Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2024 11:19:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hueto]
I’m hoping someone has some ideas on an issue I discovered on a 1963 vintage Marlin 336 in 30-30. At half cock, the hammer will fall with a trigger pull.

I took it apart expecting to see a broken tooth, but everything looks newish. My dad bought this in the early 70s and fired it maybe once. No idea how many rounds it has on it, but the bolt looks damn near new. I recently dug it out of the safe for my son to use.

After getting it apart and seeing how it works, I can engage half cock if I push the trigger forward while letting the hammer down. If I don’t, it ends up like the picture below.

I’ve tried to get into half cock in every combo…from hammer down to half cock, from cocked back to half cock, etc.

Weak trigger spring? I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find anyone else with the same problem. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#1]
The easiest and cheapest place to start is check for any crud buildup that could be binding the trigger from resetting. Soak it overnight in light penetrating oil, then flush with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Could be a bit of debris between the trigger and hammer keeping the trigger from swinging fully forward.

A new trigger spring would be next if the cleaning doesn’t help.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wmagrush:
The easiest and cheapest place to start is check for any crud buildup that could be binding the trigger from resetting. Soak it overnight in light penetrating oil, then flush with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Could be a bit of debris between the trigger and hammer keeping the trigger from swinging fully forward.

A new trigger spring would be next if the cleaning doesn’t help.
View Quote

Thanks. Just it did have 40 years worth of crud inside the receiver, but after a detail strip, it's still doing it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any burr between the contact points when in half cock?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top