Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2023 4:46:10 PM EDT
What are some good wholesalers for at home FFLs?

Currently setup with:

Allen Arms
DSG Arms
MGE
Lipseys

In process with:

Zanders
Primary Arms
Silencer Shop

Looks like RSR and Sports South only do brick and mortar.  Looking for someone with a good optics/parts/accessories/ammo selection.  Really need a good ammo wholesaler.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to SHOT.

RSR will sell you accessories.

Chattanooga will take you but they ship slow - but faster than PSA.

Davidson's will take you, but the highest prices, I hardly ever use them.

Lipsey's has good sales, you just have to balance against their shipping charges.

MGE & MSR are ok, but rarely have much of what I need.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Go to SHOT.

RSR will sell you accessories.

Chattanooga will take you but they ship slow - but faster than PSA.

Davidson's will take you, but the highest prices, I hardly ever use them.

Lipsey's has good sales, you just have to balance against their shipping charges.

MGE & MSR are ok, but rarely have much of what I need.
View Quote

Thanks!  

SHOT is on the list, not sure if it's in the cards for 2024.

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 5:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#3]
2nd amendment wholesale
Chattanooga shooting
Gun accessory supply
Big Tex Outdoor dealer
Contact PSA to get setup as a dealer
Aero Precision
Volquartsen has a decent discount for fflshttps://volquartsen.com/new_dealer
CMMG dealer sales https://www.cmmgdealersales.com/
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Currently setup with:

Allen Arms
DSG Arms
MGE
Lipseys

In process with:

Zanders
Primary Arms
Silencer Shop

Looks like RSR and Sports South only do brick and mortar.  Looking for someone with a good optics/parts/accessories/ammo selection.  Really need a good ammo wholesaler.
View Quote

Two of those are retailers. A true distributor or wholesaler won't compete with you for sales.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Two of those are retailers. A true distributor or wholesaler won't compete with you for sales.
View Quote
They still fit a need for certain things.

I buy on occasion from Primary Arms as they stock some brands that I want smaller quantities of/have high buy ins.

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gentleman4561:
They still fit a need for certain things.

I buy on occasion from Primary Arms as they stock some brands that I want smaller quantities of/have high buy ins.

View Quote

Are you registered on their wholesale site? It's not super awesome but I have found some good deals. If they have something on sale on their main site, don't expect to see it on the wholesale site
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
2nd amendment wholesale
Chattanooga shooting
Gun accessory supply
Big Tex Outdoor dealer
Aero Precision
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#8]
2nd amendment wholesale
Chattanooga shooting
Gun accessory supply
Big Tex Outdoor dealer
Aero Precision
View Quote

Do you mean actual dealer pricing/account or just get listed as an FFL with them?
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

Do you mean actual dealer pricing/account or just get listed as an FFL with them?
View Quote

Dealer account
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Here are a few more.

Zanders
RSR Group - request an accessories only account
2nd Amendment Wholesale
Crow Shooting Supply

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Dealer account
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:  Do you mean actual dealer pricing/account or just get listed as an FFL with them?

Dealer account

Keep in mind PSA will undercut dealer pricing w/ retail sales at every opportunity.  The recent blowout of complete Dagger frames & slides allowed folks to snap together a pistol well below dealer cost for a complete Dagger.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
bill hicks will give you better prices then most listed above if they have it in stock

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By goatboy_k:
bill hicks will give you better prices then most listed above if they have it in stock

View Quote

OP asked about dealers for at-home FFLs.
Bill Hicks requires all dealers to have brick-and-mortar storefronts and submit photos of their store.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JohnDM:

Bill Hicks requires all dealers to have brick-and-mortar storefronts and submit photos of their store.
View All Quotes

Stupid policy.  I lump them in with the "Fudds" that GD talks about: stuck in the past, unwilling to change.  It is especially stupid when I get a drop ship for a customer from Bill Hicks, usually at a ridiculous cut-rate price, but I can't order from them directly.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 1:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#15]

View Quote
Bill Hicks sucks big time.    About a year ago, things were slowing down some, and they were apparently desperate for sales, so they were emailing me about 8 times a day.  I emailed my rep and asked him (quite politely) to cut down on the daily emails.   He responded by suspending my account.   I complained to the sales manager about it.   Not only did he not correct the problem (which should have been a non-event in the first place), he was even worse and was a real dick about it.  He berated me to being a shit dealer who had never bought from them.   He compared me to a customer who comes in my shop every day, but never buys anything.   For one thing, it's different because I never used any of their time or resources by being a dealer.   Second, I sure wouldn't shit on a potential customer coming in and not buying anything, unless he was extensively wasting my time.

