Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2024 1:38:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskey1Alpha]
Other than the caliber, is it really just a different length barrel, trigger and the stock?

I can't really find any details on what sets them apart from these 3 things.

Does it have a better/higher quality precision barrel?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:48:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#1]
Nailed it. All it needs is a barrel to convert to .308.

I know the DMR stock is heavier but I don’t know if my 6.5 barrel is heavier than the .308 barrel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

I know the DMR stock is heavier but I don’t know if my 6.5 barrel is heavier than the .308 barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The barrel is a heavier profile. I don’t know how much more it actually weighs but if we look at the complete rifle weights provided by FN it’s 9.5lbs vs 8lbs. I know SSR stock weighs 17oz more than the ugg boot so it looks like about 7oz heavier for the 6.5 vs 7.62 in 16”

Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:
Other than the caliber, is it really just a different length barrel, trigger and the stock?

I can't really find any details on what sets them apart from these 3 things.

Does it have a better/higher quality precision barrel?

I doubt the barrel is made any differently, some of the early reports have it being less accurate than the 7.62 barrel. Don’t know if that has something to do with QC, small sample size, some issue with the light weight profile, 4 vs 6 bolt trunnion(no accuracy difference between the calibers in the 20S), or something else.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grinder] [#3]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

The barrel is a heavier profile. I don’t know how much more it actually weighs but if we look at the complete rifle weights provided by FN it’s 9.5lbs vs 8lbs. I know SSR stock weighs 17oz more than the ugg boot so it looks like about 7oz heavier for the 6.5 vs 7.62 in 16”

I doubt the barrel is made any differently, some of the early reports have it being less accurate than the 7.62 barrel. Don’t know if that has something to do with QC, small sample size, some issue with the light weight profile, 4 vs 6 bolt trunnion(no accuracy difference between the calibers in the 20S), or something else.
View Quote

The barrel is the exact same profile as the standard 17
The weight difference is + 2.2 ozs for the 6.5
Smaller bore and different muzzle device is the difference
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#4]
Originally Posted By Grinder:

View All Quotes

Where did the other ~5oz go? I don’t think bore diameter is going to make that much difference and the weights from FN are showing the same muzzle device, regardless it’s not going to be ~5oz .

I’ll throws some calipers on my 7.62 if someone can measure a 6.5, just looking at them side by side and not paying that much attention the DMR looks heavier.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got both, the difference is caliber, stock and trigger. Cant measure mine at the moment as the 6.5 is on it's way back to me from FN.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Accuracy issues were due to incorrect/uneven barrel torque. My 17s DMR also had incorrect torque. I retorqued it myself before taking it to the range and it did not have any accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Accuracy issues were due to incorrect/uneven barrel torque. My 17s DMR also had incorrect torque. I retorqued it myself before taking it to the range and it did not have any accuracy issues.
View All Quotes

That solved everyone’s issues? I’ll have to look back through the other threads but I thought that was done by some and didn’t solve the problem. Fingers crossed that’s the fix, I’d really like to get a 6.5 barrel for my 17 but if it isn’t at least as accurate as the 7.62 I have no use for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grinder] [#8]

Where did the other ~5oz go? I don’t think bore diameter is going to make that much difference and the weights from FN are showing the same muzzle device, regardless it’s not going to be ~5oz .

I’ll throws some calipers on my 7.62 if someone can measure a 6.5, just looking at them side by side and not paying that much attention the DMR looks heavier.
View Quote

I used a caliper on both barrels
There is a 2 oz barrel weight difference, not 5
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:27:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FluxIntegral] [#9]

View Quote

I retorqued my barrel and I still got ~2.5-3moa accuracy out of mine. My muzzle device was incredibly tight, a gunsmith had to remove it. Sent it to FN, they tightened a couple of things (including the muzzle device) and managed to get ~1.68" out of it at 100yds. I would imagine that the gun was placed in a test fixture to shoot that group thus that might be the mechanical limit for the gun. They stated that 2" is the spec for the rifle, so 1.68" was well within good. Out of dozens of groups that I have shot, only one was smaller than 1.68. It's great that others are doing better with it. I'll keep trying.

