Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2024 11:05:41 AM EDT
Now that the Fat Cat has been out a while how does everyone feel about it versus the Polonium K?  Also keep in mind they are about identical in price with no “free” tax stamp.  I’ll be using it on 10.3, 11.3 and a 12.5 barrel 5.56 SBR’s.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10milg29] [#1]
YHM is the "Harbor Freight" of the suppressor world. It's good for one, maybe two time use and that's about it. You da mn sure don't want to be seen using it.

But seriously...get the Polonium
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10milg29:
YHM is the "Harbor Freight" of the suppressor world. It's good for one, maybe two time use and that's about it. You da mn sure don't want to be seen using it.

View Quote

FPWW

First post was weak.  Never shot either of those but I have shot plenty through YHM cans.  Not the best, not the worst.  They take a beating and they suppress alright.  Back pressure on the older stuff was a bit much but not crazy for their generation.  I regret my Sierra5.  I don't regret any YHM cans.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are good probably. I lean towards the Polo K cause A) I have a full size Polo and B) Andrew and his crew are dope and I like supporting them
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I’ve used my YHM R9 about a dozen times, should I throw it in the trash and buy something more better?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
YHM is the Glock 19 of suppressors.

Do a very good job, no frills, no soul.  Well rounded and does an A-/B+ at everything but its not an A+ at any one thing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10milg29] [#6]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
YHM is the Glock 19 of suppressors.

Do a very good job, no frills, no soul.  Well rounded and does an A-/B+ at everything but its not an A+ at any one thing.
View Quote

Just as good as a RC3 right? Lol

Heavy
Mounts that bring accuracy issues
Poor warranty
Mediocre suppression at best
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:04:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#7]
no soul?  uh what?
Its a suppressor not a fashion statement.
What suppressor specifically has soul?

How does one get suppressor soul?
Could someone please point me to a cool suppressor?
I would hate to be seen in public with a black tube that wasnt cool to other black tubers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Another fine contribution from 10milg29

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By peachy:

Another fine contribution from 10milg29

View Quote

Another peachy microaggression?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I have cans from both OCL and YHM, and like them both. I’ll be getting a Fat Cat sometime soon, but not necessarily a Polo K. I doubt there’s anything really bad about the Polo K, I just find the thiccness of the Fat Cat more intriguing at this stage in my collection.

People that have vocal, strong negative opinions about YHM cans usually have extremely limited relevant experience. There are certainly things that other cans do better, but the comparison is often apples and oranges. Like the Turbo K is flashier than a RC2, for example, and heavier than an Ultra 5. YHM is able to keep a very low price point because they also manufacture other stuff, have been making cans a long time, and don’t pay for a fuckpile of marketing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Another peachy microaggression?
View Quote

Well let’s walk through it then. Do you honestly believe a YHM product is “good for one, maybe two time use and that's about it”?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:30:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10milg29] [#12]

Well let’s walk through it then. Do you honestly believe a YHM product is “good for one, maybe two time use and that's about it”?
View Quote

Maybe you missed the "but seriously" part (implicit humor).

I think the velcro on your shoes is a little tight!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Heavy
Poor warranty
View Quote

Comparing it to a 1800.00 suppressor lol. You really think a RC3 is worth 1800.00? You’re paying about 1k extra for the name.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Budget Price, High End Performance: OCL Polonium K review

No experience with the YHM lineup, but I really like my Polonium K. Hoping to get a Turbo K RB out at some point to review, but we’ll have to see. The Polonium K is pretty darn quiet for how small it is; if it the Fat Cat is similarly quiet, the only thing that would make me consider it would be if the backpressure was noticeably lower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Maybe you missed the "but seriously" part (implicit humor).

