Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2023 10:24:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1]
The Marlin 336Y “Spikehorn” with 16.25” barrel and 12.75” LOP was my favorite configuration. Such a handy little carbine. I wonder if Ruger will bring it back?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's hope. Those little buggers are incredibly handy and useful, especially with Skinner sights. I'd like to get another one to send off to JES for conversion to .375 Win.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully with a straight grip.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish I bought the youth guns years ago.  

I am short and like a dummy I had a bit of a bias against them and preferred regular guns.  Regular guns that I shot a lot, all summer long in a T shirt and did fine with them.   Then come winter when the cold weather clothes came out I’d fumble a bit on mounting the longer stocks.

I should have embraced Youth length a long time ago.  Their downside is they always had the cheaper birch stocks, no checkering or pressed checkering.   I am older now and have a few guns with McMillan stocks I ordered with shorter LOP.  

We may not see the lever guns other than .22s come in a Y size.   They’re no longer $350 starter guns but now trendy boutique harder to find guns that cost over a $k.  . Youth guns are now cheap plastic stocked economy bolt guns that even put a dent in the handyrifle break action sales.

We can hope though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PigBat:
Let's hope. Those little buggers are incredibly handy and useful, especially with Skinner sights. I'd like to get another one to send off to JES for conversion to .375 Win.
View Quote

RPP mo bettah!   https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-henry-rifle-peep-sights

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-kxlnizhy7c/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/275/1622/Cloverleaf_Peeps_brass_silver_black__86390.1630046517.jpg?c=2

The cloverleaf is very intriguing. Any comments on its usefulness v. a standard aperture?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]

The cloverleaf is very intriguing. Any comments on its usefulness v. a standard aperture?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-kxlnizhy7c/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/275/1622/Cloverleaf_Peeps_brass_silver_black__86390.1630046517.jpg?c=2

Have no idea; I've just got the peep.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s a Remlin but it’s still nice.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I am short and like a dummy I had a bit of a bias against them and preferred regular guns.  Regular guns that I shot a lot, all summer long in a T shirt and did fine with them.   Then come winter when the cold weather clothes came out I’d fumble a bit on mounting the longer stocks.

I should have embraced Youth length a long time ago.  Their downside is they always had the cheaper birch stocks, no checkering or pressed checkering.   I am older now and have a few guns with McMillan stocks I ordered with shorter LOP.  

We may not see the lever guns other than .22s come in a Y size.   They’re no longer $350 starter guns but now trendy boutique harder to find guns that cost over a $k.  . Youth guns are now cheap plastic stocked economy bolt guns that even put a dent in the handyrifle break action sales.

We can hope though.
View Quote

The old JM Spikehorn models have checkered walnut stocks.  Here are two, the gun on top was converted to straight stock.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kingstrider:

The old JM Spikehorn models have checkered walnut stocks.  Here are two, the gun on top was converted to straight stock.
https://i.imgur.com/y9y2uF9h.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kingstrider:
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I am short and like a dummy I had a bit of a bias against them and preferred regular guns.  Regular guns that I shot a lot, all summer long in a T shirt and did fine with them.   Then come winter when the cold weather clothes came out I'd fumble a bit on mounting the longer stocks.

We may not see the lever guns other than .22s come in a Y size.   They're no longer $350 starter guns but now trendy boutique harder to find guns that cost over a $k.  . Youth guns are now cheap plastic stocked economy bolt guns that even put a dent in the handyrifle break action sales.

We can hope though.

https://i.imgur.com/y9y2uF9h.jpg

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d be in for one, but I don’t want to spend more than $600-$700 on one. I think they are going to have to find a way to reduce costs on a few models, because when you can buy a kid a bolt action youth rifle with a nice scope for $1000, no one is going to buy a lever action with iron sights for similar money.

I bought an R92 .357 for an “always” rifle to pack around while bumming the backroads. I’d trade it for a 336Y in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
I’d be in for one, but I don’t want to spend more than $600-$700 on one. I think they are going to have to find a way to reduce costs on a few models, because when you can buy a kid a bolt action youth rifle with a nice scope for $1000, no one is going to buy a lever action with iron sights for similar money.

I bought an R92 .357 for an “always” rifle to pack around while bumming the backroads. I’d trade it for a 336Y in a heart beat.
View Quote

Same here. Not paying $1200 for a rifle that was $400 new a decade ago and $900 used now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be in for one, kids would love it... As would I
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

If you look far and wide on the used racks Marlin did make what I suspect were a very few 375WIN rifles.
A old gentleman was trying to sell me his . This was a gun with a few years on it but he had only hunted very carefully with it. I refused his very good offers because there was no ammo or cases available for it. Couple of years ago Starline kicked out some so I jumped on it.