And I never bought from them because they never had anything I wanted and/or were more expensive.

Fuck Bill Hicks.   I remember all the OOB distributors in 2019, and pray Bill Hicks soon joins them.   And they are B&M only.

Zanders was my #1 until they changed the free shipping from $500 to $1000.   Now it's mostly Sports South.
And you are judged by your purchases with all these distributors, so you're a lot better off picking one or two and only buying from them.
Lipseys is OK, but they play the "allocated" game to the max.    Davidsons is OK, but mostly higher prices.

Since you don't qualify for Sports South, I'd say Zanders is your #1 choice.   They carry more accessories than most of the others, and their prices are usually the best.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Currently setup with:
Allen Arms
DSG Arms
MGE
Lipseys
In process with:
Zanders
Primary Arms
Silencer Shop
I believe MGE is also the wholesale wing of a retailer.   And they pretty much NEVER have anything I'm looking for.   I think I bought from them 1 time in last 5 years.

Midwest Gun Exchange
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Yep, they're a no go.  Should be pretty well covered at this point.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:

And you are judged by your purchases with all these distributors, so you're a lot better off picking one or two and only buying from them.
Lipseys is OK, but they play the "allocated" game to the max.    Davidsons is OK, but mostly higher prices.

....Zanders is your #1 choice.   They carry more accessories than most of the others, and their prices are usually the best.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Sports South is shipping FAST lately - ordered from em Monday, and had 2 guns in by Ground on Tuesday, and the other 2 from em Wednesday, also ground.

Zanders, Chattanooga, & Lipsey's are my other go tos.  Lipsey's always charges for shipping but they run amazing deals sometimes.  Chattanooga I'm a little shy of lately b/c there were a couple orders that showed up late - though the FedEx airplane crash might have had something to do w/ one of em.

RSR is good for mags & stuff, but I rarely have a $500 order to get free shipping.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
be careful with Aero,

quality product, but they wiill sell you some stuff to day for one price,  then reduce the price tomorrow and don;t give  a shit that they just dropped the price on what you bought,

Link Posted: 10/28/2023 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By rlc:
be careful with Aero,

quality product, but they wiill sell you some stuff to day for one price,  then reduce the price tomorrow and don;t give  a shit that they just dropped the price on what you bought,

View Quote

Huh.
You mean like every seller of any product?

Who knew that sellers have sales.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I am setup with the following as a home FFL

- MGE Wholesale
- Gzanders
- Lipseys
- Davidson *
- RSR Group *
- Hicks Inc *
- Bill Hicks & Co *
- Crow Shooting Supply *
- Chattanooga Shooting *

Net terms with the ones starred, ACH with the rest. Maybe some of them changed stripes, but they all been decently good to me.  Davidsons often has sweet deals on ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By rootdet:
I am setup with the following as a home FFL

- MGE Wholesale
- Gzanders
- Lipseys
- Davidson *
- RSR Group *
- Hicks Inc *
- Bill Hicks & Co *
- Crow Shooting Supply *
- Chattanooga Shooting *

Net terms with the ones starred, ACH with the rest. Maybe some of them changed stripes, but they all been decently good to me.  Davidsons often has sweet deals on ammo.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rootdet:  I am setup with the following as a home FFL

- MGE Wholesale
- Gzanders
- Lipseys
- Davidson *
- RSR Group *
- Hicks Inc *
- Bill Hicks & Co *
- Crow Shooting Supply *
- Chattanooga Shooting *

View Quote

How did you get in w/ RSR?  I have an account but can't buy guns w/ em.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#25]
dunno, just filled out the app, sent my FFL, applied for terms and that was it really.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By rootdet:  dunno, just filled out the app, sent my FFL, applied for terms and that was it really.
View Quote

When was that?  Now you have to send in pics of your storefront.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

I signed up with RSR originally in Jan 2021 and was approved for a full account as an at home dealer. I moved in 2022, changed my FFL and tried to sign back up and all they gave me was a accessories account. I loved having them as a distributor because I would generally get firearms in within 2-3 days from order.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#28]

How did you get in w/ RSR?  I have an account but can't buy guns w/ em.
View Quote

