Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2023 10:45:53 AM EDT
I have a 82a1.  I have a barrett qdl.

What do I need to do to add the can.  

All the adapters say 95/107 only.

@50cal

I know you said remove the accelerator.

Can you expand on this.

I'll add pics later so others can do the same.

And kinks to parts

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I was there a very short time when the qdl was being developed.
Removing the accelerator and accelerator rod was for the older 82a1's. There was also a booster spring between the rear of the can and the front of the upper receiver.  That is no longer needed.

Not sure about the adapter needed on the rifles now.
Hopefully someone with a new 82a1/M107 can chime in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

The 82 I have is new and has the 2 springs at the front.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MGGUYMCR:
Thanks.

The 82 I have is new and has the 2 springs at the front.
View Quote

You talking about the 2 barrel springs attached to the barrel key? The whole 82A1 style family of rifles have those.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:43:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7insert] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50cal:
I was there a very short time when the qdl was being developed.
Removing the accelerator and accelerator rod was for the older 82a1's. There was also a booster spring between the rear of the can and the front of the upper receiver.  That is no longer needed.

Not sure about the adapter needed on the rifles now.
Hopefully someone with a new 82a1/M107 can chime in.
View Quote

Not taking any liability for blowing up your sweet rifle with this post

@50cal please jump in at any point and school me

Lets get started;
So from fiddling with my newer (2021) model M82A1 the accelerator is still there as one expects and is still indicated on the official schematic (https://barrett.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Model-82A1-Exploded-View-for-barrett.net_.pdf) which is dated 2021.

Its my understanding of the m82a1 suppression "issue" involves the can adding too much backpressure causing increased recoil and stress on the weapons system. This wear of course culminating in system failures. The accelerator and accelerator rod assists the barrett in unlocking faster to deal with some weird loadings and generally improve reliability. The traditional advice of removing these will sacrifice reliability for reduced recoil with the thought process being that the backpressure of the can will do its job.

From comparing the above m82a1 to m107a1 schematic (https://barrett.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/M107A1-Exploded-View-for-barrett.net_.pdf) It looks like the accelerator rod has been redesigned to incorporate a "Bolt Extender" (Part 33) in the 107a1. Additionally we can see a hydraulic rotating buffer for the 107a1, a one piece firing pin and a slight change on the bolt itself. I have no input on the bolt or firing pin changes, but the hydraulic buffer of course is going to improve the recoil dampening which will help.

After trolling through the barrett parts store and trying to find m107a1 specific vs m82a1 specific parts I cant find anything other than the aforementioned;
1) Buffer changes
2) Bolt changes
3) Firing pin changes
4) Accelerator changes

With an m82a1
1) Buffer changes - Easy $475 https://barrett.net/shop/kit-hydraulic-buffer-assembly-and-sleeve/
2) Bolt changes - Impossible/Unknown
3) Firing pin changes - Likely little impact on suppressor performance
4) Accelerator changes - Delete rod entirely and sacrifice unsuppressed cycling(?)
I think most important would be trying to track down a low backpressure 50bmg suppressor.
KGM made a can called the R50 at one point that was optimized to run on an unmolested m82a1 but it is since discontinued. I am unsure of any further candidates in that class though.
It might also be possible to get a stronger recoil spring to increase dwell time, but that would likely cause cycling issues with subsonic ammunition and will be a headache of a project.

The real question is, Who is going to try this first for us?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I should also add, Barrett has a different part number for the m107a1 20" and 29" barrel springs vs the m82a1 recoil springs. Of course they use the same image for both so you cant just count coils to determine if they are different springs and to what degree.
Im not sure if they are stronger to accommodate more barrel pull during suppressed firing
OR
If they are weaker to allow the redesigned accelerator rod system to prevent oversprung conditions.

https://barrett.net/shop/kit-barrel-spring-assembly-29-m107a1-qty-2/
https://barrett.net/shop/barrel-springs-model-82a1/

if someone wants to spend $70 and put them on a spring gauge to answer the question that would probably be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If you call Barrett customer service and ask this question they will tell you using a can on an 82 will void the warranty.  They may or may not tell you that your 82 with a can would more than likely break fairly quickly and they would know exactly why it broke.  That's what they told me when I took a class at Barrett.  

Get a 107.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
At one time Barrett was coming out with a kit for mounting a suppressor on the M82... It never reached the market as far as i know..

It was in their 2011 price list under part 12775  .50 BMG Suppressor Kit for Model 82A1® (Available Q3)

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top