Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:33 AM EDT
Did my first batch last week in purple.  They came out nice.

Tried this week with blue and gold, Can't get the powder to stick to bullet.

I have tried to include plastic BB's for static, no go.

Any suggestions?    

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure bullets are CLEAN. Swirl, swirl, swirl, swirl, shake hard, shake hard. Use good powder. Preferably from Smoke on Castboolits.com. He also has a list and pics of which powders work best. Has to be a "shiny" or metallic powder. Matte or flat colors you're pretty much wasting your time. Some say the humidity needs to be pretty low. Go over to castboolits.com and read, read, read.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]

It's best done during the coldest driest time of year

warm humid air is not good for static

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I think humidity is my issue today.

Now have setup in a room with dehumidifier.  

Will try again tomorrow.

Coat them indoors and bake outside.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#5]
depends on the powder. not all pc works by tumbling. hot flocking works but be careful of the temps. too hot and you will end up with a blob instead of a bullet. i like about 100-110* bullet temp. it was the only way hf powder would work unless i sprayed them. i also have a bronze metal flake that needs a very long shake time. but it does turn out good. And i have to add a little more powder than other colors to get it to work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
i bought a deluxe full on starter kit to powder coat back in 2001. it came from eastwood co. its all here still unopened in the boxes. i opened the outer shipping box only then been busy with life since. can trade if anybody needs a set. youll need an air compressor which i didnt have or else i would have used it by now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I am using Prismatic powders.   Got them from amazon.

I will try again today but may need different powders.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Humidity is the problem. Also, cheap Harbor Freight powder sucks. Get Smoke's. I've been casting for years with the shake and bake method in cheap plastic tubs and baked in a $5 Goodwill toaster oven.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Step 1: Get smokes powder from castboolits.

Step 2: *Preheat your bullets. I like to put them on top of my toaster oven while it heats up. They should be hot enough that it isnt fun holding them, but not hot enough that you cant hold them.

Step 3: Shake in the proper plastic container with your powdercoat. Yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese containers all do this. I think they have the triagle with a 5 on the bottom. Swirl, dont just bounce up and down.

Step 4: Sift off the excess powder. I have a wire mesh strainer thing I stole from my wife. I just shake them till the extra powder falls off. Then, I reuse that powder later.

Step 5: Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Stand them up pretty with forcepts first if you want. Not needed, but will help make them look prettier.

Step 6: Size and load.

*Preheating the bullets helps defeat humidity and promotes the static electricity that you need to get good adhesion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top