BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2023 10:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:06:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#1]
Yes.

Please let's not have another ADCO is being Sued threads.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#2]
Are we talking about a Personal Protection Order, or a RO re assets and property?

The former, and you are correct. In Michigan that is a separate action with a different case number distinct from the divorce case.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#3]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:29:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#5]
Originally Posted By bigbore:
restraining order reads  "It is further ordered adjudged and decreed the defendant is enjoined from entering the residence located at..."

I'm not a 2A lawyer, but my read is that the above wording is NOT "restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?"
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
@LawyerUp

He may have a good opinion.

I'd say that the purchase is a no-go.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By AJE:
Ohio LE here.... "Protection orders" are what really has teeth with enforcement.  Restraining orders are not quite the same.  If that's the entirety of the order, it doesn't mention weapons, it just says he has to stay away from the residence.  Looks like more of a divorce case and not something he's been arrested for.

This is what a protection order looks like

https://www.pdffiller.com/preview/0/244/244813/large.png

Or

https://img.yumpu.com/51387375/1/500x640/form-1002-a-domestic-violence-temporary-protection-order-.jpg

The next page will have check boxes, one or which restricts the respondent from having access to weapons, and may specify they have to turn over any weapons currently in their possession.
View Quote

That looks to be a civil matter injunctive order to me. That’s no DV related.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Not an Ohio lawyer, but it sounds like your everyday temporary order in a divorce that has zero effect on gun rights. For Ohio questions I ask Chris Wiest out of KY, who is also licensed in Ohio.

If you want to PM me I'll get you his number.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:00:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Now you are opening a can of beans bringing the state of Ohio into this.   If you live in a state where you can legally smoke pot, and do -  you are still prohibited.  You smoke pot or you don't. You are subject to a restraining order, or you aren't.  Wouldn't the same apply here?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
Not an Ohio lawyer, but it sounds like your everyday temporary order in a divorce that has zero effect on gun rights. For Ohio questions I ask Chris Wiest out of KY, who is also licensed in Ohio.

If you want to PM me I'll get you his number.

Now you are opening a can of beans bringing the state of Ohio into this.   If you live in a state where you can legally smoke pot, and do -  you are still prohibited.  You smoke pot or you don't. You are subject to a restraining order, or you aren't.  Wouldn't the same apply here?

What federal law/regulation is referring to is state law domestic violence protective orders. Language ordering some general restraint or prohibition isn't the same thing. I don't think there's any chance the guy is a prohibited person just by virtue of the language shown. DVPOs will be creatures of state law. I think the federal language is generalizing to include these, which could vary between states.

Including language to the effect of "neither party will harass the other, etc., etc.," can be common in general family court orders. If people are taking these orders and showing them to dealers or LE, they are probably just causing unnecessary drama.

eta: just speaking from the issue of whether he is a prohibited person and not from the POV of FFL compliance, as I don't practice in that area at all.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#19]

Seems it is just a temporary division of assets, while divorce is in progress (stating who lives where) and does not to meet criteria:

i. Are you subject to a court order, including a Military Protection Order issued by a military judge or magistrate, restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?

Obviously there might be a lot more not shown, but that is what I see.

ETA:

Note the order does not prevent him from seeing his wife.  He could spend every day with her and have make-up sex as long as it is not in that house. They could even go to the gun range together.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AJE:
Ohio LE here.... "Protection orders" are what really has teeth with enforcement.  Restraining orders are not quite the same.
View Quote

What it is called does not matter for the purposes of a 4473:

i. Are you subject to a court order, including a Military Protection Order issued by a military judge or magistrate, restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?

If it is Court Ordered and restrains you from one of the 3 critiera to one of the 3 subjects - no gun for you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#22]
If a guy is going through a divorce and the judge issues a restraining order, keeping him from the home he shared with his wife - -  would that disqualify him from buying a gun?

IMO yes, a court issued restraining order is a court issued order.

View Quote

Went through this exact scenario. During the RO I was not allowed to posses any firearms and my Conceal Carry Permit was revoke. Once my RO was dismissed in it's entirety my 2A rights were restored. Had to prove that the RO was dismissed in order to even qualify for my CCP again. I have bought many more after without issue. If you have an active RO against you best to just stay away from firearms until you settle your shit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Any TPO I've ever served specifically mentioned any firearms prohibition.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:18:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#24]
I finally spoke to someone who works for the county

According to them the question on the 4473 is asking if you are subject to a court ordered RO.
View Quote

Are they a lawyer, ATF Agent or FFL? Otherwise what makes them SME on what the question asks?

Seriously this is not that hard. It is quite clear what the question asks. It has three parts-

1) Must be "subject to a court order" - in your case YES.
2) must be to restrain from "harassing, stalking, or threatening" - in your case NO.
3) Must be specific individuals "child or an intimate partner or child of such partner" - in your case YES.

Meet all 3, no gun for you. 1 of 3, or 2 of 3, no problem.

Now if this is "asking for a friend", sure he can go buy somewhere.

But in your case, this is customer told you he had this CO and apparently showed it to you? Yeah run away (like ATF said) because there is almost certainly more than he is telling you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:49:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#25]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Situations like this are why the Rahimi case at the USSC is so important.  This looks like a boilerplate order where the parties agree that one is staying in the marital residence and the other is leaving.  Zero indication of violence, DV, harassment, stalking, etc... yet fundamental rights are revoked.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
This RO is over 4yrs old, back when the question on the 4473 was more vague "are you subject to a court order restraining you...."
The guy moved out of that house 6 months prior.
The injunction includes harassing, stalking, bothering, etc..
The motion requesting the RO speaks of violence that occurred between them.
View Quote

ROFL.

Had you mentioned that in the OP, this thread would have had an entirely different set of answers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#29]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Ost
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Let’s look at how the statute 18 US Code 922 defines a person subject to restraining orders:

(8) who is subject to a court order that--

(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate;

(B) restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child;  and

(C)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child;  or

(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top