This thread is the first I’ve heard RSR only does accessories for homebased guys. I buy guns from them all the time. Can’t remember what I did to “get in” or I’d gladly share.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By smoke14me:

I signed up with RSR originally in Jan 2021 and was approved for a full account as an at home dealer. I moved in 2022, changed my FFL and tried to sign back up and all they gave me was a accessories account. I loved having them as a distributor because I would generally get firearms in within 2-3 days from order.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smoke14me:

Sports South ships FAST.  They're keeping me happy.  Lipsey's beat them this week on cheap pistols, but didn't ship til yesterday, so I have to hang around waiting on the FedEx man before driving to Longview.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Are you registered on their wholesale site? It's not super awesome but I have found some good deals. If they have something on sale on their main site, don't expect to see it on the wholesale site
View Quote
That is what I was referring to, PA Wholesale.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#31]
After all that it takes to setup and open an physical 07 FFL focused more on manufacturing/assembly/builds than walk-in retail, or your traditional gun store, then all requirements of setting up a bunch of different accounts with manufacturers and distributors.....can someone help me understand why my prices are higher/same as the going street price or nothing is in stock?

Set up about 16 accounts so far with another 12 or so to go.
I'm on a mission and focused and driven to succeed but I'm concerned.

One of the accounts I was excited to get didn't have very good pricing on anything and was very very close to retail and was bummed to see that.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By R702:
After all that it takes to setup and open an physical 07 FFL focused more on manufacturing/assembly/builds than walk-in retail, or your traditional gun store, then all requirements of setting up a bunch of different accounts with manufacturers and distributors.....can someone help me understand why my prices are higher/same as the going street price or nothing is in stock?

One of the accounts I was excited to get didn't have very good pricing on anything and was very very close to retail and was bummed to see that.

View Quote

Good luck doing much retail resale. There are some companies that offer decent pricing on guns and accessories. The margins for this stuff is extremely low.

As for doing custom builds for customers, I find that companies doing manufacturer direct dealer accounts have better pricing. No middle man.

KAK has good pricing on a lot of AR parts. Anderson does as well, but try to buy when they are having a sale, as often their holiday discounts will apply to dealer prices.

I understand your frustration.  And it's why I don't recommend people get an FFL if they don't have some really good market research and a business plan that factors in the low margins. The only way to make money is Very high volume sales, or niche products/market.

It really sucks when a customer asks you what your price is on something, and they can literally get it for the same price or cheaper from someone else. I understand distributors and the role they play, but there seems to be little enforcement of MAP prices and such, with many using other tactics to sell below MAP, like "add to cart to see price" and such.

This is why I focus more on services than sales. Bur at least with some good manufactures accounts, I can sometimes make a little money on a flash hider when doing a pin and weld, or an LPK when assembling a lower for someone. But it's also not my full time job, so it doesn't kill me if I can't
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#33]
View Quote

Your business plan is to have accounts at 28 different wholesalers?

Wholesalers allocate inventory to FFLs that give them most business. Cut that list down to 2-3. I have 2, and no product overlap. Place large orders. Things will suddenly be in-stock. I get an email once a week from my rep with a list of items I can order that on the web page are "out of stock".
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Your business plan is to have accounts at 28 different wholesalers?

Wholesalers allocate inventory to FFLs that give them most business. Cut that list down to 2-3. I have 2, and no product overlap. Place large orders. Things will suddenly be in-stock. I get an email once a week from my rep with a list of items I can order that on the web page are "out of stock".
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not sure what your game plan is, but you only need a couple.
Like Ren said, the more you spend with a distributor,  the more you "unlock" per say.
I'm not sure your funds, but a single $10k order of a variety of firearms off the bat will usually be enough to get their attention.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#35]
.....can someone help me understand why my prices are higher/same as the going street price or nothing is in stock?

View Quote

Because you assume that "wholesale price" is the same for you as it is for PSA, Primary Arms or Kentucky Gun Co.....it isn't. Distributors will fullfill their orders first, reserve inventory and generally bend over backward for those whales. "Allocations" go to them, not you.

Not only are those retailers getting bigger discounts from distributors, they are often buying direct from manufacturers. With that volume comes discounts.
Those discounts also apply to shipping costs.

If you think opening accounts at twenty odd distributors means your business will be a success you haven't read anything in this subforum.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R702] [#36]
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.

