Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2023 11:46:29 PM EDT
"Well, mountain bikes don't really play well with people over 200lbs."

Thats how the conversation started.

I've had my bike for a year, and I took it in for a tuneup after 3 rides this year.

I'll pick it up tomorrow, but they've got me down for:
-new rear brake pads
-new derailleur bracket
-new chain
-new lockring
-new cables (maybe)
-tune shifter, shocks, and bleed/fill brakes

Worn it out, apparently. Trek Fuel Ex 8.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
So you don't ride on the road much I gather
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:57:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ASUsax] [#2]
I'm well over 200lbs, and that seems... excessive... for a mountain bike.

Don't get me wrong, I've had issues with lightweight, road bike components. I specifically had a wheelset that lasted a month. (The manager at the store who sold it to me was kinda pissed, saying his employee should have known better,  and gave me the value of that wheelset towards a more expensive one that's been fine since) But mountain bikes... they've been rock solid.

That said, I don't get airborne intentionally that often (or that high), so if you do, maybe. But good stuff should last a while.

ETA: Chains and pads are wear items that I expect to have to replace, so keep those out of that thought.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I put close to 4k miles a year on my road bike. Some times you get hit at one time. Disk,pads,chain it adds up. I’ll soon need to replace my cassette and derailer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked her up today. $304 even. They didn't have to do cables.

Took it out and hit some trails. Feels good, man! Like a brand new bike. I was pretty smoked, being between night shifts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
"Well, mountain bikes don't really play well with people over 200lbs."

Thats how the conversation started.

I've had my bike for a year, and I took it in for a tuneup after 3 rides this year.

I'll pick it up tomorrow, but they've got me down for:
-new rear brake pads
-new derailleur bracket
-new chain
-new lockring
-new cables (maybe)
-tune shifter, shocks, and bleed/fill brakes

Worn it out, apparently. Trek Fuel Ex 8.
View Quote

That 200lb idea is kind of silly.  Once you get over 300, though, the guys in my local shop tell me they really do start to wear out a lot of bearings a lot faster.

New cables and brake pads after 3 rides?  What were they, 300 miles each?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Holy cows dude. Maybe it depends on how much over 200lbs.

I’m right at 200lbs and I put just over 1,000 miles on my Stumpjumper Evo last year. I’m at 200 miles already this year.

Last year I wore out a set of tires and brake pads.

Learn to do your own maintenance. If you can build an AR or reload you can work on a bike. Changing brake pads takes less than 5 minutes. A derailleur hanger wouldn’t take much longer than that to change. Youtube anything you don’t know how to do. It’s all easy once you have the tools.  Amazon is the place to buy tools.

We’re a family of 5 that all mountain bikes. I’d be bankrupt if I didn’t know how to adjust derailleurs, set up tubeless tires, do fork seals, bleed brakes etc etc etc
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Just buy a regular bike from WM.  You can replace it every year for much less cost.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a (mostly) muscular 250 right meow.  This shop does a lot of upsells, but I needed the time more than the money.  They've been pretty dang good to me and the community, so I don't mind it too much.

I've struggled with adjusting the derailleur a few times, and aced it a few.  I put well over 300 miles of mostly black diamond trails on it last year.  It does ride quite nicely now.  I discovered a new trail yesterday and I'll be popping my cherry on another one or two tomorrow or Thursday.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 2:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1911LVR:
Just buy a regular bike from WM.  You can replace it every year for much less cost.
View Quote

With a side of 10x frustration & bitching.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

This is the worst idea ever.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By brian4wd:

View Quote

Originally Posted By Soconmtneer:

View Quote
Kinda like buying a Hi Point instead of cleaning and maintaining a custom 1911. Or buying a new shitbox car every year instead of fixing a nice one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pretty much this. One of the loop trails that we like to ride is 12 miles, but you can get off at certain points and ride pavement back to the parking lot. During the great COVID bike purchase we would fine parts from big store bikes scattered along the trail. You could ride a couple of days and build a bike from lost parts. We even found a seat one time. That must have been a helluva ride out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
It could be worse
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

...and ER bills if he's riding black diamond trails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top