Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2024 12:31:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5]
As the title says, I'm looking for my first NV mono tube.  I have enough ARs, handguns, sbrs, and suppressors.  Don't feel like building another AR and would like to get into night vision.  I've been told the L3 white phosphorus filmless is "the best" option right now.  As well as autogate (but i think this option really jacks up the price). My thing is, I don't know shit about shit about NV.  Overall goal is id like to pick up another mono tube later down the line to run a dual setup....but it's also baby steps for me.

I know other things are needed... helmet, mount, illuminator,  ect.  But those are things I can pick up "easier".  I'm sure the budget may need to be humped up some...mostly due to inflation... but maybe other reasons.  

So any input would be greatly appreciated on brands and where to buy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#1]
3k is very doable for a thin film elbit tube. The L3 tubes are nice but imo the primary advantage is in really dark environment like under forest canopy with cloud cover over the top. Learn what the specs mean and do a hand select thin film and it should serve fine in your environment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:44:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MunnyShot] [#2]
If you're planning to eventually run a dual tube setup by buying a second 14 later.... DONT. Running dual 14s is gonna be @ 2lbs (including counter weight) is every weight crushing down on your neck. Other downsides like having to adjust 2 gain knobs, power buttons etc is not ideal. Do your self a favor and buy binos from the start you'll thank me later. I went down the dual 14 route before and at the time after everything that was said and done the cost was @ the same as going binos
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
We have Green phosphor Echo spec PVS14s new on sale now for $2899. in stock and shipping out the same day you order. These are autogated, manual gain control and standard accessories.

We will have more SLH grade Elbit tubes in a month or so, they have been out of stock for a while. Those will also be at/near the price point your looking at.

Let me know if you have any questions or if we can help you.
View Quote

@Lowdown3
OP I hope you don’t mind that I piggyback.

What does a mid range set of binos cost or are there too many variables to ballpark it?
Thank you in advance.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for JRH..  two PVS14s from him and excellent to work with both times
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Did FTF with JRH last month, good to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Throwsabender:

@Lowdown3
OP I hope you don’t mind that I piggyback.
View Quote

Its no worries.  I can build an AR with my eyes closed but when it comes to NV it might as well be another language.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:08:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#9]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
We have Green phosphor Echo spec PVS14s new on sale now for $2899. in stock and shipping out the same day you order. These are autogated, manual gain control and standard accessories.

We will have more SLH grade Elbit tubes in a month or so, they have been out of stock for a while. Those will also be at/near the price point your looking at.

Let me know if you have any questions or if we can help you.
View Quote

I have been fortunate enough to look through some green and white NV and really like the white so I'd prefer to go with those.  I also don't mind bumping up the budget some if it's worth it.  I'm just not trying to turn a 3k budget into a 5k+ "budget".

I'll have to give you a PM about those others you are talking about.  If there is a small wait that's fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Auto-gating is an absolute must. Don’t get anything without.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Auto-gating is an absolute must. Don’t get anything without.
View Quote

Thats what I've been told.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
You could start with an echo tube in a Tanto housing to save some weight down the weight down the road if you wanna add another tube. You can probably keep it real close to 3k also. Kinda wish I woulda done this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#14]
JRH was great as I was (still am) a newbie and did similar shopping ad the end of last year. I went thin film because I wanted as good specs as I could for my budget, and super high speed was not what I was after. I want to wander around and look at some shit in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:24:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#15]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By azmp5:
As the title says, I'm looking for my first NV mono tube.  I have enough ARs, handguns, sbrs, and suppressors.  Don't feel like building another AR and would like to get into night vision.  I've been told the L3 white phosphorus filmless is "the best" option right now.  As well as autogate (but i think this option really jacks up the price). My thing is, I don't know shit about shit about NV.  Overall goal is id like to pick up another mono tube later down the line to run a dual setup....but it's also baby steps for me.

I know other things are needed... helmet, mount, illuminator,  ect.  But those are things I can pick up "easier".  I'm sure the budget may need to be humped up some...mostly due to inflation... but maybe other reasons.  

So any input would be greatly appreciated on brands and where to buy.
View Quote

I would see if you can find any local guys that would be willing to let you check out their gear in person. Being able to see and try out gear before you buy might help you in your decision making.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#18]
$3K before tax and shipping is reasonable, but even then you might have to go a shade above that price point (maybe to $3,300 or $3,200).  

Look for sales, Black Friday is a good time of year to make big purchases provided you can wait that long.  Of course, hunt hard for discount codes, even a saving of a few percent can translate into big time money at that level.

Used market isn't a bad place to go either, if you can find a PVS14 from a company that will allow for the warranty to be transferred from the original buyer to subsequent buyer that would be very nice.  They typical night vision journey is to go from single tube to duals at some point, so there are some nice used PVS14s out there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top