Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2024 4:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn]
Found this stuff in the shed that I had bought many years ago.  Anyone know if it is still good?  I know that lubricants generally have an expiration date and this stuff is 50+ years old now.  The containers seem fairly airtight though if that matters.

This is the exact stuff.  Says "Grease Rifle" on the top.  Box shows 1971 manufacture date.  Is in cute little 2.5cc containers.  Grease smells exactly like an old ammo can, consistency seems ok and smears well, looks yellowing.  I'm not sure what it looked like originally.  

Worth trying on a garand?  How do you know if it lubes well?  Usually using Mobile 1, red stuff but would be neat to use grease that is almost as old as the rifle.

Pics aren't mine but almost exactly the same.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Greases do get nasty over time.  I'd bet it's NFG.  But a test is worth a thousand expert opinions.  Nothing to lose.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a couple 1LB cans of GI rifle grease from the 60's.

No issues using it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It's fine.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had several boxes of the same stuff. Its fine, use it
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
What color is the grease.  IIRC they changed over to a reddish grease sometime after WWII.  The older stuff was white (lubriplate).  It gets kinda watery after sitting but can be mixed back up and used with no issue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:18:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#7]
Petroleum is already millions of years old when it’s extracted from the ground so all grease is already on the verge of “going bad”. ;)

Seriously, it will be fine.

That said, there’s nothing magic about military rifle grease.  If you read the technical specifications for the reddish brown iteration dating back to WWII and the Garand, the major concern was resistance against washout.

*Any* automotive grease from your local auto parts store will be superior in terms of washout resistance, heat resistance and lubrication.

The value in that box is in the little plastic containers and their value to collectors and Garand shooters.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If the container has remained sealed, it's still good for use.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:34:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bpm990d] [#9]
It's worth far more to someone that likes to finger bang their rifle, rather than shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By svt40:
What color is the grease.  IIRC they changed over to a reddish grease sometime after WWII.  The older stuff was white (lubriplate).  It gets kinda watery after sitting but can be mixed back up and used with no issue.
View Quote

Old stuff I have come across was buff colored and did mostly dry out to a firm paste and it had drying cracks in the product in the tiny container.

The red brown stuff in the little butt trap jars was always fine.

Even the dryish buff stuff would still have some lubricity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top