing facility in the US.  German export laws would not apply, but HK knows the customers will simp for them and blame obscure 'import and export' laws, and the German government.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By kells81:

The problem in the past with full cost pre order is when you get burnt you get burned hard.   Tommy has enough business that things would have to go very wrong for that to happen but crazier things have happened in the past.  

View Quote

I understand that. Especially with a startup or company that’s never delivered a product before. TBT has a track record of bringing these unusual guns to market and he’s posted enough pics of mass produced parts that there should be ample confidence in the product being delivered.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Any update?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm climbing the walls here waiting for the buy list/pre-order to open up. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas break to start.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top