Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2024 10:18:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc]
Hello all. I am trying to determine what this rifle is worth. I am looking to buy it locally. What do you think the value is for a face to face transaction? Also is there anything about the rifle that is either highly desirable or a deal breaker (like a drilled and tapped receiver or other aftermarket mods that crushes the value)? Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't tell for sure, but looks the mum is ground. Not a deal breaker, but decreases value.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:38:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACDer:
Can't tell for sure, but looks the mum is ground. Not a deal breaker, but decreases value.
View Quote

I should have mentioned that. The crest has been ground off of the receiver. There are no markings left on the top of the receiver. The SN on the bolt body and bolt handle matches what is on the receiver.  The gun does not have the anti aircraft wings that extend outwards, off of the ladder sight.

Its difficult to say but the trigger guard either has some light oxidation/rust or was made with pot metal. There are a few other small areas of very light surface rust which should clean up easily.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:35:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: surplusnut] [#3]
It's a Toyo Kogyo (located in Hiroshima), it looks to be an early 33rd series rifle. The missing AA sights might just be correct, when they were transitioning to expedited manufacture and deleting features one of the first things to go was the AA sights. It appears completed and unmolested with the original Urishi finish on the stock.

ETA, as far as value goes that is up to you and I'm not up to speed on the rarity of Arisaka's and what prices they command but I would buy that at $500 to $600, mainly due to the Hiroshima connection.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#4]
Originally Posted By rssc:

I should have mentioned that. The crest has been ground off of the receiver. There are no markings left on the top of the receiver. The SN on the bolt body and bolt handle matches what is on the receiver.  The gun does not have the anti aircraft wings that extend outwards, off of the ladder sight.

Here are the markings on the side of the receiver.

Markings on side of receiver

Its difficult to say but the trigger guard either has some light oxidation/rust or was made with pot metal. There are a few other small areas of very light surface rust which should clean up easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rssc:
Originally Posted By ACDer:  Can't tell for sure, but looks the mum is ground. Not a deal breaker, but decreases value.

Here are the markings on the side of the receiver.

Markings on side of receiver

ETA:  Nvm, Google sucks as a photohost for ARF.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Once at a gun show I saw an arisaka with an intact mum.  Sadly it had been sporterized into a deer hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone for their feedback!
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:09:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#7]
Originally Posted By surplusnut:
It's a Toyo Kogyo (located in Hiroshima), it looks to be an early 33rd series rifle. The missing AA sights might just be correct, when they were transitioning to expedited manufacture and deleting features one of the first things to go was the AA sights. It appears completed and unmolested with the original Urishi finish on the stock.

ETA, as far as value goes that is up to you and I'm not up to speed on the rarity of Arisaka's and what prices they command but I would buy that at $500 to $600, mainly due to the Hiroshima connection.
View Quote

Great info. Thank you very much! I bought the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top