Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The lgs here has pallets of Winchester ammunition with each box marked with a warning sticker about unreliable go-bang rate.

Personally, I recently went to shoot my Benelli m2; something I rarely do.  Had it loaded with Winchester 00 buck...

The very first round failed to ignite.  Had a good firing pin indent.

Confidence in their products is now vy low.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one mag of mine loaded up and will give it a try by Saturday at the latest.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I went out to fire my first 30 today, turned out to be a mild load (new powder) but no issues so far.  I'll load up a bigger batch for this weekend.  My lot number is WLC23E002-732
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for this thread.

PV has a limit of 1 1000 box on CCI #41 and I put 5k Win #41 in the cart before I decided to research before I checked out. Saved me a ton of heartache.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:06:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetShooter2] [#5]
I picked up 3K of them to when they were @ $69.00 per K
I've loaded up 2K rounds for a PD hunt and so far shooting
around 200 or so of them so far they have been good to go
will keep a eye out ..

# WLC 23E002-727
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Shit gotta check mine I bought some 2-3 months back.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
Shit gotta check mine I bought some 2-3 months back.
View Quote

Same, will check them when I get home later today. I haven’t loaded/shot any yet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
I went out to fire my first 30 today, turned out to be a mild load (new powder) but no issues so far.  I'll load up a bigger batch for this weekend.  My lot number is WLC23E002-732
View Quote

I shot more of mine, but no apparent issues so far thankfully.

Has anyone had any issues with any that were not the specific lot number in the OP?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 or 4 different lot numbers, but have not had an opportunity to load up a test batch from each yet.  Still on the to do list.  

Did do a pretty thorough go thru of all my various Winchester primers to see if I had any others (older) that were known problem lots.  Think I came thru that looking OK if I recall correctly.  

Not a problem we should be forced to deal with though…
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 2grimjim:
About a month ago, I bought 2000 pcs of Winchester #41 primers from Cabellas. Loaded up a bunch of 5.56 and 300BO. 5 out of 50 pieces popped tiny pinholes on the edge of the primer and damaged the bolt faces on 2 rifles. These loads were NOT showing any signs of over pressure and were a standard load I've used many times before. The primers were still firm in the pockets and the pockets showed no signs of damage, and there was no sign of ejector wipe.

I spent about 30 minutes with my metallurgist friend (and firearms expert) on the phone and texting pics trying to daignose the issue and he was confident these failures were not from overpressure or any other defects, but most likely caused by improper annealing of the primer cups after stamping. These failures were NOT what you normally see from overpressure piercing at the center of the primer.

The lot number of the primers is WCL23F002-740

Images coming shortly.
View Quote

Went and checked the two I bought and sure enough they have the same exact lot #. I have yet to load/use any though.  Hesitant to use them in any rifle I care about.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tac556:
And similar thread from a different forum, the 4th post shows a Win #41 primer lot that had some similar burn thru issues as well, lot #
WLC23D002-725… (which is the same lot as some of mine.  Awesome…)

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/wlr-bad-lot-number.4120973/
View Quote

Crap... just went through my last order and it turns out I have 5k of this lot number. The remainder is WLC23D002-734

I have some of the xxx-725 loaded up for comparison with CCI400 primers I've been using for a particular load. Just need to get to the range now...
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Spudnick:
I bought 5k of these from Cabela's last summer, lot number on all are WLC23E002-732.

No issues in the couple hundred I've loaded and shot, but these reports make me want to sell them and replace with something different.

Or maybe I'll just reserve them for AR fodder since bolts are cheap and easy to replace.

Same with the 5k Winchester SPP I have... burn them through a 9mm AR or Glock.

I even knew in the past they've had issues and thought it was all resolved by now. No more Winchester for me.
View Quote

This is what I planned on using them for...

I've never identified an issue with Win primers up till now. Suppose I should buy a lotto ticket now....
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top