Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2023 2:04:40 PM EDT
Been browsing some older shotguns on Gunbroker. Ran across quite a few where the seller stated they wouldn't accept a C&R license (even though the gun meets the criteria). Just wondering if anyone knows why that is.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a .22 smoothbore on GB I want badly but he won't ship to C&R's because "UPS and FedEx don't ask for signatures anymore so I can't be sure the firearm gets to the correct person." Which I personally think is bullshit but his business, his rules.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 4:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#2]
IME, some FFLs just like to be dicks.  Some also will not accept an incoming from a non-FFL.   Some like to play the "I won't show you my license until you show me yours first" game.  Some have made up a stupid multi-page form they expect another FFL to fill out when shipping them a firearm.  Some will hold a check for 2 full weeks, despite the fact that, for decades, the max turnaround time on a check is 3 business days.   Shooters Outpost in Hooksett, NH won't sell mags or ammo without an ID (even if you are obviously WAY over the minimum age).    People like that can make up whatever additional rules they want for their business, but we already have too many restrictions without FFLs making up more rules.    I won't do any business with FFLs like that if they make up more rules not based on any law.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R2point0:
There's a .22 smoothbore on GB I want badly but he won't ship to C&R's because "UPS and FedEx don't ask for signatures anymore so I can't be sure the firearm gets to the correct person." Which I personally think is bullshit but his business, his rules.
View Quote
Yeah, completely false and totally irrelevant to whether it's C&R or FFL.  Of course UPS and FedEx still require signatures.  In fact FedEx has gone over the top and now demands to scan your ID if signature required.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sarge1400:
Been browsing some older shotguns on Gunbroker. Ran across quite a few where the seller stated they wouldn't accept a C&R license (even though the gun meets the criteria). Just wondering if anyone knows why that is.
View Quote

1. ATF FFL eZcheck doesn't work for 03 licenses.
2. Some dealers dont want the hassle of calling ATF to verify the validity of the buyers 03.
3. Cannot ship handguns to an 03 via USPS.
4. Dealer doesn't want to verify the C&R eligibility of the firearm himself.
5. Some people are stupid.
6. All of the above.

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
View Quote

He's an idiot.

As long as he chose the Adult Signature option when he printed his label, his liability ended. If UPS or FedEx fails to obtain that signature, thats on them, not the FFL.

And yes, some UPS/FedEx/USPS "Adult Signature Required" deliveries are left on porches and doorsteps without the driver getting that signature.
Happens several times a month on packages delivered to me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

1. ATF FFL eZcheck doesn't work for 03 licenses.
2. Some dealers dont want the hassle of calling ATF to verify the validity of the buyers 03.
3. Cannot ship handguns to an 03 via USPS.
4. Dealer doesn't want to verify the C&R eligibility of the firearm himself.
5. Some people are stupid.
6. All of the above.

View Quote

1 & 2: When I held an 01 license, the only verification I used was getting a copy (usually an email scan) of the receiving FFL. Has the requirement changed?
3: Ok, but that doesn't apply to long guns.
4: Lazy
5: see 4:
6. see 5:

Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sarge1400:

1 & 2: When I held an 01 license, the only verification I used was getting a copy (usually an email scan) of the receiving FFL. Has the requirement changed?
View Quote

A copy of an FFL is not verification of its validity.
Thats why ATF has FFL eZcheck.

Any licensee that ships without verifying the validity is playing with fire. A copy of an FFL is easily Photoshopped by any 5th grader.

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]

A copy of an FFL is not verification of its validity.
Thats why ATF has FFL eZcheck.

Any licensee that ships without verifying the validity is playing with fire. A copy of an FFL is easily Photoshopped by any 5th grader.

View Quote

Gotcha, thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]

He's an idiot.

As long as he chose the Adult Signature option when he printed his label, his liability ended. If UPS or FedEx fails to obtain that signature, thats on them, not the FFL.

And yes, some UPS/FedEx/USPS "Adult Signature Required" deliveries are left on porches and doorsteps without the driver getting that signature.
Happens several times a month on packages delivered to me.
View Quote

I do not think I have signed for a single adult signature required package in the last few months. Usually they leave the box on the front porch or one of my kids get it from them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I refuse to deal with FFLs who play those kinds of games.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top