Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 5:43:59 PM EDT
So, to make long story short, I have a gas block that is supposed to be 0.625", and a barrel with a journal size that is supposed to be 0.625". Just ordered a new set of calipers to get the most accurate reading, but I'm suspecting that my barrel is a tad bit out of spec, and may be a bit more than 0.625". It's definitely pencil-profile in tapering, a 0.750" block just slides right over.

How can I best turn down the journal of the barrel (recall that this is a pencil-profiled barrel, and as such I only need to work with that 1.5-2" of length along the journal) so that the block slides over freely? Can I take an end mill on a hand drill and just ream out a slab of material directly opposite where the gas port is?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely not.  Don’t do anything with an end mill in a hand drill.  Take a 6” piece of 1/2” dowel with a cut lengthwise about 1”.  Then cut a piece of sandpaper about 6” long by 1.5” wide and fold it lengthwise. Put the sandpaper in the slit in the dowel and chuck it up in your drill.  Now run that back and fourth through the gas block until it starts to seat on the barrel journal.  Once you’re confident it will fit, heat the gas block up to 200ish degrees and it should freely seat on the barrel.  Before it cools back off make sure everything is indexed properly.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coolmoney:
Definitely not.  Don’t do anything with an end mill in a hand drill.  Take a 6” piece of 1/2” dowel with a cut lengthwise about 1”.  Then cut a piece of sandpaper about 6” long by 1.5” wide and fold it lengthwise. Put the sandpaper in the slit in the dowel and chuck it up in your drill.  Now run that back and fourth through the gas block until it starts to seat on the barrel journal.  Once you’re confident it will fit, heat the gas block up to 200ish degrees and it should freely seat on the barrel.  Before it cools back off make sure everything is indexed properly.
View Quote

@Coolmoney

Thank you for the advisement, helpful suggestion; just since I'm having a bit trouble understanding the orientation of how to insert the sand paper onto the dowel you described, can you provide a bit more elaboration using the numbered sketch I tried to put together?

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Cut a slit in the end of the dowel. Cut a strip of wet or dry paper about  6” long and as wide as the slot. Fold it in half so it is 3” long.
Slide it into the slot so equal amounts are protruding on either side of the dowel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hockeysew:
Cut a slit in the end of the dowel. Cut a strip of wet or dry paper about  6" long and as wide as the slot. Fold it in half so it is 3" long.
Slide it into the slot so equal amounts are protruding on either side of the dowel.
View Quote
or if you're not understanding the homemade sander instructions, just go to local hardware store and buy a 1/2" drill-mounted sanding drum on a mandrel.
Amazon Product
  • [Package Includes]: 1/2" x 1/2", 25pcs x 60 Grit Sanding Sleeves, 25pcs x 120 Grit Sanding Sleeves, 25pcs x 240 Grit Sanding Sleeves, 25pcs x 400 Grit Sanding Sleeves, and 2pcs x Drum Mandrels.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Good practice is to work on the cheapest part. In this case, that's probably the gas block. Once they're mated, they're not likely to separated until the barrel is toast. If this was an out-of-spec receiver that didn't work with good magazines, that would be a different story.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coolmoney] [#6]
Let me sketch it up for you.  The reason I don’t suggest using a dremel with a sanding drum is because it will be tough to maintain concentricity.  With the dowel method it will stay pretty concentric while allowing you to only remove a couple thousandths at a time.

Not sure if I’m able to post pictures but if you google or YouTube search “slotted split mandrel” or slotted sanding mandrel you will likely find better details than I can sketch anyway.  You will see jewelers use them a lot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top