No, my business plan doesn't hang solely on the success of having 20+ accounts for retail only. But I did want to have options available of where to order something in the event it is not available with one account, pricing or for order volume.  

Hope that makes sense. The business is split in 3 areas that will have different needs at different times.

Thank you again for the replies, I appreciate it. I've gathered all the information I need from the replies here and I'll continue moving forward.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Bill Hicks is slow to ship.
Chattanooga is pretty darn quick in our experience.  
Crow is slow to ship.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#38]
K-VAR!  RSR will do accessories and sports south of you reach out to them you can negotiate!  Also look into B&T!
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
K-VAR!  RSR will do accessories and sports south of you reach out to them you can negotiate!  Also look into B&T!
View Quote

B+T told me they require a 10+ gun order to get added as a dealer and "there is a 0% chance that they would all be delivered at the same time"
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Dealer in my area uses his dad's old gun shop photos. The ole mans place has been closed down for years. Yet on his Facebook there are the pictures from the ole mans shop.

See him at gun shows with numerous tables full of new inventory. Advertising to order whatever you want. He does NOT have a shop of his own.

I asked him about it and he laughed. Said you have to play the game to get ahead.

Apparently the wholesalers never check anything. I would suggest photo shopping a picture and send it in. I know how much the wholesalers screw over the HB dealers. Why not try?? What are they going to do not sell to you??
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
....What are they going to do not sell to you??
View Quote

"They" may become "All".

Every distributor has manufacturer "stocking dealer" programs. Some just require a minimum order every year, some are more stringent. For example, Glock has pretty strict requirements like a storefront and almost all that have MAP will cut you off pretty quick for violating that.
Glock will put you on a "do not sell to" list at every distributor.

Using the premises address of your FFL it takes seconds to see if you're homebased or not. Pictures of your shop or storefront is so 1990.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StillGonnaSendIt] [#43]

B+T told me they require a 10+ gun order to get added as a dealer and "there is a 0% chance that they would all be delivered at the same time"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

Damn man. Tarheel State Firearms gets pallets of B&T guns almost monthly and he’s a small guy. I figured it was easier than that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Another one came to mind as I was scrolling through threads...

Rainier Arms.

They're hit and miss with good prices as not everything is discounted, but sometimes stock things that other distributors don't. Definitely worth a look.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CuldesacWarlord:
Another one came to mind as I was scrolling through threads...

Rainier Arms.

They're hit and miss with good prices as not everything is discounted, but sometimes stock things that other distributors don't. Definitely worth a look.
View Quote

They aren't a true distributor, but a retailer.

RSR, Sports South, Zanders, Lipseys are true distributors and do not sell at retail to the public.

Companies that claim to be distributors, but also sell via retail will fuck you in the ass faster than Joe Biden sniffs kids.

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#46]

RSR, Sports South, Zanders, Lipseys are true distributors and do not sell at retail to the public.

Companies that claim to be distributors, but also sell via retail will fuck you in the ass faster than Joe Biden sniffs kids.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CuldesacWarlord:  Another one came to mind as I was scrolling through threads...

Rainier Arms.

Looking at you, PSA...
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Looking at you, PSA...
View Quote

My first purchase from PSA was a dozen S&W M&P15-22's.......$150 less EACH than RSR/Sport South/Lipseys distributor price. I was made aware of the deal by my customers who started bombing me with "can you send your FFL to PSA?".

Kinda the same way I found out about the Larue lower deal last fall.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#48]
PSA is hit or miss.  Same with Primary Arms Wholesale.  But my PSA rep has always attempted to beat the daily deal price if he can.  Most of the time he can even if it's just offering the listed price with free shipping.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By romad99:  PSA is hit or miss.  Same with Primary Arms Wholesale.  But my PSA rep has always attempted to beat the daily deal price if he can.  Most of the time he can even if it's just offering the listed price with free shipping.
View Quote

I love the Compact Dagger.  I gave my son one.  I went to SHOT last year specifically to become a PSA dealer b/c the Compact Dagger is nigh impossible to compete against at that price point.

When PSA is blowing out complete slides & frames below my cost...
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By romad99:
PSA is hit or miss.  Same with Primary Arms Wholesale.  But my PSA rep has always attempted to beat the daily deal price if he can.  Most of the time he can even if it's just offering the listed price with free shipping.
View Quote

How did you guys get listed with PSA as a Dealer?  I tried that and got nothing but crickets.
Do they require a storefront?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top