Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2023 11:22:10 PM EDT
I have savage factory heavy barrel in .223 remington........barrel has some pitting...........anyone know of someone who can rechamber this barrel and bore to 300 AAC BLK..........looking to have it done cheap .......I can purchase a stainless replacement barrel from ER Shaw for like 300 bucks.............so I don't want to spend a lot of money when I can just do the Shaw route..........
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked bartlein about chamber setback, they said don't do it, the entire barrel wears... Not positive  it does, but I respect their opinion on it...With that said, there is no way I spend 150-200 plus dollars for a chamber setback on a used barrel, especially since a new barrel is 300 bucks ready to go...
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You might also consider 350 Legend (same bolt face)
New barrel is probably the best choice.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
what you want done will cost more than a new barrel.  If the barrel is 223 bore you would have to have it bored out then rifling cut. I doubt you could even find someone to do one barrel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
It used to be a viable alternative. But, it's too labor intensive to be popular and like many noble endeavors requiring craftsmanship, it's too expensive for the normal folks to afford. It's much cheaper to have a run of 100 pieces made from raw materials than take a single piece and set up the machines to do the job.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
You might also consider 350 Legend (same bolt face)
New barrel is probably the best choice.
View Quote

Was trying to catch a break.........probably just buy one from Shaw.......I just installed one on a Savage Model 10 and have another inbound.........Im sticking with 300 AAC BLK as I have about 3500 rounds  on hand...........
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emrisg] [#7]
Buy a new barrel. You will be way better off and it will probably be cheaper.

There is really no way to get a new barrel on the cheap unless someone has the ability and equipment to install/ chamber themselves

And yes bartlein is the shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top