Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 9:26:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
Just saw the local Walmart had some of this for $21.88/10rds, anybody ever try it out?  Would this be a good HD round, specifically for an 18.5" Mossberg 590?  (I'm a shotgun noob)

Conversely, as I'm doing more research, are mini-shells the way to go nowadays?

Winchester Defender 2.75" Slug/00 Buck

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I sold a lot of both as an FFL . The Defender line had a lot of fans. The mini shells did too, but depending on what you're shooting it out of you need an adapter
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
I sold a lot of both as an FFL . The Defender line had a lot of fans. The mini shells did too, but depending on what you're shooting it out of you need an adapter
View Quote

Yeah, I just ordered my first shotgun so I want to try out all sorts of stuff.  The mini-shells seem like the new hotness.  I figured I'd pick this up:

UNIVERSAL MINISHELL ADAPTER/MAG FOLLOWER KIT FOR MOSSBERG PUMP SHOTGUNS
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#3]
I wouldn't use a 12 gauge slug for home defense (esp in an urban or suburban environment).  I like #4 buck for close quarters defense, esp inside the home.  In my experience, the Federal #4 buck mini shells pattern tight (tighter than the regular 2 3/4" #4 buck loads in my experience).  I would feel very confident using them within 15 yards, you also get increased magazine capacity, less recoil, and less muzzle blast / flash indoors.  15 pellets of #4 buck in a 12 gauge mini shell is very comparable in power and payload to non magnum 20 gauge buckshot loads.

Standard buckshot loads work too, though I'd adjust the pellet size depending on the specific conditions (urban vs rural, kids / others in the home, etc).  I'm also a fan of heavy birdshot for close in (under 10 yards) urban / hotel / apartment defense.  ATI has a nice standard pressure 2 3/4" load of one ounce of lead BBs (more energy than steel).  I guarantee that within 7 yards, even from a cylinder bore, that will stop any unarmed 2 legged threat with greatly decreased risk of penetration through walls, etc.  IF your shotgun has the ability to accept chokes, then it's that much more devastating with a full+ constriction (with even greater effective range).  Of course standard #4 buck works great too, as does 00 if over penetration is less of a concern.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blain:
I wouldn't use a 12 gauge slug for home defense (esp in an urban or suburban environment).  I like #4 buck for close quarters defense, esp inside the home.  In my experience, the Federal #4 buck mini shells pattern tight (tighter than the regular 2 3/4" #4 buck loads in my experience).  I would feel very confident using them within 15 yards, you also get increased magazine capacity, less recoil, and less muzzle blast / flash indoors.  15 pellets of #4 buck in a 12 gauge mini shell is very comparable in power and payload to non magnum 20 gauge buckshot loads.

Standard buckshot loads work too, though I'd adjust the pellet size depending on the specific conditions (urban vs rural, kids / others in the home, etc).  I'm also a fan of heavy birdshot for close in (under 10 yards) urban / hotel / apartment defense.  ATI has a nice standard pressure 2 3/4" load of one ounce of lead BBs (more energy than steel).  I guarantee that within 7 yards, even from a cylinder bore, that will stop any unarmed 2 legged threat with greatly decreased risk of penetration through walls, etc.  IF your shotgun has the ability to accept chokes, then it's that much more devastating with a full+ constriction (with even greater effective range).  Of course standard #4 buck works great too, as does 00 if over penetration is less of a concern.
View Quote

Great info and match a lot of what I've been reading lately.  Was just looking at ordering 100 of these, seems like a decent deal:

Federal Shorty Shotshell Ammunition 12 Gauge 1-3/4" #4 Buckshot 15 Pellets

Might still pick up that slug/buck shot combo for fun :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top