Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2023 10:03:01 AM EDT
I have an airbrush and I prefer to apply my finishes that way. I'd like to try some alumihyde as it looks like it will work on synthetic stocks and such. Does anyone sell alumahyde meant for an airbrush or does it only come in a aerosol cans?

Where do your get your airbrush finishes?
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy Duracoat directly from Duracoat cheaper than you can buy it from Midway or Brownells, the last time I checked. I've never used Alumahyde, but was always under the impression that it was only available through Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I don't know what others have done, but, I have syphoned many a spray can to get at the liquid inside, which I promptly thinned for airbrushing.  

Met a Master Chief at the BUD's quarterdeck one time who turned me on to the technique.  My buddy was actually buying an original "Rifleman's Jacket" from him but we got to talking about all sorts of shit.  Anyways, what they did was go to the local Kawasaki shop and buy cases of "Kal Guard" (the predecessor to KG Gun Kote).  They coated their CAR-15's and MAC-10's inside and out with the stuff, to increase corrosion protection in a maritime environment.

We went down to the local Kawi shop, and what do you know, they still sold the stuff.  So we scarfed a bunch up and began to experiment.  We spray it into "film cans", using the hoses from "Brake Parts Cleaner" cans.  Luckily for us (we figured) it was so thick, we had to thin it down to get it to spray through our hobby airbrushes.  It was this beautiful charcoal gray color; looked like a really nice park job.  Back in the early 80's, when you built an AR, it was all sorts of shades from all sorts of different mfg's.  So the "Kal Guard" coating really gave you a nice factory finish.  

I don't know for sure, but if I wanted Alumahyde (which is good stuff) I'd use this same technique to run it through my current spray rig.  

And I just buy liquid direct from Dura Coat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting technique. I may have to try that. A can would probably last 3x longer and would look much better. The alumihyde is an epoxy paint I believe, so I wonder what effect the thinner would have on the curing process...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I drive over and buy my duracoat from the source
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get Aluma Hyde directly from Brownells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top