Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2024 7:36:34 PM EDT
I acquired an old Winchester semi auto in .351. I shot it a year or so ago and it functioned fine. Plan to take it apart and clean it up.

Been reading up on it and most say to replace the buffer which is no longer available. Can maybe make one out of something. Suggestions?
LINK  to parts. Buffer is #5.

Would like to find some bullets and dies to try and reload. Some folks have used 556 cases which see like the least amount of labor to get to fit. It came with some ammo, little bit of brass, and a few mags.

Anyone have any experience with one? Tips for finding parts or reloading components?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know what the buffer is/was made of?  Considering the time frame, I am going to assume leather or felt.

Gorgeous gun, by the way!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea. Will get it apart next week and look but doubt I'll be able to tell.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:56:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garr] [#4]
I have had one for decades, i love showing it to uninformed leftys, who think mag fed, semi auto intermediate caliber rifles are a modern invention. When i point out it was manufactured in 1907, the expression on their faces is priceless.
I have no issues with the buffer, but i guess one could be made easy enough, I would purchase one of those buffers made for the AK's & cut it fit, or cut one from a thick piece of leather or try to make one out of an automotive suspension bushing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Relevant to my interests. I’ve got a 1905 that’s got a chip in the buffer so it probably needs a new one. I also couldn’t manage to get the spring guide loose so that’s a problem too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 57Octane:
Relevant to my interests. I've got a 1905 that's got a chip in the buffer so it probably needs a new one. I also couldn't manage to get the spring guide loose so that's a problem too.
View Quote
Any idea what it is made of?

Leather, felt...gutta percha? ( or however you spell that )
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
When I owned one, I replaced the buffer (I picked one up at Numrich when they had them) It appeared to be a composite leather - almost like a cross between cork and leather.  I replaced it following a YouTube video as it wasn't real easy to do but got it done.

I'm fairly certain one could make one from a urethane rubber of similar thickness - it is going to prevent hammering of the bolt carrier - amazing its just a simple weighted carrier "blowback" gun (no locked breach).

Many of these will have cracked stocks and fore-ends because someone didn't swap out the buffer and it cracked with the force.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
You could guy hard cast .355s or .357s and size them down
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Once I get the buffer removed I may try and find something locally.

I was unaware you could size bullets until last week.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got it apart and it took some doing. Probably hasn't been apart on 50 years :)

The rod was not letting loose even with Kroil and heat. Screwdriver would just slip out of the groove. Stuffed some wood in the action to keep the rod out of the end of the bolt and used a big set of vice grips to turn the rod. It'll be a real chore getting it back in!

Before disassembly you can see no gap where the buffer should be providing a gap to prevent metal on metal during cycling.
Attachment Attached File

'Smif' tools:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Buffer looked decent until I dug it out of there, then it came apart.

Will try and find some delrin to replace it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#11]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#12]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep us posted. This will be a cool project.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Unsure what would be ideal for a replacment.
Guy who I got it from found what look like a buffer in the bottom of his safe and is sending it to me. Says it's 'slightly magnetic' which may be it from the info in this video:
Winchester Self Loader recoil spring reinstall.

If not delrin should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:06:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking that an automotive "anti-sway bar end link bushing", made from either rubber or polyurethane, could be used for this buffer. The O.D. of the bushing might need to be reduced, unless you find one for a very small vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Made a crude buffer out of delrin. Took a couple hours and 3 attempts to get it all together (using the video posted above) trying different tricks and tools. Not a fun job.
Now I am having issues getting the for end on. Will work on it more another time.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how long a TPU printed buffer would last.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DuneShoot] [#20]
Was having issues getting the front cocking lever on due to the spring wanting to bind. Finally dawned on me to use a paperclip to hold it back.
She's together and we will see if I die tomorrow.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

351 Win, 556, 300BO
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]
That is one bad round. First thing that came to mind when I saw it was 'Thumper'.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:

351 Win, 556, 300BO
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247601/IMG_0281_JPG-3199490.JPG
View Quote

A True (& one of the first, intermediate power cartridges) assault weapon cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm surprised at how cheap these are on gunbroker
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I'm surprised at how cheap these are on gunbroker
View Quote

Finding the ammo is the hardest part of owning one.
Get one now before the collectors catch on!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't personally buy one but it is fun to shoot. Put 10 rounds through it with no issues.
Recoil is pretty light probably due to the huge bolt. It's fun for sure!
Rear sight is loose but the screw holding it on is tight.
The front cocking rod is supposed to be able to be twisted (when compressed) to lock the bolt open but I'm not able to twist it with my fingers.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top