Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2024 10:06:56 PM EDT
Looking for your guys thoughts on the value of this.

Not mine, thinking about picking it up however.

Wilson Combat 870 14"
KAC RAS 870 $$$
Surefire M69 ?

What do feel is fair value for something like this? I know the KAC RAS is rare and therefore comes with a cost.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
People can sure mess up a classic shotgun .
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
HansVang porting on the barrel… someone spent some money.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
600....Not the value of the parts, but what value I place on the gun.  At the end of the day, it's a 14 inch 870 remey shotgun
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:58:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#4]
As you noted the KAC parts are worth some money because KAC. How much? Couldn’t tell you but since they are long out of production pieces, they could be worth a few hundred or maybe not. The gun itself is nice, money went into it for sure but WC tend to cost more for the name rather than the sum of its parts. That is money you just won’t get back out of it unless you find just the right buyer. Honestly if it were mine, I’d keep it. They just don’t make them like that anymore. The other option would be to toss it up on Gunbroker and see where it lands. I’d be surprised if you got more than $800 for it though. A few things I never liked about the WC guns is that they were built off express 870s. In later production that meant things like mim parts, and cheaper dog carrier follower springs. Their applied finish is okay but in my opinion it is closer to a duracoat rather than a Cerakote and they spray the entire gun, including the action bars. The set up looks great but for the original cost of that set up which was probably around $1,800-$2,000, it is a bit of a rip off. Especially now days when that kind of money puts you into something like a Beretta 1301, A300UP or a used Benelli M4 which is a whole other class of shotgun that is better in every measurable way over a pump action 870. The 870 is a great shotgun at $600. At $2,000 it is lipstick on a pig.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
JFC
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:
As you noted the KAC parts are worth some money because KAC. How much? Couldn’t tell you but since they are long out of production pieces, they could be worth a few hundred or maybe not. The gun itself is nice, money went into it for sure but WC tend to cost more for the name rather than the sum of its parts. That is money you just won’t get back out of it unless you find just the right buyer. Honestly if it were mine, I’d keep it. They just don’t make them like that anymore. The other option would be to toss it up on Gunbroker and see where it lands. I’d be surprised if you got more than $800 for it though. A few things I never liked about the WC guns is that they were built off express 870s. In later production that meant things like mim parts, and cheaper dog carrier follower springs. Their applied finish is okay but in my opinion it is closer to a duracoat rather than a Cerakote and they spray the entire gun, including the action bars. The set up looks great but for the original cost of that set up which was probably around $1,800-$2,000, it is a bit of a rip off. Especially now days when that kind of money puts you into something like a Beretta 1301, A300UP or a used Benelli M4 which is a whole other class of shotgun that is better in every measurable way over a pump action 870. The 870 is a great shotgun at $600. At $2,000 it is lipstick on a pig.
View Quote

This.

Back when 870's were 200 bucks used, doing this upgrade was "reasonably priced". Not so much today. For that money, I'd get a Benelli. Vang Comps are nice. Do they make a difference? I can see it, many don't. It's not magic. Those  ghostring sights were the bomb when they came out. Still are. all that other dot/rail? Into the parts box it'd go. The weight/bulk factor doesn't offset the utility factor. It's like a 1911 someone put a bunch of wingding crap on to make it a "competition" gun. Yeah, sure. No. You won't get your money out of that either.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MK318:
View Quote

Perfect. Appreciate the response, guess it ends up being more of a how much is this KAC part worth vs how much is the 870 worth. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
JFC
View Quote

@Phillbilly

Yes?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a nice shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
What's the asking price?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jwc179:
What's the asking price?
View Quote

Doesn't exist. Trying to figure it out.
Friends that I want to make a fair offer on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#12]
As is, I would not go over $1k.  I would sell off the rail and the optic.  In theory that would be $600 for the Remington?  Granted I don't know the value of the rail and optic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
The value on those guns was always weird to me. The cost of the Wilson built guns was at least 2-3 times the cost of the parts in them. They never made much sense to me. I do wish I'd sent one or two off for their full rebuild refinish though. It's truly one of those situations where they are worth what someone will pay for them and that varies wildly. We never had any problems selling their pistols and sold a few rifles as well but never really had much demand for the shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
The value on those guns was always weird to me. The cost of the Wilson built guns was at least 2-3 times the cost of the parts in them. They never made much sense to me. I do wish I'd sent one or two off for their full rebuild refinish though. It's truly one of those situations where they are worth what someone will pay for them and that varies wildly. We never had any problems selling their pistols and sold a few rifles as well but never really had much demand for the shotguns.
View Quote

The WC 870s were way over priced for what they were. Their use of Express 870s was a red flag to me because they did nothing to them internally. The 870 police models got the extra vibra honing and smoothing so their actions were noticeably better than the express models. You also got the mim and the cheaper/weaker springs with the express guns. So you were paying $2,000+ for Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech name on the side, $250 worth of parts and essentially a duracoat finish. They were still using cheap Tac star side saddles even though the rest of the industry had moved on to the more durable and better designed Mesa Tactical side saddle. Even trying to look at them objectively from a twenty years ago perspective, the price is ridiculous. I sent a few 870 police’s to Hans Vang back in the mid 2000s and got twice the gun for half the price, including the Vang Comp barrel treatment which actually improved the gun and wasn’t just a bolt part. The same name game grift still exists today though, look at the LTT 1301s. They are just factory Beretta 1301s with bolt on GG&G parts installed and sold at a premium. It wasn’t too long ago that there was a guy on a local board who was trying to sell an LTT 1301 for $5,000 because he said it was the last black one being offered by LTT. I don’t think anyone paid that price and it turned out to not be true anyways because just a few months later a new batch of LTT 1301s went out the door including black.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top