I think the velcro on your shoes is a little tight!
View Quote

So that answer is a “no.” Hence questioning the value of said contribution.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10milg29] [#16]

So that answer is a “no.” Hence questioning the value of said contribution.
View Quote

YHM (honestly)

Heavy
Poor warranty

The Resonator K is the WORST suppressor I've ever shot. The Turbo lineup didn't impress me much. I found excessive backpressure for mediocre suppression. I have not shot the "RB" line, but I imagine they further compromised sound for gas reduction.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m going with the Polonium K, I just hate the wait to back order.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]

YHM (honestly)

Heavy
Poor warranty

The Resonator K is the WORST suppressor I've ever shot. The Turbo lineup didn't impress me much. I found excessive backpressure for mediocre suppression. I have not shot the "RB" line, but I imagine they further compromised sound for gas reduction.
View Quote

There are current K cans much louder than the Resonator K.  Could be host / caliber dependent though.  Biggest dog I’ve personally heard for its size and weight was a Huntertownarms AK can.  

I wonder which of these two suppresses flash better.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a turbo k rb, fat cat and polo k.

All on rearden mounts and a couple weeks ago I spent an hour shooting a couple rounds through one, swapping it and repeating over and over.  

I was using an 11.5 with AGB and wearing peltors.

Fat cat sounded the best, then polo K and then turbo.  

I'd swap my turbo for a polo k in an instant.  Fat cat sounds great.  Polo is a great can too.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Seriously? Who says this? Love my R9. Yhm makes very good cans.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty much anything YHM makes is solid. It may not be Gucci or the sexiest, but their stuff works well and is durable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#22]

YHM (honestly)

Heavy
Poor warranty

View Quote

SRX mounts fix almost all of those issues.

The resonator is a K can for .308. It’s going to have huge drawbacks no matter who makes it.

Yhm makes quality stuff. I’m waiting on a jailed fat cat currently. The polo k is a great choice as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I used my fat cat in a gas gun match today, on an 18 inch barrel.

I had at least 10 people ask me what can it was, they thought it was a flash can until they heard it. I heard several people say while I was shooting " man that's hearing safe ".

There was a guy with a mini rc2, he said the fat car sounded better than his rc2. Granted he had it on a 16 v my 18 inch.

Btw with the rtv mod I had no problems with gas to the face even on 20 round strings of fire, so the fat cat is not too bad for back pressure. The funny one is they were putting the timer as close as they could to the ejection port and the timer still missed some shots.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Heavy
Poor warranty
View Quote

Well my fat cat is 10 oz, which is 7 oz lighter than an rc3
Funny, my fat cat made my gas gun more accurate, cut the group size by 30%
No idea about the warranty, but I could buy 3 fat cats v 1 rc3.
guy at a match today said my fat cat was quieter than his rc2 ( I know you said rc3 )
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn do I love me some harbor freight
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By walldj45:
I have a turbo k rb, fat cat and polo k.

All on rearden mounts and a couple weeks ago I spent an hour shooting a couple rounds through one, swapping it and repeating over and over.  

I was using an 11.5 with AGB and wearing peltors.

Fat cat sounded the best, then polo K and then turbo.  

I'd swap my turbo for a polo k in an instant.  Fat cat sounds great.  Polo is a great can too.  

View Quote
I just bought a second Turbo K (an RB this time).

With an Ecco Ti Plan A adapter, the Turbo K is 9 7/8oz.  The Polo K is considerably heavier than that.

Posted just to illustrate that we all have different priorities.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Just backordered the Polonium K through Silencer Shop.  I’m in KY and supporting a local company feels right.  Supposedly they fulfill back orders through Silencer Shop within a month or so typically and advise to back order as they will never be in stock.  I was close to buying the full size Polonium currently in stock from CA, but this is my first can (amazing considering how long I’ve been an AR owner) and I want to be able to move it from rifle to rifle without retuning too much.  I have a feeling I’ll buy a full size too and make it a dedicated direct thread can on one of my SBR’s.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#28]

YHM (honestly)

Heavy
Poor warranty

View Quote

You know the newer stuff like the FatCat comes with the SRX taper mount, right?
I also never experienced the issues you have, but you did buy the known worst performing YHM can after all.
Were you an early adopter or did you not do your research?
I've got an older 30cal Ti Phantom that sounds great but all accounts and isn't a boat anchor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

