Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2024 10:15:29 PM EDT
I bought a used socom 16 a few weeks ago and I really like it but i dislike the polymer stock. Will this socom 16 fit in a standard M1a wood stock? I really like the tanker look so that's what I'm going for.

Attachment Attached File

..and the rifle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine does!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, think I'll have any issues selling the old polymer stock?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#4]
With a GI stock you will have a gap where the selector switch went.

You can leave it, fill it, or put a dummy selector/lock in there.

ETA: I can't remember who is making the current production SAI wood stocks, but I've seen many recent production guns that are coming with really nice looking stocks.
Here is my Tanker (pretty much a SOCOM without the optic rail, in a standard SAI M1A stock. This one was really good, and had been lightly treated with Tung oil. I've worked it over a little more. The standard stocks don't have the selector cut out like the GI stocks. You can find some really nice GI stocks in the EE or similar on the M14 forums. I got one that looks like it was barely even used.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That's exactly what I'm looking for, I want the newer tanker look, so much nicer than the black plastic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
KYGUNCO had Scout Squad rifles with the black plastic stock for $1384.00 bucks and free shipping with the QP pricing so I snagged one but I'm NOT a fan of the plastic stocks so I'll be switching it out for a wood replacement.

I have a Winchester big red birch M14 stock on hand but those walnut stocks that Springfield is supplying lately look really nice and I'm debating springing for one of those beauties.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:
KYGUNCO had Scout Squad rifles with the black plastic stock for $1384.00 bucks and free shipping with the QP pricing so I snagged one but I'm NOT a fan of the plastic stocks so I'll be switching it out for a wood replacement.

I have a Winchester big red birch M14 stock on hand but those walnut stocks that Springfield is supplying lately look really nice and I'm debating springing for one of those beauties.  
View Quote

I came really close to picking one up because of that price.
As far as unloading the plastic stocks, there are some people that actually want them. If you're willing to put in the work, you can use aluminum rods or carbon fiber arrows and some epoxy/fiberglass resin to stiffen the barrel channel and improve the stock. I've seen some people by the cheapo stocks specifically for that.
I wouldn't expect to get a lot for the synthetic stock that is currently being used, but you may be able to find a buyer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My factory plastic stock and extra usgi stock are on a shelf in my garage, it costs as much to ship them as to sell them for I’d say.

Those tankers and socoms are hot, j almost got a socom but got the scout instead. And I freaking love it!

Get the stock you want and enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Mine has the selector fill in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

I came really close to picking one up because of that price.
As far as unloading the plastic stocks, there are some people that actually want them. If you're willing to put in the work, you can use aluminum rods or carbon fiber arrows and some epoxy/fiberglass resin to stiffen the barrel channel and improve the stock. I've seen some people by the cheapo stocks specifically for that.
I wouldn't expect to get a lot for the synthetic stock that is currently being used, but you may be able to find a buyer.
View Quote

Keep the OEM stock.  My Bush rifle came with a really nice wood stock.  I shot some Black Krylon on an older USGI synthetic stock, and put a short rail at 9 o'clock for mounting a light.  Having a beater stock for field use was a consideration, my field stock looks like I threw it down the driveway.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ghetto:
Awesome, think I'll have any issues selling the old polymer stock?
View Quote

@Fordtough25
I would be interested in it for a project.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:19:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#12]
What's wrong with the plastic?
You should stick with it, super practical and.....just kidding.
You want a wood stock.
As member above said, you will notice the selector switch gap fer sure.....
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top