Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 2:28:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer]
Shot it this weekend, with a group who really enjoyed it.  Here's one of the 21 yr old French girls who never handled a gun before.  She loved this thing.  And her Glam-shots for taking home came out pretty F'ing great - so here you go! (should be COC compliant, but give a shout if not)

The BBL on this little 20" long SBR, is 13" long.

Here is the velocity and accuracy data at 15, 25, 50, 100 yards I got today with this 5.7 rimfire gun (which is also known as - .22LR ).  Remarkable how there's basically no velocity loss, even at just 13" of BBL.  Accuracy is decent, but eh, it's a bullpup with a heavy trigger and a red-dot.  Precision accuracy is not really this guns mission-statement.  More "can it hit the steel?" (and yes, yes it can).

Interesting to see with that much sight offset, in that form-factor, a 25 yard zero is basically also a 100 yard zero.  Impact is 3" high at 50 yards.  It'll hit a 4" gong at 100 yards pretty much every shot, so that's not bad.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:26:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#1]
You have my curiosity lazeyengineer.   Does the PS90 use a conversion bolt to shoot 22 LR (rimfire vs centerfire)?  Is there a 22 LR magazine you’re using?  My understanding is the 5.7x28 is a blowback in FN P90 and shoots .224 bullets so are you basically doing the same thing as using a 22 LR conversion in an AR-15 223/5.56?  I read the PS90 uses a 1:9 twist so sounds like the PS90 would be a candidate for a rimfire conversion.   I’ve seen where Ruger 10/22’s were modified to work in a bullpup stock.   This is the first I’ve heard of anyone shooting 22 LR in a PS90

I bet a PS90 would be a lot of fun and cheaper to shoot than 5.7x28.   I read anything over 16” barrel with 22 LR tends to reduce velocity.  I’m not surprised a 13” 22 LR barrel produces similar velocity to a 16” barrel.   I bet a full auto P90 in 22 LR would be fun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
You have my curiosity lazeyengineer.   Does the PS90 use a conversion bolt to shoot 22 LR (rimfire vs centerfire)?  Is there a 22 LR magazine you’re using?  My understanding is the 5.7x28 is a blowback in FN P90 and shoots .224 bullets so are you basically doing the same thing as using a 22 LR conversion in an AR-15 223/5.56?  I read the PS90 uses a 1:9 twist so sounds like the PS90 would be a candidate for a rimfire conversion.   I’ve seen where Ruger 10/22’s were modified to work in a bullpup stock.   This is the first I’ve heard of anyone shooting 22 LR in a PS90

I bet a PS90 would be a lot of fun and cheaper to shoot than 5.7x28.   I read anything over 16” barrel with 22 LR tends to reduce velocity.  I’m not surprised a 13” 22 LR barrel produces similar velocity to a 16” barrel.   I bet a full auto P90 in 22 LR would be fun.
View Quote

It's the Hightower stock over a 10/22 - it's just they did that good of a job, though I did tweak it to more closely match a P90.  Total blast.  Of all the guns with everyone I had for the weekend, this guy and the Stribog were the top favorites and just ran and ran all weekend.

BBL is simply an 18" factory cut down to 13" - with no velocity loss - which just blows my mind, and at first I spent 10 minutes thumping and looking at the settings on my Chrony - thinking it had gone haywire, after I SBR'd.

Obviously .22LR isn't the same power class as 5.7, but it's not as laughable as you might think. More of a toy than true PDW, but to be honest, if this is all you had as a PDW, it's not actually that bad.

FWIW - ProMag sucks, but their 32 round 10/22 mags are actually kind of great (once cycled a couple.times to break in) - at about $16/ mag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What tweaks did you do to match the looks of the PS90?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen the High Tower Armory conversions and they look really good.   I had a feeling you used a 10/22 from your title but chopping the barrel really makes your HTA look like a real PS90 in the picture.   I enjoy shooting steel plates in my back yard and shoot a lot of 22 LR in various pistols, rifles and carbines.   A 22 LR conversion kit would be pretty cool in my Tavor SAR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
That is awesome. I had no idea that product existed. My son has wanted a PS90 forever; this may be a viable alternative.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:02:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#6]
At the turn of the century (1905ish) it was common for boys rifles to have 12-14” barrels. Those I’ve seen that survived are non-SBR grandfathered C&R pieces.

One of my bitches about RUGER is their traditional-stupid 18” barrels on rimfire rifles.  It only helps with iron sight radius and does boost velocity a touch with hyper velocity ammo. But for threaded suppressor hosts shooting standard velocity for quiet the extra 2” above 16”  is dead weight and length.  

Were it not for the N F(udd) A we would see the market deliver rimfire rifles with 8-12” barrels. My suppressed 10/22 SBR is always a crowd pleaser with both new shooters and macho close-quarter-recoil fetishists.  Suppressed, short, semi-auto rimfire make great gateway guns.

That’s a fun looking conversion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#7]

Very fun little .22

I know all the cool kids run cans now - I'm in the small minority that values the smaller size rig of not running a can.  Tiny fun little guy that can just run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top