Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2023 9:21:42 PM EDT
I finally gave in to temptation and bought a new stainless mini 14 tactical this week. I’m weighing options for mounting a red dot. I really don’t want to use the supplied Pic rail mounted on top of the reciever to avoid any potential ejection interference. So, I’m considering either a Samson or Ultimak rail system. Is there any significant difference using a red dot forward on the gun as opposed to a “normal” mounting location ? I’ve never had a “Scout” mount and I’m a bit concerned about FOV or being slower to use in close quarters. Any advice would be appreciated.

KC
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By kc4sox:
I finally gave in to temptation and bought a new stainless mini 14 tactical this week. I'm weighing options for mounting a red dot. I really don't want to use the supplied Pic rail mounted on top of the reciever to avoid any potential ejection interference. So, I'm considering either a Samson or Ultimak rail system. Is there any significant difference using a red dot forward on the gun as opposed to a "normal" mounting location ? I've never had a "Scout" mount and I'm a bit concerned about FOV or being slower to use in close quarters. Any advice would be appreciated.

KC
View Quote
Posted an answer to your question on PU forum.  For specific Mini questions, such as this, suggest you go HERE
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Forward mounted red dot works great if you can shoot both eyes open.  Very quick, at least with an Ultimak.

Here's a bad picture:

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the forward mount for speed.  The FOV through a red dot I find less relevant and I find the view of the rifle itself helpful in quick sight alignment.  

With most red dots the glass isn't of the best clarity and I'd rather see most of the target area without a blue-tint

my only complaint with scout type rails is heat.  A lot of heat transfers to them and gloves are a huge asset after just a couple magazines.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:
I prefer the forward mount for speed.  The FOV through a red dot I find less relevant and I find the view of the rifle itself helpful in quick sight alignment.  

With most red dots the glass isn't of the best clarity and I'd rather see most of the target area without a blue-tint

my only complaint with scout type rails is heat.  A lot of heat transfers to them and gloves are a huge asset after just a couple magazines.
View Quote
As long as the amount of heat imparted to the "scout" type rail does NOT affect the electronics inside the rail-mounted optic, the rail absorbing a certain amount of heat and reducing barrel heat-up may be a positive feature.

It may be that users who switch to a smaller I.D. gas bushing in their Mini-14s may obtain some slight benefit as regards the amount of hot gasses (heat) injected into the gas block.  It has been noted that reducing the I.D. of the gas bushing causes the projectile to exit the barrel at slightly greater velocity.  The hot gasses thus forced out the end of the barrel are thus not available to heat up the gas block, rail, and so forth.

Some users have drilled small diameter holes down the centerline of the stock's fore end.  The theory is that these holes allow relatively cold air to enter the bottom of the fore-end, circulate around the inner metal heat shield, exit the top of the fore-end, and so provide a little additional barrel cooling.

I don't know of anyone who has done a before/after test concerning these features/mods, so (except for increased bullet velocity) the precise effects of these mods is guesswork for now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top