Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2024 7:06:14 PM EDT
Without the suppressor it runs fine. With the suppressor I get light primer strikes…or maybe bolt not going fully into battery. The AR pistol was very dirty. I attempted to do a quick cleaning on the range that maybe helped a bit but ultimately went back to failing every few rounds. I wouldn’t say it was jamming either. It appeared like rounds were fully chambering and when trigger was pulled, “click” no discharge. I’d drop mag and eject live round. The rounds look have a very light primer strike. I can post pics of the rounds and my wife might have taken a video. I will find out later and post it up if so.
I did swap BCAs with another rifle at one point and the same BCA ran fine in a 16” AR15 rifle but the issue continued on the AR Pistol w/ suppressor. It seemed like the issue got progressively worse as the day went on.

I assume this is a gas issue? Or maybe fouling building up?

Any ideas? I’m new to suppressors and troubleshooting gas issues. Thanks dudes.

AR15 pistol in question. 5.56 NATO. Aero Lahar 30K can, 8” Ballistic Advantage bbl, M16 BCA. Shooting Winchester M193 and some green tip.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:11:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Green0:
Those little stocks look good, but they don't typically allow a standard size buffer or spring to be installed.  The buffer taps the bolt carrier and prevents it from bouncing or staying out of battery.  In order to have a light strike, you need either light spring tension on the hammer, or bolt bounce on auto, or bolt carrier out of battery on a semi-auto gun.

Your trigger is also not standard, so that might be a first place to look.
View Quote

Trigger is a Larue MBT. Yeah the SB HBPDW brace replaces the buffer tube/spring/buffer. It all works fine without the suppressor. Should I try putting a standard trigger group back in?

I appreciate any ideas info.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#3]
Sounds like a trigger/FCG issue.  Are you sure you’re getting an actual “click” when you pull the trigger?

I only ask because you’ll have a small dimple on the primer every time you chamber a round in an AR due to the free floating firing pin.  Are your primers just slightly dimpled?  Or are you getting legit light primer strikes?

My immediate thought would be you’re so overgassed when suppressed the bolt carrier is outrunning your disconnector’s ability to catch the hammer when the BCG cycles.  If you’re actually getting a full trigger reset and the hammer is actually falling on the subsequent trigger pull, that can’t be the issue though.

If it were my gun, I’d swap the FCG to isolate those parts.

ETA:  That’s a 5.56 gun?  Theres a good chance you’re extremely overgassed if there’s not an adjustable gas block on there.  You’re even worse off with that brace/recoil system choice.  Shorter than typical pistol gas 5.56 barrels typically have massively hogged out gas ports because manufacturers need them to function unsuppressed.  This can cause a lot of issues when you introduce a suppressor that isn’t designed for low backpressure (the Lahar-30 isn’t).
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe try installing the heavy spring that comes with the larue trigger.
That would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I got light primer strikes because my gun was so filthy the firing pin was seized in place (had to pry it out) or the trigger assembly was so nasty.  I must have put 1000 plus rounds without cleaning and then let it sit for months.  It fired the first round then failed on every single other I tried.  I guess it could have been something else but it took a lot of effort to get that firing pin out.  Threw everything in an ultra sonic cleaner and it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:39:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#6]
You sure it’s legit light primer strikes? Pics of rounds?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic of the rounds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ak4784:
Here is a pic of the rounds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/IMG_5618_jpeg-3194251.JPG
View Quote

Those are dimples from the round chambering.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The trigger was definitely resetting. We were getting a very noticeable “click” when the trigger was pressed. Hammer would drop, we would have to recharge the pistol to try firing again. These were some of the rounds being ejected.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

Those are dimples from the round chambering.
View Quote

Yup. OP what buffer setup is in there? With an 8” 5.56 barrel (and that’s a whole nother can of worms), and presumably a pistol length gas system, you’re probably very much overgassed with the can.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:41:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#11]
The trigger was definitely resetting. We were getting a very noticeable “click” when the trigger was pressed. Hammer would drop, we would have to recharge the pistol to try firing again. These were some of the rounds being ejected.
View Quote

Sounds like the gun wasn’t fully in battery then.  Do you have another lower you could swap on there with a standard buffer setup?  I have one of those HBPDW/Q setups and the buffer is fairly light.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Sounds like the gun wasn’t fully in battery then.  Do you have another lower you could swap on there with a standard buffer setup?  I have one of those HBPDW/Q setups and the buffer is fairly light.
View Quote

This is what I am thinking also now. Just got off the phone with my friend. He said he was able to charge the pistol and hit the forward assist and it would put the carrier into battery and it would fire every time.
I do have another lower I can swap in but I won’t be able to fire it until sometime this week.

If that is the case, what are my options to remedy this?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Check the FCG and make sure there is not any debris present that could slow the hammer fall. I've seen back pressure from a suppressor drive crud, debris, and blown primers into some improbable places. Similarly, check the firing pin channel on the bolt. Again, back pressure can force crud into very creative places.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#14]

This is what I am thinking also now. Just got off the phone with my friend. He said he was able to charge the pistol and hit the forward assist and it would put the carrier into battery and it would fire every time.
I do have another lower I can swap in but I won’t be able to fire it until sometime this week.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you’re wanting to keep that style brace/buffer, likely an AGB.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glocked:

Likely this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys. Any recommendations for the lowest profile adj gas block that will fit under my SLR rail? There isn’t much room under there.
I will probably cross post this question in the AR Discussions section also.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ak4784] [#17]
Also. Does this look like an excessive amount of gas leaking out from under the gas block? I noticed the inside of the rail is gray with gas residue also. Seems like a lot to me. Not sure if the pic will show it as well. I feel like the whole damn thing is coated/dusted.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys. Any recommendations for the lowest profile adj gas block that will fit under my SLR rail? There isn’t much room under there.
I will probably cross post this question in the AR Discussions section also.
View Quote

SLR sells adjustable gas blocks that will fit under your SLR rails.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fmkenner:

SLR sells adjustable gas blocks that will fit under your SLR rails.
View Quote

Good call. Thank you! I’ll get one ordered.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Double check to make sure the spring wasn't installed incorrectly. I have the MBT on all my ARs (suppressed) and have never had a light strike.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top