They called it a Model 375 and mine has a 3/4 magazine with a 20" barrel
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
The new marlin/rugers I have seen have been beautiful guns , wouldn't expect Ruger is going to work very hard at creating a budget model , not the way they roll.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By nhsport:

If you look far and wide on the used racks Marlin did make what I suspect were a very few 375WIN rifles.
A old gentleman was trying to sell me his . This was a gun with a few years on it but he had only hunted very carefully with it. I refused his very good offers because there was no ammo or cases available for it. Couple of years ago Starline kicked out some so I jumped on it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nhsport:

I've got one of them in VG condition like yours, and I really like it. I also have a Winchester 94 Big Bore and a Ruger #3 in .375 Win. I like .375 Win
That's why I want another 336Y: the Model 375 is just too nice to start chopping on it, and .30-30 is just too damn useful to convert the one I have.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up a Marlin 1895 Trapper last night. Very impressed I bought my sons Marlin 1895 SBL 6 years ago. The quality of wood fitting and finish is better on this trapper.
I bought an 1895 Dark just before Marlin folded, biggest turd I had ever seen. Chamber looked like it had been cut with a cold chisel. I wound up getting a refund for it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:

View Quote

It wouldn't surprise me if Ruger went to investment casting on the Marlins.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:59:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#18]
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:

View Quote

I believe they did/do...
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By golfish:

I believe they did/do...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:

I believe they did/do...

The Ruger Marlins use forgings just like the originals did.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to see them bring back the 336 XLR.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Marlin 336Y that has 1 round thru it. Bought it for my daughter but no interest in shooting it...Don't see many around as said...
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Remlin 336Y.  It came with the laminate stocks.  I had to send it back because it would shoot 12”+ high at 100 yards with the rear sight bottomed out.  Remlin sent me a new rifle back that did not have the laminate stocks (at least the rifle came back with useable sights/barrel/accuracy).  I really wish I could find those laminate stocks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
I'd like to see them bring back the 336 XLR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Seems pretty gimmicky, your eye will fine the natural center of a rd aperture quickly.  Why add something that won't help but possibly cause your eye to focus on the cloverleaf and not the front sight?  If I read their description right, there is just a leaf spring that holds rear sight up, not a mechanical assembly.  Between that and all alum construction, I'd take the more robust and better looking skinner sight.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone have one of the trapper Rossi .30-30s yet?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The 336Y are $900-$1000 now ?
I was pissed when I had to pay $600 for one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

+1
very nice pair!
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey fellas, can't you buy another butt stock or cut down one to shorten the LOP?

I'm with ya OP, I'd like to see Ruger bring back all models.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey fellas, can't you buy another butt stock or cut down one to shorten the LOP?

I'm with ya OP, I'd like to see Ruger bring back all models.
View Quote

Yes, but the barrel and mag tube are also 4” shorter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

Yes, but the barrel and mag tube are also 4” shorter.
View Quote

So a rossi 95 trapper and cut lop down a smidge seems like the only option.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a mint JM one and a Remlin that works fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I ended up selling mine to a friend today.   It was a Remington made with the matte black finish and a no grain at all stock.   I replaced it with a beautiful JM 1894 .44 with no extra money out of pocket.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:23:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mmstephen] [#33]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 9mmstephen:
They announced it today:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_70906/
View Quote
$1500 MSRP!  

I paid $399 plus tax for my 336Y in 2019 at Academy Sports.  About the only thing I don't like about it:  Yep, the pistol grip.    But it's the slickest Marlin/Remlin action I ever got out at least 5 rifles, so there's that.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#35]
They announced it today:

View Quote

Full sized stock.

I'm pissed I didn't grab 4 when cdnn was blowing them out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Full sized stock.

I'm pissed I didn't grab 4 when cdnn was blowing them out.
View Quote

I sold mine in or around 2014.  Kicking myself in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#37]
They announced it today:

View Quote

They has been a huge supply shortage for years now, but when it cools off ouch.    If the prices are based on manufacturing vs demand the long term will not be great for Marlin.   MSRP used to not mean much but street prices have been up there in many cases.  
  I expect the 1895s to be up there. The 336Y not so much
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#38]
They are nuts if they think I’m paying that much money for a 16” .30-30. The whole appeal of the 336Y to me was that it was a compact, budget beater. If I was going to spend $1500 on one I’d get a really nice vintage Winchester.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top