FWIW, the first five shots with my 6.5 DD5V4 at 100yds w/140gr American Gunner was .86". I guess some guns are easier to shoot well than others...
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FluxIntegral:

I retorqued my barrel and I still got ~2.5-3moa accuracy out of mine. My muzzle device was incredibly tight, a gunsmith had to remove it. Sent it to FN, they tightened a couple of things (including the muzzle device) and managed to get ~1.68" out of it at 100yds. I would imagine that the gun was placed in a test fixture to shoot that group thus that might be the mechanical limit for the gun. They stated that 2" is the spec for the rifle, so 1.68" was well within good. Out of dozens of groups that I have shot, only one was smaller than 1.68. It's great that others are doing better with it. I'll keep trying.

FWIW, the first five shots with my 6.5 DD5V4 at 100yds w/140gr American Gunner was .86". I guess some guns are easier to shoot well than others...
View Quote

FWIW I am shooting steel so I couldn’t tell you with confidence how accurate my gun is, just that it hits the spot I aim for.

Feeding from the magazine into the chamber on a semi-auto is pretty violent on the cartridge and could be impacting accuracy. You could try hand feeding to rule out the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Nice! Thanks for the update. Not the first time a manufacturer’s weights have been off or my eyes have deceived me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Nice! Thanks for the update. Not the first time a manufacturer’s weights have been off or my eyes have deceived me.
View Quote

OK,
I found the error.
My 6.5 DMR weights 9 lbs 2.4 Oz out of the box (not 9 1/2 lbs)
My Belgian 17 weights 8 lb even
SSR stock is plus 17 oz
A few oz for the barrel and variables puts us in the ballpark
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskey1Alpha] [#13]
So crazy person idea.

If you had a Mk20 but wanted the 17 DMR due to a shorter barrel and it being slightly lighter, yet wanted the better precision barrel on the MK20....why not just cut the Mk20 down to 16 inches? :D

Or what would that royally mess up - other than the warranty?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So crazy person idea.

If you had a Mk20 but wanted the 17 DMR due to a shorter barrel and it being slightly lighter, yet wanted the better precision barrel on the MK20....why not just cut the Mk20 down to 16 inches? :D

Or what would that royally mess up - other than the warranty?
View Quote

I’m 100% going to cut my 7.62 20S barrel down, 16” at the longest. It’s still a much heavier profile and the 6 bolt vs 4 bolt trunnion/ barrel extension is much beefier. I may get the barrel re-profiled to get some of the weight back but I’m still undecided about that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]

I’m 100% going to cut my 7.62 20S barrel down, 16” at the longest. It’s still a much heavier profile and the 6 bolt vs 4 bolt trunnion/ barrel extension is much beefier. I may get the barrel re-profiled to get some of the weight back but I’m still undecided about that.
View Quote

Would cutting the 20 barrel back to 16 or so mess with the gas/piston system or possibly cause an accuracy issue? Have never had a barrel cut, but on my M110s I have the 16 inch K version and its lighter/performs as good as the 20 inch barrels with just the velocity loss.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Would cutting the 20 barrel back to 16 or so mess with the gas/piston system or possibly cause an accuracy issue? Have never had a barrel cut, but on my M110s I have the 16 inch K version and its lighter/performs as good as the 20 inch barrels with just the velocity loss.
View All Quotes

Swapping gas control screws is easy. All the barre lengths have the same gas system so there isn’t any guess work involved with a 16” barrel either. I suppose there is always a risk accuracy could be affected but as long as the person doing it knows how to cut a crown it should be fine. I’ve had high dollar accurate barrels cut before without adversely effecting accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
When FN states this on the DMR:

16.25-in. Cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined, free-floating barrel with muzzle device

Is the muzzle device included into the 16.25 inch length, or is it a 16.25 barrel plus whatever length of the brake extends forward?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#18]
When FN states this on the DMR:

16.25-in. Cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined, free-floating barrel with muzzle device

Is the muzzle device included into the 16.25 inch length, or is it a 16.25 barrel plus whatever length of the brake extends forward?
View Quote

Unless the muzzle device is pinned to the barrel it can’t be included in the length. I suspect that’s the barrel length without the brake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top