Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2023 5:35:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shadowgrouse]
Because no one needs to lose an eye.

TL/DR: $300 to buy an airgun for kids 8 and under

On a more serious note. Looking to purchase my first air rifle since I was a young lad. Or more accurately looking to get one for my kids.

Their current experience is the lever action Daisy rifles at Scout Camp.

So the rundown:
Kids age 8 and younger.
Shooting in my suburban backyard at targets 10 to 20 yards tops.
Budget is no more than $300 for the basic rifle.

Would like something that Dad can also use to get some practice in as well, but that's gravy.
I read the sticky about first airguns, but that's a really old post and models seem to have changed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
A little confused between the thread title and the description, so I may be off here, but I bought my 7 year old nephew a pretty nice Gel Blaster gun

If he digs it we can both get kitted out in Summer and have some Gel Blaster wars

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Does look like fun, but I'm looking for something to teach fundamentals with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:
Does look like fun, but I'm looking for something to teach fundamentals with.
View Quote

Roger that!

In for responses.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I would stick with the Red Rider equivalent BB gun for the kids. Then I would check out Umarex Origin or Air Venturi Avenger for you. I know this is a bit above your budget. But as your kid grows they will get some better benefits from the pcp.
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-avenger-regulated-pcp-air-rifle?m=5136
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
BB's.

It's like getting a really cool battery powered toy but no batteries..............
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Give the CMP Daisy 853 refurbs a serious look. Monte Carlo stock of course.

Might be a little big for the kiddo at the moment but they are a fantastic value for a great gun you can shoot in the garage. They are super accurate and come with nice peep sights.

You can shoot it too. Better yet, buy one for each of you, refinish the socks together, buy a shitload of match wadcutter pellets and proceed to have a ball.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:30:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: two4spooky] [#7]
Weihrauch HW30 in .177 caliber. Enjoyable for both you and your kid plus will last a lifetime(or two).
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Crosman 362.
Three pumps is plenty for backyard plinking and ten pumps is a lot of power.
Cheap to buy and lots of aftermarket upgrades so you don't have to ever outgrow it.
Good trigger out of the box.

Civilian MarksmanshipProgram has refurbished Daisy Elite pump rifles with Avanti sights for just over $200.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChupacabraSAR:
Give the CMP Daisy 853 refurbs a serious look. Monte Carlo stock of course.

Might be a little big for the kiddo at the moment but they are a fantastic value for a great gun you can shoot in the garage. They are super accurate and come with nice peep sights.

You can shoot it too. Better yet, buy one for each of you, refinish the socks together, buy a shitload of match wadcutter pellets and proceed to have a ball.
View Quote

This.  I bought two of them about 10 years ago.  Set up one with no stock spacers and a Simmons 22 Mag scope (it has held up fine).  The other I put both spacers and the stock target sights.  My boys 9 and 11 love shooting the scoped one.  Extremely accurate air rifles that are low power (good for backyards).  They are designed for 10M air rifle comps.  Perfect for kids to learn on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top