Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2022 10:55:05 PM EDT
Think serbu super shorty. 2+1 or 3+1 capacity

So barrel, mag tube, shorten mag spring, action bars, maybe the foreend itself.
What else?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought you already got this thing with your SBS Masterkey Build. Are you now asking how to build the SBS?

So exactly what is your intention? Confused.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Hater tots.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought you already got this thing with your SBS Masterkey Build. Are you now asking how to build the SBS?

So exactly what is your intention? Confused.

View Quote

Balancing length and budget

I have a few sbs

Attachment Attached File

I THINK I have settled on a 20ga Shockwave for my poor man’s masterkey. But it’s got a 14.x” barrel and is 5+1 capacity and that seems excessive. I don’t give a shit about capacity. Three (2+1) shotguns shells solves all problems. 3+1 seems like a good compromise
My 870 is 12” and that wouldn’t exactly be “short” under an AR… barrel and receiver is like 19.75”
I’m aiming for 9-10” barrel (2 shell tube mag) but I’m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Again, 3 round tube seems reasonable
$450 host plus another stamp and… $300? $500? $900? in gunsmith work to shorten it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So barrel, mag tube, shorten mag spring, action bars, maybe the foreend itself.
What else?
View Quote
Add in repositioning the barrel ring (support ring) and I think you'll have everything.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Add in repositioning the barrel ring (support ring) and I think you'll have everything.
View Quote

Damn
Forgot about this
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a lot of work and it seems like the vast majority of people come to the conclusion it's worth it to buy a finished gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a lot of work and it seems like the vast majority of people come to the conclusion it's worth it to buy a finished gun.
View Quote

Just hunt on gunbroker?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm aiming for 9-10" barrel (2 shell tube mag) but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm aiming for 9-10" barrel (2 shell tube mag) but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
I don't think it is, unless your goal is to get it short enough to fit into a holster.

As far as "Master Keys" go, ask Delta Force operators from the 1990s...
They concluded it sucks. Always better to have a stand-alone breacher. An underslung shotgun really kills the handling of your AR (way worse than the lighter M203).

If you really must have a repeating shotgun mounted under your AR, get the M26 MASS (which still sucks, but slightly less so).

If you just want tacticool fancy stuff, get a 40mm M203 and some 12ga adapters for it.

Again, 3 round tube seems reasonable
$450 host plus another stamp and  $300? $500? $900? in gunsmith work to shorten it?
Something like that.
Finding an 870 "Special Field" will save some work (assuming 10" is short enough).

See this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Stock-870-shortened-to-less-than-12-5/57-490509/
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you just want tacticool fancy stuff, get a 40mm M203 and some 12ga adapters for it
View Quote

Done lol

Attachment Attached File

It would be basically for shit posting on Arfcom, not rucking or engaging aliens
I’ll check out the special field and MASS, thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just hunt on gunbroker?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just hunt on gunbroker?

I found one here in the EE. The other I found in a random webstore. I don't want to stop you from doing what you want. If you really want one I'd contact Serbu and Safety Harbor and see if they'd build you one. Or start contacting Smiths. I have no idea if Mossberg is still doing theirs but I'd search those part numbers too if I was looking.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My very bad dream gun does the opposite - a 5.56 rifle under a rear tube mag fed pump shotgun.

The Crossfire, which is a mechanical monstrosity of a pump action combo gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I looked at having my stamped 870 made into a super shortly by a reputable go-to guy. Would have been like $900 on top of the $200 stamp and $300 gun. And really would have taken it from like 12” barrel to 8/9” IIRC.

Not “financially” worth it but let’s be honest, SBSs are seldom worth it. I decided to delay and will eventually SBS a SxS to get down to stupid length.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Damn
Forgot about this
View Quote

This isn't that difficult of a task given you have MAPP gas torch and new appropriate solder.

