Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2023 3:42:45 PM EDT
https://www.beretta.com/en-us/product/a300-ultima-patrol-FA0007

I understand that this is an inertia driven instead of gas operated system and so will probably have more recoil than a Beretta 1301.  That aside, how well do these hold up to heavy use and and how reliable is the feeding?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:48:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xCLAYBUSTERx] [#1]
The A300 Patrol is a gas gun like all the other A300 models.

ETA: https://www.eurooptic.com/Beretta-A300-Ultima-Patrol-12ga-191-Bbl-Black-Synthetic-7-1-MC-IC-Semi-Auto-Shot.aspx

Features of the A300 Ultima Patrol:
Gas-operated action with compensating exhaust valve & self-cleaning piston
7-round extended magazine tube
Modular ghost ring rear sight & interchangeable front sight post
Oversized textured bolt release, charging handle, & safety button
Amplified checkering around the grip & fore-end
Receiver mounted MIL-STD Picatinny rail
M-LOK attachment points on the forend & barrel clamp
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
https://www.beretta.com/en-us/product/a300-ultima-patrol-FA0007

I understand that this is an inertia driven instead of gas operated system and so will probably have more recoil than a Beretta 1301.  That aside, how well do these hold up to heavy use and and how reliable is the feeding?
View Quote

Beretta doesn’t make inertia guns that I’m aware of.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xCLAYBUSTERx:
The A300 Patrol is a gas gun like all the other A300 models.

View Quote

This, it uses an older type of gas system design used in the classic model 391 shotgun, but modernized a bit.  The 1301 uses the newer BLINK gas system (same is used in the A400) with rotating bolt and a few other advancements.

But the system in the A300 is still an extremely reliable and robust design.  I own an A300 Outlander and a newer A300 Ultima, and they've been nothing but dead nuts reliable for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

Beretta doesn’t make inertia guns that I’m aware of.
View Quote

Technically they own Benelli so………

I think the 1201 was the last inertia shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO, the nice furniture/front sight features dont offset the chrome bolt/chamber, adjustable rear sight, single vs double action bars on the 1301.

I went 1301.  Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I understand how the OP's post count is so high.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:41:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunner76] [#8]
Originally Posted By V:
IMO, the nice furniture/front sight features dont offset the chrome bolt/chamber, adjustable rear sight, single vs double action bars on the 1301.

I went 1301.  Buy once, cry once.
View Quote

I'm leaning more that way. I had an A300 and while it was a nice gun I never really cared for the single action bar, just seemed like a way to cause binding. The non chrome lined barrel also made it a major PITA to clean the barrel(it fouled up bad)after a few boxes of slugs/buckshot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 5:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dubya3] [#9]
I have one and love it but mine has a issue with the finish bubbling up and flaking a little bit (all black model). Not terribly concerned though since I was planning on a M81 cerakote job anyway. The Beretta Pro Lifters were finally in stock again yesterday with 25% off for Black Friday so I ordered one but I think they sold out quickly afterwards.

The downsides to me are the fact it can't use M4/1301 front sights unless you buy a front sight nut and drill the FSB on the A300. Rear sight isn't adjustable and the barrel isn't chromed. The sights can be replaced and/or modified so not that big of a deal.

I handled a 1301 Tactical a couple months after I bought my A300UP and I have to admit I probably would have went with the 1301T if I had handled it first and knew about the small differences with the sights and the fact the 1301 can use a Magpul stock when the A300 cant. I don't regret buying the A300UP at all and I generally feel like it's the best bang for your buck tactical shotgun you can buy but if I did it again I'd own a 1301T (and probably will eventually)
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The A300UP uses Benelli M2 tactical front sights.