You know the newer stuff like the FatCat comes with the SRX taper mount, right?
I also never experienced the issues you have, but you did buy the known worst performing YHM can after all.
Were you an early adopter or did you not do your research?
I've got an older 30cal Ti Phantom that sounds great but all accounts and isn't a boat anchor.
View Quote

I do not own a YHM product. I did plenty of research.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#30]

Heavy
Poor warranty
View Quote

I could see your first two points. The secondary retention sometimes doesn't align with taper lock, but is easily fixed in two minutes with a file.

But you lost me at mediocre suppression lol. His description was spot on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:16:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#31]

View Quote

Ah that makes much more sense then.

You were misinformed because suppression is what they got right.  

The downfalls are weight and some people struggled with the secondary retention working loose. Though with minimal mechanical ability they can be made to latch tight in about 5 minutes by disassembling the mount and opening the inner collar a couple thousands with a file. Though everyone seems to be going sRx now so it's a non issue.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:23:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#32]

YHM (honestly)

Heavy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

YHM (honestly)

Heavy
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

The downfalls are weight and some people struggled with the secondary retention working loose. Though with minimal mechanical ability they can be made to latch tight in about 5 minutes by disassembling the mount and opening the inner collar a couple thousands with a file.

It's a Hub can. Switching to a different mount solves both problems. Sell the YHM mounts on EE.

I don't know why people think they have to keep the mounts that come with the cans.

Buying a good mount and buying a good suppressors are different purchasing decisions.  Honestly, I wish cans were all Hub and just didn't come with mounts at all.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:25:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#33]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

It's a Hub can. Switching to a different mount solves both problems. Sell the YHM mounts on EE.

I don't know why people think they have to keep the mounts that come with the cans.

View Quote

I have the earlier versions without hubs. That's why...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

I have the earlier versions without hubs. That's why...
View Quote
Yeah, in that case you're stuck unless you get someone like Ecco Machine to convert it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, in that case you're stuck unless you get someone like Ecco Machine to convert it.
View Quote

No need to. As I mentioned It's easily modified and fixed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Buying a good mount and buying a good suppressors are different purchasing decisions.  Honestly, I wish cans were all Hub and just didn't come with mounts.

View Quote

Because Harbor Freight voids your warranty if you dont use Harbor Freight mounts...that's why
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Because Harbor Freight voids your warranty if you dont use Harbor Freight mounts...that's why
View Quote

There is that, but you can still use YHM SRX instead of the heavy Phantom mount.  It's just as good as any other simple taper mount.

For the low price of YHM cans I choose to just risk it and use Griffin Plan A. I know it's a good mount and I know my alignment is good.  I'll take my chances.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:36:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#38]

View Quote

Just put the factory hub back on when you send it in for warranty then lol.

BTW the reason they did this is because guys were switching to other mounting systems, not locking the can properly, and shooting them downrange.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:47:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#39]

View Quote

I just spoke to YHM’s warranty dept to see if this is true, since I own one and use it with Griffin Taper and A2 mounts on a select-fire gun. The answer is…sort of, but not really. Your warranty is void if the problem is specifically caused by the mount. The example the dude used is if a mount is defective, causing a baffle strike, or if a lug shears off an adapter causing a strike. But he said that denying the warranty claim is not default-mode. If my can blows up from a bad weld, in an  example he used, they will warranty it. I personally think that might be a reasonable warranty policy. Do you personally know of anyone that has had a YHM warranty claim denied?

You’re really a shining example of my claim that vocal YHM haters usually don’t have relevant experience.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

I personally think that might be a reasonable warranty policy. Do you personally know of anyone that has had a YHM warranty claim denied?

You’re really a shining example of my claim that vocal YHM haters usually don’t have relevant experience.
View Quote
Agreed. I think YHM is reasonable.

