Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2024 4:26:56 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I’m an home based FFL doing lots of transfers (incoming shipped to). My question is actually shipping out with USPS. I’ve had no less the 25 emails and phone calls and no one can definitively give me in writing the exact process. Yes I’ve been to the actual post office, have spoken with the post master and head person at the local office. The head person at the p/o said one of the other ffl they deal with here locally has them picked up. So my issue is, if I box a handgun setup postage and what not in priority mail, it’s legal and no ammo and am going to have the weapon picked up - if I fill out the 1508 form will the carrier sign the bottoms of it when they pick it up, will they scan it when picking it up, will they give me any type of receiptt that it’s been picked up? The phone rep I’ve been dealing with (and the only one that actually calls me back and has been great at trying to get me the info) says probably not but it falls on the integrity of the carrier to transport and bring it back to the post office. Just thinking how a lawyer would be should something happen or it go missing, “CAN U PROVE YOU GAVE THE CARRIER THE PACKAGE”? “Can u prove you signed the 1508 and gave it to the carrier”? As of now, other than maybe dropping it off at the post office itself the answer would be no.
I get ups and fedex weapons all the time, but usps seems to be the most common carrier bringing them in from other ffls for customers.
What do u guys do? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#1]
I take all outgoing handguns to the PO and hand them the form with the package.   What they do with the form is their business.    My PO stamps them and does "something" with them.   I've heard other POs just toss them.   Not my concern.

I don't know how pickups would work.   Surely you don't leave a gun out in your mailbox for pickup.   Does the carrier come to your door to get pickups?    If so, seems you'd just hand them the package and the form.   The carrier is as able to handle an outgoing gun package as they would be to handle an incoming one.   Again, what they do with the form once you hand it to them is not your problem.     Assuming you're using flat rate, as you should, you have tracking info available once it gets scanned.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
i take mine to the post office and hand the package over with the form. thankfully it is only 7 mins from my house.  
I have never received anything USPS.  all my deliveries have been fedex or ups.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chowser:
i take mine to the post office and hand the package over with the form.
View Quote

Same.

My letter carrier can also scan outbound packages
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pipeandwire:
Hey guys,

I’m an home based FFL doing lots of transfers (incoming shipped to). My question is actually shipping out with USPS. I’ve had no less the 25 emails and phone calls and no one can definitively give me in writing the exact process.
View Quote

Rifles and shotguns: Print label, tape up box, drop off at any post office.
Handguns and other concealable firearms: Print label, tape up box, Fill out a USPS Form 1508, drop off box and 1508 at any post office.

Anything else isn't required by USPS regs.

Yes I’ve been to the actual post office, have spoken with the post master and head person at the local office. The head person at the p/o said one of the other ffl they deal with here locally has them picked up.
View Quote

You could too.

So my issue is, if I box a handgun setup postage and what not in priority mail, it’s legal and no ammo and am going to have the weapon picked up - if I fill out the 1508 form will the carrier sign the bottoms of it when they pick it up, will they scan it when picking it up, will they give me any type of receiptt that it’s been picked up?
View Quote

You don't keep the 1508, USPS does. No USPS reg requires you to have a copy. In fifteen years I've never had a receipt. Don't need one. I'm on camera when I drop off packages at the post office.

The phone rep I’ve been dealing with (and the only one that actually calls me back and has been great at trying to get me the info) says probably not but it falls on the integrity of the carrier to transport and bring it back to the post office. Just thinking how a lawyer would be should something happen or it go missing, “CAN U PROVE YOU GAVE THE CARRIER THE PACKAGE”? “Can u prove you signed the 1508 and gave it to the carrier”? As of now, other than maybe dropping it off at the post office itself the answer would be no.
View Quote

And???
You have a cell phone? Video him as he waddles away.

I get ups and fedex weapons all the time, but usps seems to be the most common carrier bringing them in from other ffls for customers.
What do u guys do? Thanks
View Quote

I don't worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Carriers don't carry postmark stamps so the form would be incomplete if you have them pick it up, not really a big deal. The big deal is the carrier understands the package is a firearm AND scans the the tracking barcode under "prepaid acceptance". A lot of carriers are hurried, don't bring their scanner in with them, etc. Make sure they properly scan the package.

Occasionally the wireless of the scanners does not upload and the tracking information won't be updated until they cradle the scanner at end of shift, so I'd make sure I see them scan it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:
Carriers don't carry postmark stamps so the form would be incomplete if you have them pick it up....
View Quote

All that USPS regs require is that the dealer or manufacturer submit the 1508. You could tape the Form 1508 to the side of the box and drop it off.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the input guys.. thank you very much.

The post office told me other ffl’s in the area have theirs picked up but she couldn’t tell me what the process was or what was happening with the 1508. One rep on the phone said it had to be picked up, so again I’m not getting the same information consistently and no one will put it in writing or in an email. I would say 50% of the transfers I do come in usps.
And those telling me to take it there, yes I get it but it adds another 45 minutes to an hour of my time. If a pickup is going to work legally it would profit me by not have to bring it in myself.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I take all outgoing handguns to the PO and hand them the form with the package.   What they do with the form is their business.    My PO stamps them and does "something" with them.   I've heard other POs just toss them.   Not my concern.

I don't know how pickups would work.   Surely you don't leave a gun out in your mailbox for pickup.   Does the carrier come to your door to get pickups?    If so, seems you'd just hand them the package and the form.   The carrier is as able to handle an outgoing gun package as they would be to handle an incoming one.   Again, what they do with the form once you hand it to them is not your problem.     Assuming you're using flat rate, as you should, you have tracking info available once it gets scanned.
View Quote

That’s one of my concerns as to whether or not it gets scanned as they pick it up or once it gets to the po. I want it scanned the minute it leaves my hands, and no I wouldn’t leave it on my porch.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
You have a cell phone? Video him as he waddles away.

I literally thought about saving the ring file until the receiving ffl gets it
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]

The post office told me other ffl’s in the area have theirs picked up but she couldn’t tell me what the process was
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The post office told me other ffl’s in the area have theirs picked up but she couldn’t tell me what the process was

Click on "Quick Tools", then "Schedule a Pickup"

or what was happening with the 1508.

What happens with the 1508 is not your concern. The form tells the postmaster to retain for one year.

One rep on the phone said it had to be picked up,

Have you read the USPS regs on mailing firearms?

so again I’m not getting the same information consistently and no one will put it in writing or in an email.

It IS in writing. Read the link above.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

All that USPS regs require is that the dealer or manufacturer submit the 1508. You could tape the Form 1508 to the side of the box and drop it off.
View Quote

THIS is what most shippers do. I pick up a lot of rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top