The 1301T is superior in every way. I thought the handguard and milled loading port were improvements but after using them I don't think either make a difference. I don't need to load a tactical shotgun on the clock and the handguard is poorly thought out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ian187:

The 1301T is superior in every way. I thought the handguard and milled loading port were improvements but after using them I don't think either make a difference. I don't need to load a tactical shotgun on the clock and the handguard is poorly thought out.
View Quote

It doesn't use M2 sights (as far as i know the M2 uses the same sights as all tactical Benellis). When I ordered a XS Big Dot for my A300UP it was one that fit Benelli M1/M2/M3/M4/SuperNova and Beretta 1301 Tactical. When I received it I knew instantly it was the wrong sight for the A300UP. I contacted XS and even they thought that sight fit the A300UP and were very easy to work with and refunded me quickly. Now I wish I had just kept it as it looks like I can simply drill out the front sight block, buy a 1301 front sight nut and install it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dubya3:

It doesn't use M2 sights (as far as i know the M2 uses the same sights as all tactical Benellis). When I ordered a XS Big Dot for my A300UP it was one that fit Benelli M1/M2/M3/M4/SuperNova and Beretta 1301 Tactical. When I received it I knew instantly it was the wrong sight for the A300UP. I contacted XS and even they thought that sight fit the A300UP and were very easy to work with and refunded me quickly. Now I wish I had just kept it as it looks like I can simply drill out the front sight block, buy a 1301 front sight nut and install it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dubya3:
Originally Posted By ian187:

It's this style: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/pmn301
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Great shotty.  Love mine Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#14]
The A300UP is a great gun but the 1301, especially used 1301s are so close to it in price that you’re better off getting the 1301.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I like mine. I only have 5-6 hundred rounds through it but it’s been solid.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one and sold it. It's not a bad shotgun, but it just feels like a poor man's 1301. And they're so close in price that I'd just spring for one of those. I'm not really a shotgun guy, but definitely want a solid semi auto. So once I get my bonus in early spring, I'm gonna get the 1301
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JJL0325:
I had one and sold it. It's not a bad shotgun, but it just feels like a poor man's 1301. And they're so close in price that I'd just spring for one of those. I'm not really a shotgun guy, but definitely want a solid semi auto. So once I get my bonus in early spring, I'm gonna get the 1301
View Quote

Agreed. I only have the A300UP but im not going to sell it, even when I buy a 1301T this coming year
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
A300's are great guns in general.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:09:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#19]
Not a Patrol model, but I took my new Beretta A300 Ultima 28" Max5 Camo to Canada late in the fall for a two week waterfowl hunt.  When I say new, I mean I bought it new and ran about 75 rounds through it before the trip. The weather ranged from 2F to about 50F.  Most mornings started around 6F.  One particularly nasty morning the windchill was -27F.   We field hunted (layout blind, a-frame blind and snow-goose chairs) the entire time (9 hunts in all) so the gun was never exposed to water (apart from snow).

I fired about 256 Federal Speed Shok 3" Steel Shot (BB and #2) plus two Winchester #6 Steel Shot (took a partridge).

In total I experienced the following malfunctions:

6x the gun chambered a follow up shot but failed to detonate the primer. Light primer strikes.
3x the gun failed to chamber a second or third round.
1x the gun failed to eject a spent hull.

FWIW the two fellows that I was hunting with both had Benelli SBE3s.  One had a light primer strike and a couple failures to eject.  The other guy's gun had over 5,000 rounds on it and didn't fail once.

We all maintained our shotguns every night, and followed weather appropriate protocols.

I had my Benelli M2 as a back up gun and nearly switched after the 4th light primer strike.  It was very frustrating.

My final analysis of the A300 Ultima, based upon this limited data, is ....

Great shotgun for the money, but I wouldn't buy it again. I have never experienced any issues with any of the Benelli's I've owned and this spans 1994 to 2023 (29 years of ownership and use).

ETA: the "leader" of our trip has been to the same region waterfowl hunting 9 times in the past 11 years.  He takes a different group every time.  He said, after seeing me struggle with the Beretta, that while they're extremely well spoken of on the internet he's seen more failures with them than any other brand / model.  He's so into waterfowling, he bought 39 acres near his home and built blinds on the property.  His SBE3 has over 20 cases (5,000 rounds) of 3" on it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Not a Patrol model, but I took my new Beretta A300 Ultima 28" Max5 Camo to Canada late in the fall for a two week waterfowl hunt.  When I say new, I mean I bought it new and ran about 75 rounds through it before the trip. The weather ranged from 2F to about 50F.  Most mornings started around 6F.  One particularly nasty morning the windchill was -27F.   We field hunted (layout blind, a-frame blind and snow-goose chairs) the entire time (9 hunts in all) so the gun was never exposed to water (apart from snow).