You can heat up the ring from a Mossberg Maverick and remove it easy enough.  Re attaching is a simple affair - clean, prep flux align, clamp and solder with torch.  The issue is the barrel will have to be carefully aligned so it hits to original POI that it previously did as the barrel tapers and the new point of attachment further back is wider than where it was attached in the front - and requires adjustment
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]
6.5" Super Shorty owner here.

The barrel ring also appears to be cut down slightly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I built this a few years ago. Everything in front of the receiver has been modified.

Holds two in the tube

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hater tots.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I built this a few years ago. Everything in front of the receiver has been modified.

Holds two in the tube

https://i.imgur.com/AZmwtdE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0J0DLVo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pqWQoQ0.jpg
View Quote

I remember that thing. Looks like you did a great job. I don't think I've ever seen that front sling mount. Do you have a sling you run on it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Holds two in the tube

https://i.imgur.com/AZmwtdE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0J0DLVo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pqWQoQ0.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful
Wanna make some money?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I remember that thing. Looks like you did a great job. I don't think I've ever seen that front sling mount. Do you have a sling you run on it.
View Quote

Nothing special,I put a MP5 hook on a sling i had.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I went through this a few years ago. It would have cast $1100 to do all the work plus the stamp.  It was cheaper to buy the super shorty already made.
Glad I got that out of my system.
Now I’m actually happy with my SBS shockwave.
The super shorty would have been cool but to much money just to show off to my range buddies.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I went through this a few years ago. It would have cast $1100 to do all the work plus the stamp.  It was cheaper to buy the super shorty already made.
Glad I got that out of my system.
Now I’m actually happy with my SBS shockwave.
The super shorty would have been cool but to much money just to show off to my range buddies.
View Quote

Yeah - custom work is expensive.

My Son In Law wanted one after I had picked up my Mossberfg factory short AOW but couldn't find any reasonable.  I think I picked mine up for like $350 (they were cheaper than the shockwaves! when cleared out)  

We converted his cheap Maverick 88 and did it as a family project after he got an SBS tax stamp just in case he wanted to add a stock.

Its not as nice as a Serbu but not bad either.  We made a 3+1 so its like 9 or so inch barrel

1) Disassembled the gun and removed mag tube.

2) Cut mag tube to length after figuring out how long it had to be.

3) recovered the mag tube plug from the cut off section (the part where the barrel lug threads into the mag cap and tac-welded it to the short tube  you could probably use slader or epoxy too.

4) Remove barrel lug from barrel using MAPP gas,  get it good and hot and tap it with a hammer - it pops off.  

5)  Determine proper length of barrel (length of barrel and lug placement) by loosely assembling  mag tube and barrel laying down on table and mark the areas.

6) cut barrel (tax stamp required)

7) clean/sand prep and clamp lug for resoldering with Brownells silver solder and flux. Clamp it heat it let it cool and its ready - Stuff works great for a variety of projects.

Note when you move the lug back/re-ward on the barrel, you will change point of impact as we found out LOL, so you may need a much higher front sight or you can shim with steel when you re-solder the lug and use a laser bore sight 12 gauge cartridge (put it in the chamber, look down the rear sight plane check aiming point vs laser dot on a wall far away - figure out if you need to rise or lower your lug until its close.

8) NOW the tricky part, cutting the pump rails.  had to now shorten (cut out a middle section of the rails to get the pump handle in the right area and still function.  just sort of eyeballed it and welded with a harbor frieght flux core welder.  My son in law found a cheap rail style handguard we cut to a short length and cut off most of the rails - he attached a vertical grip, but can also attach rail cover.

Nobody commercially offers/makes the forward grip block like Mossberg/Serbu so this is the true improvised part that is tricky n my opinion.

So one can make a POORS Serbu (A Po-Bu?)
removed the barrel lug by heating it up.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Seems like a ton of work. if you diy I bet this thing is fucking fun with minishells. Just requires cutting, no brazing/repositioning.

Attachment Attached File
Top Top