Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2023 5:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail]
Unsurprisingly the Model 100's firing pin is absolutely unobtainable for any reasonable price. I'm in need of one but I can just turn one myself if I had the dimensions.

Does anyone happen to have a drawing of one or one which you could measure for me? I'd need the major diameters and the overall length.

ETA: And the firing pin spring length/wire diameter too. Odd that both of these items are difficult to find.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there heat threating specs that come into play when making this firing pin?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've bought parts from Nu-line years ago.  Looks like their webpage is 'under construction' at the moment.  I seem to recall they had a lot of m100 stuff.

https://nulineguns.com/

I have one in a .308 win.  I'm not sure how involved it is to get to the firing pin.  It's been some time since I took it apart.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#3]
This might help (they should still have firing pins out there):

=============================

WINCHESTER MODEL 100 FIRING PIN RECALL – A notice dated 7-1990 relates the following

“PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND REPLACEMENT NOTICE.

Attention owners of Winchester model 100 rifles and carbines please read this notice. In July of 1990 the following product safety warning was issued by Winchester. It has come to our attention that the firing pin in the Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine may break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing severe damage to the firearm and possibly injury or death to the shooter and bystander.

“WARNING DO NOT SHOOT YOUR WINCHESTER MODEL 100 RIFLE OR CARBINE.

Repair and replacement.  A new firing pin has been designed to replace the firing pin originally made for the Winchester Model 100 Rifle and Carbine. The new firing pins will be available in April 1991. If you own a Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine, please send your firearm to one of the authorized Winchester Model 100 Firing Pin Replacement Centers indicated below.

Your Winchester Model 100 firearm will be inspected, the firing pin replaced and tested and the firearm returned to you. The inspection, replacement/testing and return postage will be accomplished at no cost to you. If other repair or maintenance work is authorized by you to be performed on the firearm when the firing pin is replaced, such work shall be at your cost.”

R. Long Gunsmiths
2007 Brook Road North
Cobourg, Ontario K9A4W4
Canada

Frank LeFever & Sons
RD 2 Box 31
Lee Center, NY 13363
USA

Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Avenue
Westminister, CA 92683
USA

(Where I got mine from)
Nu Line Guns
1053 Caulks Hill Road
Harvester, MO 63303
USA

If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Winchester Product Service 1-800-852-5734 or write to:

Winchester Firing Pin Replacement Notice
PO Box 10
Cottage Hills, Illinois 62018
Attention Product Service Dept.”
=================================

This is the replacement pin:

"The following is Wisner's rendition & info on the subject.

"The difference in the old firing pin and the new one is as follows.  The old replaced style, was totally lathe tuned (round).  While the new recall style is similar in lathe turning on the front and back, but in the front midsection it has two flats milled, one on each side.  This makes the center section stronger.  Also replaced is the bolt sleeve lock pin  (firing pin guide) which was made to accommodate this different shaped firing pin

"Part number for the new parts are, firing pin =1391ND, bolt sleeve locking pin =1491ND

"The word was at the time this recall was in process was that if the firing pin would break at the mid section and still remain in the gun as two pieces, the possibility of a premature discharge before the bolt was locked was possible.  This apparently was caused by the firing pin tip (now not having the benefit of the retracting spring) to be stuck forward, and thereby slam-firing the cartridge upon chambering.

"The responsibility for the recall apparently was on Olin, as they were the parent company AT THE TIME of manufacture.  Olin set up regional recall centers at three established US gunshops. There was a manufacturing delay in the replacement firing pins, and a BACKLOG occurred, also some collectors did not like the idea of shipping their guns long distances.  Olin then also authorized other warranty gunshops to make the required alterations.  Upon completion of the recall, the shops were to test fire the firearm and to stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen thru the magazine well with the bolt retracted. The letter “B” represented Bolsa Gunsmithing, “L” was Lefever, and “N” was for Nu-line Guns.  The letter “X” apparently was for all the other authorized shops.  However this identification information did not get communicated to some of the smaller shops at the start of the project.  Therefore, the only way to tell if the gun as been modified, if the ”letter” is not present, is to take the barrel & action out of the stock, remove the trigger guard assembly and the try to rotate the firing pin by twisting it.  If it does rotate, then the firing pin recall HAS NOT been performed."

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
A call to Winchester basically resulted in me being told to pound sand as far as a recall unfortunately. This receiver had been used for a recall at some point in the past even though it has a round style FP retainer.

