Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2024 1:05:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CookieMonsters]
I have a 20s model 1897 takedown that's been converted to a trench gun. The problem is, whomever converted it used a non-takedown magazine plug in the bayonet lug/heat shield. From what I'm reading, there isn't one for the takedown, as the "real" trench guns were solid-frame models. So, my magazine tub just spins freely. I found an archived thread where a member here made a takedown plug himself. I'm trying to track down that user and see if I can hire them to make one for me. Or, If anyone here knows of another shop that can create what I need? All my Google-ing is coming up dry.

Here is the archived thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Winchester-1897-takedown----trench-gun-conversion-/1-547946/
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a machinist that will drill a hole and press fit a stud into the center of a takedown magazine plug.
Only other way is to drill and tap a solid frame mag plug and screw it into place.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dferg10] [#2]
This is what you need:

Winchester 1897 magazine plug
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have that one. I need one specific to a takedown model.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#4]
I have studied this before.  I will try to wrap my head around it when I am not drinking tomorrow AM.

I was going to make this one into a trench gun.  Once I cut the barrel, I just stopped.  I like it this way.  I studied the plug thing and planned to make my own.  

Nevermind.  That thread is exactly what I remembered.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Found a takedown specific mag plug on ebay, and forgot about it last night. So I'm still on the hunt for the OP of the linked thread, above, or if anyone else can help machine a plug for me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a solid frame plug. I need a takedown plug.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a solid-frame plug to convert a Model 12 Winchester.  

For what it's worth, ALL the M12s were takedowns.  No problem with the fit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TrashBandit:
I used a solid-frame plug to convert a Model 12 Winchester.  

For what it's worth, ALL the M12s were takedowns.  No problem with the fit.
View Quote

So, it's okay that the mag tube spins freely? I know it's not going anywhere as it's capped by the lug; I just like it more secure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMALITE-FAN] [#10]
WW 1 trench guns whe r solid frame with six rows of holes in the handgaurd.

WW2 where solid frame but the majority where takedown.

The heat shield bayonet lug required the non takedown end cap to index into the hole behind the lug.

The non take down clamp was eliminated as well as the solid frame clamp as the heat/bayonet combo used the pin as well as groove cut for the cross screws to index it.

Not all legit trench or riot guns had ordnance markings. Serial number range was the best indicator.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CookieMonsters:

So, it's okay that the mag tube spins freely? I know it's not going anywhere as it's capped by the lug; I just like it more secure.
View Quote

No problem at all.  

If you're bothered by it and have a mill or a drill press (or steady hands) it'd be a pretty easy fix to put a stabilizing pin above the stud.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:03:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#12]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
WW 1 trench guns whe r solid frame with six rows of holes in the handgaurd.

WW2 where solid frame but the majority where takedown.

The heat shield bayonet lug required the non takedown end cap to index into the hole behind the lug.

The non take down clamp was eliminated as well as the solid frame clamp as the heat/bayonet combo used the pin as well as groove cut for the cross screws to index it.

Not all legit trench or riot guns had ordnance markings. Serial number range was the best indicator.
View Quote

From what I’ve read all WWI era guns were solid frame and all WWII production were takedown. If it’s a solid frame gun with WWII era serials it was either a sporting gun or a riot gun with ord markings, not a trench originally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top