I fired about 256 Federal Speed Shok 3" Steel Shot (BB and #2) plus two Winchester #6 Steel Shot (took a partridge).

6x the gun chambered a follow up shot but failed to detonate the primer. Light primer strikes.

FWIW the two fellows that I was hunting with both had Benelli SBE3s.  One had a light primer strike and a couple failures to eject.  The other guy's gun had over 5,000 rounds on it and didn't fail once.

We all maintained our shotguns every night, and followed weather appropriate protocols.

I had my Benelli M2 as a back up gun and nearly switched after the 4th light primer strike.  It was very frustrating.

Great shotgun for the money, but I wouldn't buy it again. I have never experienced any issues with any of the Benelli's I've owned and this spans 1994 to 2023 (29 years of ownership and use).

ETA: the "leader" of our trip has been to the same region waterfowl hunting 9 times in the past 11 years.  He takes a different group every time.  He said, after seeing me struggle with the Beretta, that while they're extremely well spoken of on the internet he's seen more failures with them than any other brand / model.  He's so into waterfowling, he bought 39 acres near his home and built blinds on the property.  His SBE3 has over 20 cases (5,000 rounds) of 3" on it.
View Quote

You bought it new and ran 75 shells through it before the hunt? Did you do the standard field strip, clean and lubricate it when it was new before shooting it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skar] [#21]
Went with a Streamlight 69451 TLR RM 2  on left side as of now . Next what to do on sling . Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#22]
First things first... take the crappy plastic mag extension cap and the crappy plastic mlok barrel clamp off and throw both away. GGG makes an AWESOME replacement made from aluminum and is much mo better. I actually pulled the imbedded nuts out of the factory barrel clamp as I was tightening it down. MOST DEF a failure point. Next, while you have that extension cap off, pull the factory magazine spring out, and place it in the same place the first two components belong... in the trash. Spend the $20 or so and get either a Wolff or Nordic spring. Cut to fit, and get rid of the pesky last round not properly feeding issue. The factory spring was def crap and wouldn't even push the last shell all the way down to feed properly. This fixes that issue. You will have to cut to length and tune it, but, it is def the fix.

Once all that is done, add a damn good sling, light, and if red dots are your thing, a red dot. I personally prefer the ghost ring setup. But you do you...
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:20:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cvtrpr] [#23]
I bought an A300 Outlander for waterfowl about 5 years ago, and it has been 100% reliable, no matter ammo manufacturer, shot size, high or low brass, velocity, it just eats everything.  

It led me to buy an A300 Ultima Patrol...and...same thing.  Accurate (with a Holosun 407C on the top, I can ring a 10" steel at 100y with what has become boring reliability), no feeding issues thus far (>450rds of anything I could feed it with no hiccups), and you can ghost load it for a 9rd capacity.  It's a great shotty.

ETA:  I guess I already answered this thread  .....but yeah, still same answer.  Great scattergun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

View Quote

Your experience mirrors others that I have seen who have used the A300 for hunting.  The benelli M2 seems a much better and more reliable shotgun based on reports I've seen and comparisons between the two from people who have used both.  

I also don't like how they cut out chrome plating in critical areas which further hurts reliability, and other cost cutting measures.  The only thing "cost cutting" about the M2 vs the M4 is that it uses a different operating system.  

As others have suggested, just save up the extra couple hundred and find a used 1301 or M2.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:37:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cvtrpr] [#25]
Originally Posted By Blain:

Your experience mirrors others that I have seen who have used the A300 for hunting.  The benelli M2 seems a much better and more reliable shotgun based on reports I've seen and comparisons between the two from people who have used both.  

I also don't like how they cut out chrome plating in critical areas which further hurts reliability, and other cost cutting measures.  The only thing "cost cutting" about the M2 vs the M4 is that it uses a different operating system.  

As others have suggested, just save up the extra couple hundred and find a used 1301 or M2.
View Quote
I've killed LOTS of ducks and geese with my A300 Outlander, throughout the many times sub-zero Idaho winter, and have never missed a shot because the gun malfunctioned. I've missed a lot of shots cuz I'm a shitty bird hunter.

ETA: I've never hunted with a Benelli, as my A300's reliability has never caused me to seek another option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top