Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2023 1:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ggllggll]
OK so I've had this M82 for 2 years and it's finally time to shoot it.  It's been sitting on a shelf in my gun room getting covered in dust, I'm sick of just ogling over it.

Here's what I got, help me get ready...

M82a1 with the long barrel
Nightforce atacr 5x25-56
Badger C1 one piece mount

Here's my questions:

What should I torque the mount to on the scope tube?  They're finger tight at the moment. They look like #10 machine screws with torx heads.

What should I torque the mount to the rail? Again finger tight, and they have something like 1/4 inch fine thread nuts.

Where do I start off with eye relief?  It seems right where I have it now but just asking in case there's something I'm unaware of here...I don't want a broken nose.

I've heard that the upper can be zeroed by looking through the bore and then lining the cross hairs up to the mark, at least to get me on paper for the first shot. Without a bore sight, is this correct.

My backstop is a legit shooting birm at a nice range, but it's only 200 yards long or so.  I'm hoping I can zero it at this close range??

What tools should I bring with me if any?

My ammo is cbc 655gr ball

I also got a lapual 338 magnum for Christmas that I will bring as well.  Figured I might as well get both out for some fun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Using some blue loctite, I'd torque everything to whatever value google says for that size fastener. I set my eye relief like a normal rifle on my 107, maybe erring with my eye a little further away than comfortable when the stock is pulled in tight.

Other than making sure your stuff is tight, I don't think you'll need any tools. I sighted mine in using the method you mentioned at 200 yards.

Have fun! It's a pain to get out but every time I do, I am glad I did.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Bring two sets of ear pro that can be worn together. I use the soft foam inserts and a set of hard muffs.

I'd google the manufacturer of the scope mount along with the word "torque spec" to get the correct torque setting. For example, Barrett Zero Gap calls for 35 inch pounds.

I bore sighted my scope in the manner you described.

Zero it a 100 yards first. If this is your first time shooting it you don't want to make it any harder than it has to be. Actually, zero it at 50 yards first.

The holes are easy to see so you can probably leave the spotting scope at home.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
So we had a blast.  We fired 24 rounds with the first round hitting the 55 gallon drum on the first shot.

Our zero was set at 200 yards.  So all good.  That thing legitimately sounds like thunder ⛈️ hah

OK so question...

I has a belt of ball and tracer.  We shot 20 ball, and 4 tracers.  Only one tracer actually lit up though.

Do they have a minimum distance?  At 200 yards maybe we were too close?

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ggllggll] [#4]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience has been the same. 300yards will do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Tracer will usually light off at about 75 yds or so.

At the Knob Creek shoots, it was common to see .50 tracer ricochet back from hard targets up to 300 yds away.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top