Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2023 10:15:40 PM EDT
Even without electronic fire controls, PCP airguns are now capable of sub 0.5 MOA groups, and have velocity extreme spreads of less than 1 ft/s. With the electronic stuff, like what Daystate is putting into the various "Wolf" guns, these capabilities are just easier to obtain.

There are now semi auto PCPs and even full auto ones as well which are more capable in the precision realm than the best guns of just 10 years ago.

In addition, power has increased to the point where it is closely approaching .22 standard velocity in .22 caliber, and has met standard pistol velocities and energies in the "big bore" rifles.

Obviously, as the current technology is better refined companies will be able to lower prices of guns which are capable of these current top level ones.

With this in mind, what areas still need improvement? And, what kinds of competitions will drive innovation in that direction?

Note:  I've been attending the Extreme Benchrest matches since 2013, and have been watching the progress of the technology.  Those matches have been a driving force for many of the improvements we now enjoy.  But, I'm beginning to think that marked improvements may be waning. I hope folks can give insight on things I may be overlooking.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Projectile design.
Materials design for lighter weight.
Advances in airgun optics.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Built-in chronographs,  double regulated.
Consistent weighted pellets.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:55:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FB41:
Projectile design.
Materials design for lighter weight.
Advances in airgun optics.
View Quote

How do requirements for optics for air guns differ from those for centerfire?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I read the title and thought you meant the brand Airgun technology
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

How do requirements for optics for air guns differ from those for centerfire?
View Quote

Springer guns recoil different and are hard on scopes not rated to handle it
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BearTrooper:

View Quote

But, any scope that is designed to handle a larger caliber with a brake will handle any spring gun. The forces are very similar.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally I'd like to see more high capacity semi auto PCPs. Like a higher quality Sig MCX PCP but blowback.
I'd also really like to see micro PCP tanks develop. Something a bit bigger than a CO2 cartridge, that would fit in a pistol. You could charge up a few and go shoot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:

But, any scope that is designed to handle a larger caliber with a brake will handle any spring gun. The forces are very similar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nope, the double recoil of a spring gun will kill the best of em' if not designed to take it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mousegun:

Nope, the double recoil of a spring gun will kill the best of em' if not designed to take it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mousegun:

So will a AR10. The heavy bolt carrier is hard on optics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

So will a AR10. The heavy bolt carrier is hard on optics.
View Quote

The negative acceleration of a muzzle brake on a magnum rifle are very similar to that of the piston being stopped by air compression.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently got my kid started in 3PAR, and I’d love to see more CMP accepted sporter class rifles with improved performance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe become more affordable, around $3k or more for a top PCP and then several hundred for the compressor, then the scope.
It adds up quick.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Maybe become more affordable, around $3k or more for a top PCP and then several hundred for the compressor, then the scope.
It adds up quick.
View Quote

There are many sub $500 guns out there that would have been quite competitive in the Extreme Benchrest game just 8 years ago.   The current $3000 guns are for those who wish to be competitive now in those games, plus those who demand the latest and greatest.  They are not for everyday pesting, though more than capable of that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#14]

The negative acceleration of a muzzle brake on a magnum rifle are very similar to that of the piston being stopped by air compression.
View Quote

Now I’m wondering what kind of abuse an AR10 with a muzzle brake dishes out?
Now back on topic. People also seem to overlook the scope bases on spring power air rifles. The screws sure take a beating. A tig welded base would be an improvement on some spring power air rifles. I wonder if the gas piston power plants will see some improvement?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Whats a good entry  level pcp? I got the itch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
Whats a good entry  level pcp? I got the itch.
View Quote

I like my BSA Buccaneer better than my Umarex Origin. If I had it to do over I think I would choose the Air Venturi Avenger over the Origin. But when I dipped my toe into the PCP world you couldn’t find an Avenger or a Benjamin Marauder.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I started with entry level Crosman Challenger ten meter gun then Benjamin Akela and Walther Reign then FX Dreamline and now Impact M3 in less than two years.  It's a deep deep hole!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top