I don't plan to make it out of crappy steel or screw up the heat treat - O1 will work fine - but I am looking for the dimensions of the round type if anyone has one handy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I've bought parts from Nu-line years ago.  Looks like their webpage is 'under construction' at the moment.  I seem to recall they had a lot of m100 stuff.

https://nulineguns.com/

I have one in a .308 win.  I'm not sure how involved it is to get to the firing pin.  It's been some time since I took it apart.
View Quote

@johnh57

If you perhaps have time this weekend would you be willing to get the needed measurements from your rifle?

In the meantime I've sent out messages to the various places which might possibly have the FP on hand. Can't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:08:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#6]
Went thru this something like 20 years ago.. It's pretty obvious when the thing jams up.
Full auto in a .284 is something to experience.  

It took me months back then to find one, I had to send the bolt to a place called Nu-Line guns.  I cannot imagine how difficult it is today.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:16:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#7]
Poppert's has two in stock (but I don't know how old the site is and if it's an archived page):

https://poppertsgunparts.com/product/winchester-model-100-firing-pin/
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Poppert's has two in stock (but I don't know how old the site is and if it's an archived page):

https://poppertsgunparts.com/product/winchester-model-100-firing-pin/
View Quote

Interesting! That would at least give me something to copy directly in a known-good material.

Have you ever dealt with them? The name sounds somewhat familiar but I can't recall ever doing business with them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

@johnh57

If you perhaps have time this weekend would you be willing to get the needed measurements from your rifle?

In the meantime I've sent out messages to the various places which might possibly have the FP on hand. Can't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion!
View Quote

I'll give it a try.  I know mine is the re-designed firing pin with the flat section.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

I'll give it a try.  I know mine is the re-designed firing pin with the flat section.
View Quote

No worries! You can safely ignore measuring that. I'll just turn that section round to match the retainer in my bolt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If not measurements does anyone happen to have another source for the firing pin? I waited too long and Poppert's is out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I apologize - got totally sidetracked by a project at the trap club.  I'll give it another go tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#13]
Attachment Attached File

I get 0.078" tip x .250

Taper to 0.0975 over .1"

0.0975 to 0.720 from tip

Radius to 0.240 Dia.  0.855 from tip.  

.240 Dia to 1.710 from tip.

.240 Dia is really a flat. 0.975 x .240.  Full dia to about 0.055 forward of the 1.710 dim.

Reduced shank is 0.122 diameter. Ends at 2.105 from tip

Button end is 0.374 Dia. Begins at 3.344 from tip

Overall length 3.587
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#14]
Thank you very much! I genuinely appreciate it.

ETA: Wire diameter and spring length uncompressed? I'll need to form at least one of those too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:09:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#15]
.0215 wire

1.150 uncompressed length

ETA: double checked some measurements this morning - made a couple changes to what I originally posted.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe that Winchester handed off 100% of their parts and responsibility for the recall, to Numrich or some other gun parts company.  I had one years ago and I called them.  They mailed me the firing pin for free.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
I believe that Winchester handed off 100% of their parts and responsibility for the recall, to Numrich or some other gun parts company.  I had one years ago and I called them.  They mailed me the firing pin for free.  

View Quote

Unfortunately they looked up the number on this one and basically told me it had been fixed in the 90s. Meanwhile the physical gun still has the factory FP piece that shows it having a round FP and not the new style. Whatever! I'll make my own.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]
@johnh57

Success! I just fired a full magazine off without a hitch. I couldn't have done it without your assistance. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Unsurprisingly the Model 100's firing pin is absolutely unobtainable for any reasonable price. I'm in need of one but I can just turn one myself if I had the dimensions.

Does anyone happen to have a drawing of one or one which you could measure for me? I'd need the major diameters and the overall length.

ETA: And the firing pin spring length/wire diameter too. Odd that both of these items are difficult to find.
View Quote

I ran across this post.  Thought I would make a proper drawing based off the dimensions given by John57.

@John57 - Thanks for those dimensions BTW.

Attached is my drawing and there is a link at the bottom if you want to download it.

Thanks.

" />

Firing Pin Drawing

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Mighty kind of you to do! I've reuploaded your drawing to Imgur to post it here.

Hopefully that'll make anyone's life a lot easier in the future should they happen across this while searching for the dimensions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top