I'm also not concerned about their quality.  I've used YHM products for decades before buying their cans. They make good stuff.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Buying a good mount and buying a good suppressors are different purchasing decisions.  Honestly, I wish cans were all Hub and just didn't come with mounts.

YHM has the same warranty as every other manufacturer regarding damage resulting from third part mounts.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#42]

I just spoke to YHM’s warranty dept to see if this is true, since I own one and use it with Griffin Taper and A2 mounts on a select-fire gun. The answer is…sort of, but not really. Your warranty is void if the problem is specifically caused by the mount. The example the dude used is if a mount is defective, causing a baffle strike, or if a lug shears off an adapter causing a strike. But he said that denying the warranty claim is not default-mode. If my can blows up from a bad weld, in an  example he used, they will warranty it. I personally think that might be a reasonable warranty policy. Do you personally know of anyone that has had a YHM warranty claim denied?

View Quote

Quite presumptuous aren't you? Because I've chosen not to purchase YHM products doesn't mean I don't have experience with them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quite presumptuous aren't you? Because I've chosen not to purchase YHM products doesn't mean I don't have experience with them.
View All Quotes

Warranty experience is likely pretty rare for most of us but I suspect companies may see it increasing with an expanding market.  The era of no questions asked is going to be subject to the other guys’ behavior. YHM putting users on notice not to be stupid might be a good thing for them.

There are some interesting trade offs that have to do with risk tolerance, experience and locus of control.

A good parallel is optics. For the cost of an ACOG a casual user might prefer to buy 3 Primary Vort Swamp lifetime warranty Hubblelite Justasgoodz.  Do 3 cheapese scopes provide higher fleet reliability than one certified grunt-tough item?  Maybe.  Now imagine an 8-12 week country wide parcel-transit strike.  Often redundancy / replacements trumps single item robustness.  Quantity has a quality all its own.  

Less expensive is easier to build redundancy from.  YHM could increase prices to cover no fault insurance, but then all the users who don’t need that coverage lose.

Company viability and diversification is another aspect to the bet. YHM is diversified and established and much of their capital equipment has paid for itself already.  Unless Reming & Wesson buys them they will likely be around for wear out or general support.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#44]
YHM makes quality cans at a great price. Some are a little heavy but they are extremely durable. Suppression is very good on lots of their cans. I have a bunch of silencers from a bunch of manufacturers and find that the only thing YHM is lower on than the others is price. I find I use my YHM cans more than any others I have. They are not perfect, but neither are my others that are significantly more expensive. Overall they are a very good value and I hear of very few quality issues. I think the other people’s mount issue is overblown, it could happen, but if you check your shit you should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Good, more for us poors lol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:12:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earax] [#46]
A buddy of mine has an old 30 cal Phantom Titanium that just developed a hairline crack in the middle of the tube. The suppressor is about 13 years old and has several thousand rounds on it. YHM is replacing the can for him with a Resonator R2 for free (minus the new tax stamp). Not bad considering how old the can is.

My YHM phantom 556 is the same age, 13 years old, and is still going strong. I have somewhere between 10,000 rounds on it I'd guess.

My original and still most used FH. Had to remove it briefly because I blew up a barrel. There's a thread on that event elsewhere on the site.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:04:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WantsAnRRA] [#47]
While I might not have bought my Resonator K in 2024 with our current options, I bought it in 2020. And even though it’s not a “quiet” can, it made a big enough difference to convince both my brother and cousin to go buy cans for their hunting rifles.

It weighs right around 10 oz with a DA Xeno mount. Pretty great form factor if you ask me!

ETA I also wrestle with the ‘fat cat vs Polo K’ internal debate. Probably just gonna get both eventually.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
ETA I also wrestle with the ‘fat cat vs Polo K’ internal debate. Probably just gonna get both eventually.
View Quote

Don't forget the Ecco 5x5, just to further muddy the water
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Love my Polonium K. Very well built and good sound.
Top Top