Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2023 7:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kestrel452]
Hello. So, just as luck would have it, what I thought was the coolest camo pattern for the Browning BAR Mk 3 DBM was recently discontinued now that I finally was about to pull the trigger on buying one. Specifically their "ATACS LE" variant of the DBM, which is literally just a gray camo stock....but I'll be darned if it doesn't look awesome (at least to my eyes). And, they seem unobtanium at this point, and I'm wondering what the best option might be for finishing a standard all-black synthetic stock to get a similar look going.

What I cannot tell is how Browning got this pattern on it. It doesn't look that the plastic for the stock itself is somehow dyed, it looks like it might be a wrap of some kind, or maybe even Cerakote or some other spray on coating. Does anyone have any idea on: 1) what process it looks like Browning used, and 2) what *my* best option might be for finishing a standard black synthetic stock in a similar sort of soft-edged midnight camo? My thought on #2 is Cerakote...but open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Example photos:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/5212/986717054/wm_12814245.jpg
https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/5212/986717054/wm_12814246.jpg
https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/5212/986717054/wm_12814249.jpg
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would guess some kind of dye sublimation. The only way I could think to replicate it by hand would be an airbrush, maybe?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably hydro dipped.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:41:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#3]
Water Transfer

It’s not very durable but it’s cheap and easy.

ETA: Beat by less than 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Deet will ruin it....
If
Hydro dipped....

My knight is dipped.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Water Transfer

It’s not very durable but it’s cheap and easy.

ETA: Beat by less than 30 seconds.
View Quote

If this is really just a hydro dip....then it's probably better that I wasn't able to buy it. I would imagine that Cerakote would be a far more robust way to do it. Would Cerakote-H work on a synthetic stock like that? I could have sworn I read that it can be cured at a low enough temperature so as to be rubber and plastic-safe.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, ceracote can cure on it's own, it just takes a week or so.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 9:52:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#7]
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
You could get that pattern with some acrylic paint and a little practice.  You could sponge it, but I think a brush would get the pattern better.  Put a glob of paint and feather out with a brush.  Then spray it with a clear coat and it will hold up okay.  Even if it wears, the pattern will hold up.  The flakes may look like part of the pattern as well.

The background is the black color of the stock.  Either get some gray or black paint.  If you start with black paint, you can use it on your practice runs.  Paint on cardboard as will stay stiff on you.  Add titanium white (a very little at a time) to get to the next lighter shade.  A little more for the next, always start will less.  White will wash out your darks way too quickly.  

There is 3x colors on top of the black stock.  It looks like the same color, just lightened.  You can find Golden Acrylic paint at Michael's and only need 2x colors (gray or black and white).  There is cheaper craft acrylic paint at Walmart as well, but I don't think it'll hold up as well as Golden, which is a museum grade paint.  I do watercolor painting as hobby and absolutely could get that pattern with very little effort, but I have always painting and drawing in my blood since a little kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top