Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2023 4:15:02 PM EDT
I am thinking about converting a pistol (not an AR-15 "Pistol") to an SBR.  I am torn about doing a B&T USW-A1 (or a similar variant) or doing a Glock.  The Glock chassis is listed as $436 so that, plus the $200 NFA stamp, fingerprints, engraving, etc., and tada, you're now legal with a rifle-stocked pistol!

I am looking for something that really is more pistol and less PDW than an HK MP-5K or B&T TP-9 or Mini-Uzi.

What do you have and how does it work for you?  Can you carry it like a pistol with the stock attached?  How has it helped with longer range shots?  Would you do it again?

Lastly, where did you engrave your pistol?  I am wondering about the Glock and USW and where and how I would legally engrave them for a Form 1.

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skullsoldier] [#1]
Originally Posted By sidpost:
I am thinking about converting a pistol (not an AR-15 "Pistol") to an SBR.  I am torn about doing a B&T USW-A1 (or a similar variant) or doing a Glock.  The Glock chassis is listed as $436 so that, plus the $200 NFA stamp, fingerprints, engraving, etc., and tada, you're now legal with a rifle-stocked pistol!

I am looking for something that really is more pistol and less PDW than an HK MP-5K or B&T TP-9 or Mini-Uzi.

What do you have and how does it work for you?  Can you carry it like a pistol with the stock attached?  How has it helped with longer range shots?  Would you do it again?

Lastly, where did you engrave your pistol?  I am wondering about the Glock and USW and where and how I would legally engrave them for a Form 1.

TIA,
Sid
View Quote

I have a pair of TP9 SBRs and a Glock USW SBR. The TP9 looks really cool, but I prefer the USW mainly due to the softer recoil. The TP9 has a harsh recoil impulse, especially when suppressed. The USW is a pussycat and really comfortable with an A3 Tactical 10-degree VFG. I frequently carry the USW in a sling bag with a 17-round mag. The only downside is that it’s unsafe to carry one in the chamber and I don’t trust trigger guards (the kydex ones).
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 5:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#2]
The Recover brace is pretty bare bones.

Works fine for me, it’s something a little more than a spare pistol in a bag. Their “kits” come with a polymer holster that allows it to be carried. Concealed carry, probably not, at least not how I dress.

THSF does polymer engraving.

Had I known I would end up submitting a Form 1 for it. I’d have likely bought something like a Flux. The Recover has fit the role of cheap+something a little more than a spare pistol in a bag fine though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I did the B&T stock chassis on a G40. It’s ok. The stock is so small in footprint that it leaves bruises when I shoot it.

No regrets on it tho.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like my Flux Raider.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]

current configuration.  I brace ruled the P320 fcu, so no engraving necessary.  This thing is tiny, but with the brace -now a stock? Out it handles really well.  I have short arms, barrel chest, and wide shoulders, so the short stock is perfect.  Some people would probably find it too short, but they make 2 different length stocks for it.   With the brace/stock extended and the red dot it is crazy fast and accurate.   Far more so than a pistol.  It reaches out far easier at 25 yards (farthest at the indoor range) than a pistol as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 4:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aksahsalahs] [#6]
I did a Glock 17L about 10 years ago, AKA Glock on a stick

Attachment Attached File

Kinda wish I did a Gen3 frame for the rail, oh well. Longer shots are def easier. I've thought about doing it again with p320 variant.

Engraving was done on underside of trigger guard.

ETA: I also did a TP9, pretty much a requirement to make it useful
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]

I considered the various kits available for Glocks when I was first thinking about doing a form 1 for my G45. There were a lot of considerations, but I decided that a Cobra stock would give me more of what I wanted than other options.

Pros:

It’s very easy to install and uninstall.

Installed, you are still able to holster your firearm, so long as it’s in the folded position.

Rapid deployment from folded to extended position. Simply pull on the end and it folds out.

You don’t have to worry about swapping around optics or having a red dot tied up on a chassis that you may not be using.

Cons:

I think it looks a little stupid.

Conclusion:

All my range buddies think that it’s a funny looking set up. They all also love shooting it.

Since these pictures were taken I have swapped the RMR with a SRO and my Odessa-9 was approved. I like it even more now.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve had a couple Glock stocks by fab defense and they are totally fine but the b&t is far superior.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Happy with the B&T stock on a G17 as well.  Engraved under the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I had* a G17L in a USW chassis.  Apparently B&T offers a holster that will fit the USW chassis, but I don't have it.  I shot it in a couple USPSA matches, and while it helped a little with longer-range shots compared to a handgun, overall it was worse than either a handgun or a normal-sized PCC.  I had the barrel hood of an aftermarket barrel engraved with my info.  Since I left the frame and the factory barrel alone, the gun could be returned to non-NFA form without any extraneous engraving, which was important to me because the G17L is a little more collectible than a plain G17 or G19 or something.  Overall it was a little fun to play with for the experience, but having done so I don't think I'd even get another stocked handgun even if the NFA went away.

* I sold it to another ARFCOM member a few months ago and I'm still waiting on the form 4 to be approved.

Ian's take here is pretty accurate in my experience.

Stocked Pistols: Great or Garbage?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Sig P320 in a Flux Raider setup with a stock on it.  I SBR’d it and love it even more than the brace.  It is two screws to remove the braced end and install the stock end.  They make it with three different lengths if you need a longer length of pull.  

I also SBRed my TP9 and put the side folding stock on it.  It looks awesome, but TP9 triggers aren’t great.  So I prefer the Flux Raider setup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#14]
A couple years back I bought an auto ordinance 1911 carbine, that’s essentially a 1911 pistol with a crude wood stock and a 16 inch barrel. I am gonna build a new stock for it out of a mainspring housing, a small spacer and a folding stock from a vz58.

I like it as a rifle, but 16 is too long on the pistol based rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top