Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2021 10:10:04 PM EDT
We bought a new shotgun for my son to shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays.    He was using a Yildiz hps sporting and hitting well with it.    The IFG was supposed to be an upgrade for it.     He has been to two practices shooting trap and skeet and his scores are way lower than with the Yildiz.     Yesterday we patterned the IFG gun with chokes he would be using for trap, skeet, and sc at different distance from 16 yds to 35 yds.    The IFG gun shoots a pattern 80 percent above point of aim and 20 percent below point of aim true to center of aim.    The bottom barrel is a pure disaster.    It hits 6 inches left and 2-3 inches low from point of aim.   This to me is unacceptable as the Yildiz patterns 30 above and 70 below with impact at point of aim on both barrels using the Yildiz chokes.    I'm going to call the imported tomorrow.    Anybody have any suggestions to rectify this other than spending huge amounts of money to true the barrels?   One thing I did notice is that both barrels at the choke end of the barrels are not even thickness in diameter.   The wall of the barrel on the top is thinner on one side and the bottom barrel is thinner on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't buy guns named Yildiz and IDT.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#2]
This. I’m sorry you wasted you money on junk.

I’d be looking at a used Citori or a Beretta
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
This. I’m sorry you wasted you money on junk.

I’d be looking at a used Citori or a Beretta
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion, next time I'll mention that to the parents of the kid using the DT11 with the TSK stock who lost the final round of trap at regionals to my son using his Yildiz.    27 kids in his club and he's the only one who got 25 in trap this year again using the Yildiz against all of the above you mentioned in my son's first year of shotgun sports.

Girl who won the national championship used the same IFG shotgun we bought.    It's true, past performance doesn't equal future results and it looks like we got a bad one.    I'm sure beretta and browning never have any problems with their offerings and the person on the shotgun forum with the mx-10 with regulation problems simply didn't know what they were talking about and should have bought a beretta or browning.

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By minimalist65:

Thanks for the suggestion, next time I'll mention that to the parents of the kid using the DT11 with the TSK stock who lost the final round of trap at regionals to my son using his Yildiz.    27 kids in his club and he's the only one who got 25 in trap this year again using the Yildiz against all of the above you mentioned in my son's first year of shotgun sports.

Girl who won the national championship used the same IFG shotgun we bought.    It's true, past performance doesn't equal future results and it looks like we got a bad one.    I'm sure beretta and browning never have any problems with their offerings and the person on the shotgun forum with the mx-10 with regulation problems simply didn't know what they were talking about and should have bought a beretta or browning.

View Quote

I will withhold my comments, then.  I'm sure that we will see Yildiz and IFG guns in the winners' circle of clay competitions for years to come.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell it and move on to the next gun, life is too short to be married to a gun that doesn't perform as needed.
Put the word out that you are looking for a new set up and see what everyone has collecting dust in their gun safes that they may be willing to sell, this should allow you to shoot the gun before buying.
Ask to shoot other guys guns during practice rounds, see what feels good and what doesn't. I've shoot a lot of my friends "B" guns and some fit like a glove and some don't.

My double barrel on my Kolar shoots to the left, I have learned to live with it but someday I will probably dump it for a new set up. I only shoot trap doubles with the over and under barrel so I know how to compensate for it as all the targets we shoot at in doubles are constant, but it still is a pain in the ass to have to think about it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bosqueboy:
Sell it and move on to the next gun, life is too short to be married to a gun that doesn't perform as needed.
Put the word out that you are looking for a new set up and see what everyone has collecting dust in their gun safes that they may be willing to sell, this should allow you to shoot the gun before buying.
Ask to shoot other guys guns during practice rounds, see what feels good and what doesn't. I've shoot a lot of my friends "B" guns and some fit like a glove and some don't.

My double barrel on my Kolar shoots to the left, I have learned to live with it but someday I will probably dump it for a new set up. I only shoot trap doubles with the over and under barrel so I know how to compensate for it as all the targets we shoot at in doubles are constant, but it still is a pain in the ass to have to think about it.
View Quote

Spoke to IFG they want me to pattern the gun at 25 yds using a rest from the sitting position.    I also sent pictures of the end of the barrel showing the inner and outer diameter not being concentric.     Don't have a problem with selling the gun but I want the manufacturer to correct the issue before I sell it to someone else.     Comp N Choke said that worst case scenario they could bore the barrel for either another factory choke that would fit or make custom chokes.     The club does single trap, skeet, sporting clays, and super sport.    We also do 4H so we do modified trap, international skeet, and whiz bang at state.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 4:13:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I instruct/RSO 3 days a week on a trap range out here in Vegas.  I see guns that don't work/fit people every day.
Best advice is to sell it and learn from the experience.  IMHO, Yildiz has the best sub $1k over under out there.
If you start out fighting the sight picture/pattern from the 16, it will be misery when you start heading back to the fence.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Clastac:
I instruct/RSO 3 days a week on a trap range out here in Vegas.  I see guns that don't work/fit people every day.
Best advice is to sell it and learn from the experience.  IMHO, Yildiz has the best sub $1k over under out there.
If you start out fighting the sight picture/pattern from the 16, it will be misery when you start heading back to the fence.....
View Quote

Turned out the front sight was installed incorrectly off to the right because the manufacturer drilled the hole for the sight at an angle.   Being fixed now.    You by chance a RSO at the Clark County place?    We went there while my wife and FIL were gambling.    Neat place, rented a couple of over and under's for the kids to shoot a couple of rounds.    Real nice people there.

Both kids have the Yildiz HPS sporting 30".   Older son ran 94 in trap at State, missed a few on the first round cause he was nervous.   Hates going first.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By minimalist65:

Turned out the front sight was installed incorrectly off to the right because the manufacturer drilled the hole for the sight at an angle.   Being fixed now.    You by chance a RSO at the Clark County place?    We went there while my wife and FIL were gambling.    Neat place, rented a couple of over and under's for the kids to shoot a couple of rounds.    Real nice people there.

Both kids have the Yildiz HPS sporting 30".   Older son ran 94 in trap at State, missed a few on the first round cause he was nervous.   Hates going first.
View Quote

Yeap I'm out at the Clark County Shooting Complex.  Glad ya'll had a good time, hope to see ya'll again.

Sounds like you got a good shooter there with a bright future!
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Clastac:

Yeap I'm out at the Clark County Shooting Complex.  Glad ya'll had a good time, hope to see ya'll again.

Sounds like you got a good shooter there with a bright future!
View Quote

Oh yeah, we want to go back.    That place is really nice.    The kids and I were impressed as we don't have that many trap/skeet fields at any one place around DFW.    I think you guys actually have more trap/skeet than the National Shooting complex in San Antonio.

Have they had a national competition at the CCSC?

Both kids are shooting both private club and 4H this year.   Think they'll do great this year.    Thanks for the compliment.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mindless:
Don't buy guns named Yildiz and IDT.
View Quote

This. You will not experience the magic of a double with a cheap one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yidliz seem to be the top of the heap of the Turkish guns and come relatively well-regarded.

The issue becomes support and modularity if your kid keeps shooting. You can rebuild a 68X series Beretta cheaply and quickly. You can re-fit it with different barrels, etc. Nothing wrong with a Yidliz, but there's a reason you don't see them in the winners' circle beyond youth competitions.
Top Top