Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 9:09:49 PM EDT

Since Ruger released the Gen two Ranch Rifles, will they still be making the Gen1 versions or will those get phased out?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I presumed that they probably already have.  But I’m not an expert, just a lowly fan of the American.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking at the Ruger website there are models showing limited availability and some showing unavailable now.  They may have already limited production and for some calibers stopped production and I suspect they're going to quietly phase the Gen I's out.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:30:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]
Nobody but Ruger knows for sure.  If you're the owner of a Gen I RAR, strongly suggest that you obtain spare parts for your particular rifle while it is still possible and easy to do so.  I understand that doing so, in the case of "factory-fitted" parts will require sending the rifle back to Ruger, as well as removing all user made mods/equipment.  That's how Ruger is, and I kinda understand.

OTOH, if there's anything "bugging" you about your Gen I RAR, now's the time to get it fixed while parts/expertise are still available.  Spare parts, particularly "fitted" spare parts, are like money in the bank; they grow "interest"/value as time goes by, as long as receipt is kept.  Selling off a discontinued rifle, as long as it has spare parts, is a LOT easier than selling off an "orphan" without parts/factory support.

Long ago, I sent my Mini-14 back to Ruger for purchase/"fitting" of some spare parts.  I mentioned, in passing, that the Mini was not as accurate as I'd hoped.  Ruger fitted and head spaced a new bolt--on their dime.  Mini shot a lot better afterwards.  A lot better.

Ruger certainly has discontinued some firearms, and Ruger parts/service support for them ranges from non-existent to "Limited", which often means critical "wear parts" are sold-out.  "Limited" eventually changes to "non-existent", if the parts are not common to subsequent firearms.

For that matter, any firearms owner who has not yet accumulated a stash of frequently replaced parts for their firearm is guilty of neglect.  I have NO doubt that the Antis would love to restrict/eliminate spare parts for firearms.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I think they would keep them around.  The main reason being that the Gen 1s and Gen 2s are meant to be at a different features and price point.  Some people simply want a plain and affordable rifle.

Look at the 10/22.  They keep introducing all kinds of variants, but they still sell the base models, probably hand over fist compared to the ones with all kinds of upgrades.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#5]
Whether Ruger decides to keep the Gen 1 RAR around may depend, in part, on how many parts the Gen 1 and Gen 2 rifles have in common.

Beyond a certain point, if it becomes uneconomical for Ruger to continue to offer the Gen 1 RAR, they may discontinue it.  Parts specific to the Gen 1 RAR will eventually dry up.  Parts common to both Gen 1 and Gen 2 rifles will continue to be offered until and unless Ruger makes a Gen 3 RAR, and the "process" begins yet again.

Again, suggest owners of any and all firearms take steps to obtain spare parts.  I own a Ruger P-90 pistol and took my own advice long ago.  I have a lifetime's worth of critical spare parts.  Good thing I did so, as such parts are pretty much unobtanium now that that pistol has been discontinued for some time.

Too bad, as that pistol is one of the most accurate semi-auto pistols I own, just as accurate as a S&W 626 revolver.  Maybe I got lucky and got an early model with a Bar-Sto barrel.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't wait for the closeouts at $300 a pop
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By craig24680:
I can't wait for the closeouts at $300 a pop
View Quote

I got my 308 american for $300 years ago.  That was just the going rate.  Closeout should be like $87.87.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:58:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#8]
Mentioned closeouts to my local gun shop,  He does not think it's going to happen, it's a wildy popular rifle.

He also thought they would NOT be discontinued, They are Ruger's answer to the Savage Axis line.

As for parts, I'm pretty sure the trigger and bolt body are the same judging from the quick look at a new one on his rack.  The safety is different and the reciever looks exactly the same.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Mentioned closeouts to my local gun shop,  He does not think it's going to happen, it's a wildy popular rifle.

He also thought they would NOT be discontinued, They are Ruger's answer to the Savage Axis line.

As for parts, I'm pretty sure the trigger and bolt body are the same judging from the quick look at a new one on his rack.  The safety is different and the reciever looks exactly the same.
View Quote
No offense, but your LGS is not likely to be well-informed as to future Corporate Ruger intentions.

I have plenty of firearms for which I bought spare parts while still available.  Some of them are now "Orphans" with no factory support.  OTOH, I have spare parts for them.

Always buy spare parts while such parts are available.  Their scant initial cost is "money in the bank" when selling obsolete/factory unsupported firearms.

I've said this before, but Biden Administration would love to shut-off spare firearms parts from being available.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top