Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2023 12:03:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: green_bullet]
I was needing a screwdriver set TODAY, and Brownells Magna-Tip Super Set was out of stock anyway. I needed a TINY hex key and couldn't tell what size. None of the regular allen keys and hex bits I had fit. Went to the local Cabelas and saw the Wheeler 100 piece screwdriver set.  Seemed to have the largest number of hex bits.

Kit is nice, but I don't have anything to compare it to. The smallest hex bit it has is a 0.05" and 1.5mm. I ended up needing a H0.9 from the Precision Microscrewdriver kit.

https://www.wheelertools.com/sale/100-piece-professional-screwdriver-set/4001003.html
Cabela's website shows one without for a much less. I got the version that included the torque wrench because that's all that was in store
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/wheeler-100-piece-professional-screwdriver-set

The 65 piece set has only two bits, smaller 0.028 and 0.035 inch, that are missing from the combined 100 piece and Precision Micro 58 piece sets
https://www.wheelertools.com/sale/65-piece-hextorx-screwdriver-set/4001007.html#q=65&lang=default&start=1

I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with these kits or any of the other Wheeler screwdriver sets.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a variant and it has been rock solid. I added on the missing ones as well.

Amazon Product
  • EASE OF USE: Hollow-ground bits have a concave shape that allows for insertion all the way into the screw slot for maximum contact
  • VERSATILITY: Features (54) hollow-ground flat bits, (15) specialty bits, (8) Allen, (4) Phillips, (3) Torx, (1) 2 ¼ shaft extension and (1) hex-to-square drive adapter
  • INCLUDES: 2 non-slip, overmolded plastic handles with a convenient hinged storage case

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:59:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: green_bullet] [#2]
Update: I used the wrong size torx bit when installing a rail. One size too small. Twisted the bit, not beyond use, but lesson learned to be more careful, it felt like a fit. Used a T9 when I should have used a T10. I was worried that these might have bits that are too hard and will end up stripping screws, unlike what the Magna-Tips from Brownells are supposed to do (break the bits to preserver the screws), but it may be the bits will give out before a screw head will end up being stripped.

While not stated in the linked pages, the 72 piece set has the following for the bits: made from durable S2 tool steel with a 56-58 Rockwell "C" hardness rating.
Presumably all their bits are the same across all kits, except for specialty kits like the Precision Micro kit which has chrom plated steel bits.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top