Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 12:04:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty]
I've never seen this happen, but during depriming (Lee universal decapping die) primers are breaking in half and getting stuck in the case.

Anyone know what's going on?

*Edit - these were not wet tumbled*

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]

yep

They got wet
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I always dry tumble before decap to avoid this. Moisture gets em stuck
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:31:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#4]
Yep, worst deal I ever got.  A buddy found a “deal” on .30 carbine that we split.  Stuff was washed with primers in which wasn’t disclosed.  The decapping pin would stab right through the primer as the skirts were bonded to the pockets.  Green nasty pockets.   It sucked!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Might try soaking the brass to see if it’s enough to free up the primers when decapping. Try a couple to begin with to see if it works or not…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
How many times has that case been reloaded?

I've never had any issues wet tumbling pistol brass, then progressively reloading later. I do take the extra step and dry them in the oven so they don't corrode.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By carcrazysammy:
How many times has that case been reloaded?

I've never had any issues wet tumbling pistol brass, then progressively reloading later. I do take the extra step and dry them in the oven so they don't corrode.
View Quote
My note says "twice fired"

These have not been wet tumbled....I use dry media.  They could have been cold/wet when they were collected.  They have been sitting in a bucket for about 2 years
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:  OP has found out why many of us decap before wet tumbling
View Quote

Is this why so many have a LEE APP, to use as a decapping station?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Correct.

In this thread we find out wet tumbling was not involved, but the storage method may have had an effect.

Fired primers and moisture can also cause corrosion causing the primers to not decap normally.
View Quote
I think it may be just a batch of bad ones.  It was going as normal, then ran into these..... hopefully I can get through this layer and back into the normal flow.

I'd guess around 100 cases so far.....

Anyways lesson learned that if I pickup wet range brass to process it right away.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The problem I have with the Lee decapping die is at times the primer will stick to the end of decap pin and get pulled back into the case when I'm processing brass on my Dillon Super 1050. Most of the time as soon as that case hits the swaging station I can feel the difference in handle pull. Anyone else has had this problem and is there a better repacement decap pin to use?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DDRanch:
The problem I have with the Lee decapping die is at times the primer will stick to the end of decap pin and get pulled back into the case when I'm processing brass on my Dillon Super 1050. Most of the time as soon as that case hits the swaging station I can feel the difference in handle pull. Anyone else has had this problem and is there a better repacement decap pin to use?
View Quote

Frakford Arsenal X-10 has 10 stations and uses one of them as a second decaping station for this reason. The next swages the primer pocket.

I have had it happen on a 650/750 a very few times. On large high pressure rifle cases. I have never had it happen on a DSB. I have not loaded 9mm or anything that might have a crimp on the primer though
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DDRanch:
View Quote
Please start a new thread.  I'm having some of the same issues....we will get more help there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:31:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#16]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
We're the cases ever cleaned with anything containing ammonia?  Anything else that promotes corrosion?

View Quote
I don't think so.....I bought a tub of once fired brass of about years ago and loaded it all.... and am now going through and getting ready to do it again.  

To my best recollection this batch I'm going through was shot, picked up and tossed into the twice fired bucket. I have t even cleaned these yet, so far I'm through about 5-7 gallons and have just hit this snag.  Not sure how many more I'll hit.....it's very possible It was rainy, snowy and cold when some of these shooting these and I just tossed them in that day.  Thinking about it, it's possible I picked up some range brass and tossed it into this pile.

I guess I got my answers (wet/moisture = corrosion) and will just have to move forward.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
Please start a new thread.  I'm having some of the same issues....we will get more help there.
View Quote

Possible solution….

https://www.mightyarmory.com/products/the-pua-decapping-die-for-lapua-brass
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top